The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats great news for us then, as the Canucks might leapfrog Edmonton into playoff relevance. 

I doubt the fanbase has the patience for Hollands plan tho. 

Or McDavid.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well thats great news for us then, as the Canucks might leapfrog Edmonton into playoff relevance. 

I doubt the fanbase has the patience for Hollands plan tho. 

Que rebuild #5

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point, you have to wonder what he would want to do knowing Hollands plan is to wait a while longer. 

It's not to wait longer - it's to build something that is sustainable rather than put bandaids.  If McDavid can see that there is a plan in place to have the team improve it's very different than the chaos they have been in the past years.  The Canucks are asking the same patience out of Boeser, Horvat who was drafted 2 years earlier than McDavid.

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good point, you have to wonder what he would want to do knowing Hollands plan is to wait a while longer. 

This. The pressure is on Holland for sure. I give McD two more seasons. Maybe one. If things are status quo then the murmurs of him wanting out will start. Hypothetically, if this was to happen would it necessarily be a bad thing for the Oilers? The return would be huge and may just kick start them properly. It may be a good thing for them to actually look at what kind of depth they could build from that one trade. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mll said:

It's not to wait longer - it's to build something that is sustainable rather than put bandaids.  If McDavid can see that there is a plan in place to have the team improve it's very different than the chaos they have been in the past years.  The Canucks are asking the same patience out of Boeser, Horvat who was drafted 2 years earlier than McDavid.

For sure but I would argue we Canucks have done a better job rebuilding at all positions. It's slow, but without the benefit of number one and top three picks I think JB has built up way more organizational depth.

23 minutes ago, mll said:

'build something sustainable' isn't a quick process, if Holland is starting that now McDavid is going to be 26/27 before that happens if they want to do that through the draft.

They can shave at least a year off that by packaging Lucic with their 8th oa and get something valuable back as well, maybe even a goalie prospect. 

I don't think McD signed that big extension thinking he'd have to endure a rebuild already. But maybe Holland is already thinking about another high lotto pick, with their KHL goalie thats where they're likely headed. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If Calgary is looking to move Neal would an Eriksson for Neal swap make more sense? Neal is slightly younger and far less removed from a 25 goal season. He would be slightly cheaper but at longer term. Calgary might be willing to take less term and if Eriksson could rebound a bit, he could still be an effective 3rd liner for them.

54 minutes ago, mll said:

EDM's rebuild started long before ours and we're arguably further ahead. Never mind Holland all but starting it over now, to 'build something sustainable'.

We're not remotely asking the same thing of Horvat et al.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, mll said:

Not comparable when you think that McDavid joined the team on the heals of their 1st generation rebuild.  He's seen an awful lot of 1st rounders leave the team and now it looks like the current rebuild will continue for some time.

Bo was drafted 2 years earlier than McDavid, but spent an extra year in Jrs and Brock was drafted in the same year.

13 hours ago, DontFockWithBrock said:

I see trading up from 10th for 8th pick as not a very big deal. It's only 2 spots, and you might get your guy at 10 anyways. I'm more open to trading back within the top 15 and getting some more ammo at this draft or next. 

Maybe we get up to 8 and then move down for extra picks...

At the 2008 nhl draft the islanders had pick #5 and moved down twice. They traded #5 to the leafs (who then drafted Luke Schenn) for pick #7 along with #68(that they flipped for #72 and #102) and a 2009 2nd rounder. Then they traded #7 to the preds for #9 and #40. 

Long story short they traded down 4 spots and received two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th. Not to mention the player they drafted at 9 ended up being better than the 4 players drafted from 5-8.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JC2 said:

If Calgary is looking to move Neal would an Eriksson for Neal swap make more sense? Neal is slightly younger and far less removed from a 25 goal season. He would be slightly cheaper but at longer term. Calgary might be willing to take less term and if Eriksson could rebound a bit, he could still be an effective 3rd liner for them.

Neals a guy ive wondered about.

Not sure if Calgary would want to take on Eriksson given there wanna be contender status but I wonder if they would sweeten the pot for us to take Neal. They have a few good young defenseman.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'll probably find another team to support if Benning trades for that worthless waste of oxygen.  Hopefully he has the sense to avoid Messier 2.0.

And with Milan's honker, he sucks up a lot of O2!  :shock:

I sure would love to see us have guy that stands up for Petey though.  If not Milan, then who?  Is Gadjovic ready to bop with the big boys of the NHL?  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And with Milan's honker, he sucks up a lot of O2!  :shock:

I sure would love to see us have guy that stands up for Petey though.  If not Milan, then who?  Is Gadjovic ready to bop with the big boys of the NHL?  

Reaves would be fine.  The only fighting Lucic seems to do these days is throw temper tantrums when someone drills him with a clean hit.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Id love to see us look at weaponizing cap space & getting a younger player/asset. We dont have alot of assets, but one asset weve had is cap space. And this regime has refused to weaponize it. Instead we just sign our own bad contracts. 

I'd prefer we target the likes of Tampa.

Take on one year of Callahan, retain 50% on Tanev's one year (to replace the soon departing Stralman) and see what we can get out of them in the way of Foote, picks etc.

• Cheers 1