The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will not qualify Brendan Gaunce

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Gaunce is an AHL scorer. He puts up very solid top 6 numbers in Utica.

And this is Gaunce's downfall.  He needs to accept the role of a hard nosed, tough to play against, fighter in the NHL.  

7 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Pyatt will be gone. Will be interesting to see who else doesn't get signed. Boucher, Kero, McEneny, Mazanec and Leighton could all go unsigned with NHL deals and I could care less.

Id resign all our other RFA's (Granlund, Goldy, Motte, Leivo, Schenn, Edler, Hutton) and then create some competition in camp. If young guys look like they can take spots of others then make some trades or waive the worst players.

McEneny and Kero are UFAs as well as Leighton.  Mazarec already signed in the Czech league.  

50 contract limit.  Canucks are at 50 this season with the signing of NCAA free agents and having them burn a year.  Burning a year is an incentive to sign.

Having an excess of vets in Utica is not ideal with the veteran limit and they could end up taking ice time/opportunities away from prospects.

15 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Utica would be gutted if they lost both Gaunce and Boucher. 

They're pretty bad with BOTH those guys like the lineup.  Right now they're team with a number of ECHL rejects and other beer league players on PTOs.  You don't want those types of players with any prospects you want to develop on the farm.  

I agree that Gaunce needs new senery.  I don't agree that he's slow.  Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he one of the fastest skaters in the in the speed trials.  He had great chemistry with Sutter, the two had lots of break aways.  Personally I think he was misused and not used because of existing contracts.  Wishing him the best.

Part of a string of horrid first round picks.  I remember when they drafted Jensen and I knew he would be never amount to anything as a Canuck.  He's Jr. stats weren't even that great too.  Gaunce I thought maybe a decent 4th liner but he was far too slow when I saw him in action.  

Just now, Borderline Canuck said:

I agree that Gaunce needs new senery.  I don't agree that he's slow.  Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he one of the fastest skaters in the in the speed trials.  He had great chemistry with Sutter, the two had lots of break aways.  Personally I think he was misused and not used because of existing contracts.  Wishing him the best.

We already got alot of bottom six forwards on the parent club (a number of them of dubious quality I might add) so there's no room for him on the lineup.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we all love the character of Gaunce.  He's clearly a fine young man.  He would have an NHL career if he accepted he has to be a harder guy to play against.  He needs to learn to hit to hurt guys, and fight too.  Gaunce is a much better hockey player than Schaller, but Gaunce is too soft.  

yeah I do think thats part of it. Seemed like a decent person, hope he gets a chance somewhere. 

Next up... Laplante and Boucher, possibly Grandlund not because he's bad, but I don't think they want to give him a raise 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I do think thats part of it. Seemed like a decent person, hope he gets a chance somewhere. 

Next up... Laplante and Boucher, possibly Grandlund not because he's bad, but I don't think they want to give him a raise 

Laplante hasn't played since over a year.   He developed an infection after surgery was the update a year ago.  

44 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Asset management fail!!

You knew this was coming. Maybe the fail is using a late first round pick for a 3rd or 4th round player? Along with Mallet in the second round.  

At least he drafted Hutton. 

2012 was a pretty weak draft. For the exception of Hertl and Forsberg of course. 

3 minutes ago, Borderline Canuck said:

Contrary to popular perception, no, his skating is actually pretty decent. Where he tends to fall short is in his 'motor', puck pursuit, 'attack' etc. He's excellent at reading the play though. He just needs more 'Motte' in his game for a bottom 6 role.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Laplante hasn't played since over a year.   He developed an infection after surgery was the update a year ago.  

I knew he had an injury, didn't realize it went bad like that :unsure: yikes. 

Archived