The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Lucic says he would like to play here

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Yeah that story got me pretty pumped about him. It's remenicent of the way Leivo was in TO last year. They knew he was ready for a bigger role and did a solid by trading him. Plus watching the few games I have of Baileys he never looked bad via the "eye test". I don't see him becoming a scoring forward but a good energy forward, with 3rd line potential. Not a bad pick up.

Only issue I see is a spot on the NHL club. He just doesn't have that spot (unless he knocks someone out in camp) yet, so I wonder where he gets the impression that he has more opportunity here (maybe he thought so before the Ferland signing) versus Philly unless Philly was just blowing smoke and really didn't think much of him.

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Only issue I see is a spot on the NHL club. He just doesn't have that spot (unless he knocks someone out in camp) yet, so I wonder where he gets the impression that he has more opportunity here (maybe he thought so before the Ferland signing) versus Philly unless Philly was just blowing smoke and really didn't think much of him.

For sure, he's going to have to earn it like Motte did last year. If he has that kind of camp management have proven that they will make the moves to keep you on the roster if you've earned it. I'm pulling for him but his roster spot is not guaranteed that's for sure!

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For sure, he's going to have to earn it like Motte did last year. If he has that kind of camp management have proven that they will make the moves to keep you on the roster if you've earned it. I'm pulling for him but his roster spot is not guaranteed that's for sure!

I am hoping MacEwen has a great camp and gets the 4th line RW spot.

How would you compare Justin Bailey to MacEwen? I do not know enough about Bailey to compare.

38 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Having Bailey here does make it seem like a Virtanen or Motte may be expendable (for what purpose, I'm not sure yet). Based on Bailey's interview, it sounded like he believed there was a real opportunity here to stick and that's why he chose to sign here as opposed to simply staying in Philly where they basically told him that he might crack the roster so they gave him the chance to shop himself by not qualifying him.

Jake might get traded, but the return would need to be a lot.  215 pound guys, with his shot, ability to hit crazy hard, and are super fast aren’t easy to come by.  Jake as a third line guy, who puts up 15 to 25 goals, while creating devastating hits is a very valuable player.  He’s already that player, and his cap hit is tiny.  His type of player is needed to win Cups.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Jake might get traded, but the return would need to be a lot.  215 pound guys, with his shot, ability to hit crazy hard, and are super fast aren’t easy to come by.  Jake as a third line guy, who puts up 15 to 25 goals, while creating devastating hits is a very valuable player.  He’s already that player, and his cap hit is tiny.  His type of player is needed to win Cups.  

Agreed.

I hope JB does not trade Virtanen unless he can get a minute munching big D man like Risto or similar.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be a fair trade: Jake for Risto.  

Well that's what makes him valuable. And yes it would have to hopefully get someone like a Risto. The point is we have someone that believes there is a legit shot here, which means management must've let him know something that would make him believe so because as it stands barring an impressive camp, he's in the Utica depth zone which is no different had he stayed in Philly. There are plenty of other teams that could give him a better chance at cracking an NHL roster spot right now.

So I'm not advocating that we dump him or anything, but just from the sounds of the Bailey interview that something may be up.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well that's what makes him valuable. And yes it would have to hopefully get someone like a Risto. The point is we have someone that believes there is a legit shot here, which means management must've let him know something that would make him believe so because as it stands barring an impressive camp, he's in the Utica depth zone which is no different had he stayed in Philly. There are plenty of other teams that could give him a better chance at cracking an NHL roster spot right now.

So I'm not advocating that we dump him or anything, but just from the sounds of the Bailey interview that something may be up.

Jake is a middle six guy, who can score, hit, skate, play smart defensively, and is 2015 pounds.  Bailey, if he makes our team, is a bottom line guy.  He doesn’t have the skills to play any other role.  Jake and Bailey are not competing for the same spot in the lineup.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Jake is a middle six guy, who can score, hit, skate, play smart defensively, and is 2015 pounds.  Bailey, if he makes our team, is a bottom line guy.  He doesn’t have the skills to play any other role.  Jake and Bailey are not competing for the same spot in the lineup.  

Bailey is another big guy (6'4 214lbs) that can skate well from what I've read. Even if Bailey is a step below Virtanen, the point is Virtanen would be a valuable trade asset and most of the attributes that he provides is similarly replaced with someone like Bailey.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am hoping MacEwen has a great camp and gets the 4th line RW spot.

How would you compare Justin Bailey to MacEwen? I do not know enough about Bailey to compare.

I'm pulling for big Mac as well. But I think he is still able to clear waivers, he would have to really push hard for a spot to get on the team. I'm hoping either Bailey or Mac take a 4th line winger spot. To be honest I have only viewed Bailey a few times, I liked what I saw defensively and skating wise from him. He's big and can forecheck, but isn't a "hitting" machine per say for his size. I'd like to see him be more aggressive. But overall great young player to have in our fold. I'm forcasting a "Leivo" type season for him if he makes the team. 20-25 pts. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, KanNuck said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jesse-puljujarvi-tells-oilers-trade-ill-play-europe/sn-amp/

https://globalnews.ca/news/5429797/edmonton-oilers-qualifying-offers-jesse-puljujarvi-jujhar-khaira/amp/

first off, Lucic is not ever coming here these rumors are at this point unfounded and ridiculous we have no need for him we have bodies that play a physical style already

Ferland

Virtanen

Benn

Roussel

J.T. Miller

According to Dan Murphy he was offered a trade in March and Declined to go to the Oil. Jim rather than grab Lucic went another way. That ship has sailed he missed it.

As for Puljujarvi well, he’s not lived up to his hype 37 points in 140 games for 4th over all is not good at all. He has already had surgery on his hips, vastly affecting his play moving forward and there’s the fact he’s demanded a trade. In fact he’s don’t more than just demand a trade, he’s told the Oilers he will never play for them again and he will return to Europe if he isn’t moved.

All jokes aside, why not request a trade, keep your head down and be a pro? The guys a bust IMO. What makes it worse is he’s got attitude problems and isn’t a team guy obviously with his agent and him pulling this.

He’s not exactly the type you want with his minimal effort , his bad attitude and lack of professionalism. Top it all off with his poor conditioning. Ask yourself ,why aren’t any teams lining up for this guy? 

Back to Lucic it’s been squashed but people keep debating it. He has the worst contract in the league and even longer than Loui. Even if it was possible why help a division rival let them waste a slot for him in the entry draft and continue to bottom feed. 

Loui better start playing ball and take the next trade [if any offered] and stop acting as if he’s valuable. No one gives a **** if you can PK, not at 6M/yr. or take the demotion to a press box or Utica.

Lucic is not coming here. You don’t help division rivals out of a bind because of one under performing player. Let the tire fire burn.

AE1789D0-82A8-4051-B5A2-CEA6C17A0DBD.jpeg

F07EBD9C-005B-4D3F-AFD0-3DF32E0F41B1.jpeg

Erriksson is as bad a messier.  Actually worse. At least messier produced something.  He will be up there with the worst all time Canucks 

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Erriksson is as bad a messier.  Actually worse. At least messier produced something.  He will be up there with the worst all time Canucks 

You need to have real short term memory to genuinely believe this.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

We should build a statue in his honour. You understand what was coming back right? Thank you LE

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure what Murph is on about.  The Canucks could take back a contract - they have the cap / LE's cap space / with which to do so if they moved him - but what's the point?

That's pretty much his point as well. Ferland has gotten some of us spoiled for real.

We've got more than enough toughness, grit, and pushback. Ferland, Miller, Roussel, Benn, Virtanen, and other big bodied players like Pearson, Leivo, and Myers. Ferland really is the cherry on top.

Adding Lucic would be overkill in many regards.

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

That's pretty much his point as well. Ferland has gotten some of us spoiled for real.

?

His point is that 'you're not trading him for a bad contract because they don't have the cap space.'

Actually - they do have the cap space.  They've filled out their roster - with Eriksson's cap hit included - they can do whatever they want - take back a bad contract to move him, send him to Utica - there is no urgency to move LE and they have options, while not being backed into a no-leverage situation. 

Like I said before - the ball is squarely in LE/Barry's court - LE is in no position to be refusing to waive to go anywhere - it he does that, welcome to the AHL.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

His point is that 'you're not trading him for a bad contract because they don't have the cap space.'

Actually - they do have the cap space.  They've filled out their roster - with Eriksson's cap hit included - they can do whatever they want - take back a bad contract to move him, send him to Utica - there is no urgency to move LE and they have options, while not being backed into a no-leverage situation. 

Like I said before - the ball is squarely in LE/Barry's court - LE is in no position to be refusing to waive to go anywhere - it he does that, welcome to the AHL.

I read that as Murph saying they can't take a pure cap dump back, we still need an actual roster player coming back, even if overpaid.