The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

6 hours ago, higgyfan said:

A younger ufa will likely require +$, +term and possible restrictive contract. Maybe if luck is on the Nuck side, they get

Ben Chariot for 3 @ 3yrs, but probably wants longer term.

If Edler walks I'd rather see them sign an older player like Kromwall for 2yrs@5.5m (who still puts up respectable #s) or Hainsey 2yrs@4.5m

***Maybe you pay a bit too much, but the short term is well worth it for a team with prospect coming up the ranks.

My suggestion was to overpay Edler for a two year deal to get him to agree to a shorter term deal. This came with detractors suggesting that Edler is 33 and will be on a steep decline so why overpay?

Unfortunately your suggestion, while certainly reasonable, would be to bring in 38 year olds and overpay them. I don't see how this is a feasible option to those who were against my suggestion.

Chariot is decent, but he's a bit more physical version of Hutton IMO and is not going to replace Edler. 

So my point was that the suggestion that Edler should be replaced with younger, cheaper guys or whatever is certainly a good idea, but the reality of it is that it doesn't exist without like you said certain negatives attached.

14 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

thank you Alex.jpg

Something i made for Egale

It looks great. :)

Although I will mention we don't quite know 100% if he is gone. We'll know for certain come July or sooner if something official gets mentioned somewhere. Most likely the case though.

I like the picture though for sure.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It looks great. :)

Although I will mention we don't quite know 100% if he is gone. We'll know for certain come July or sooner if something official gets mentioned somewhere. Most likely the case though. ;)

Thanks! I just wanted it to make it just incase he does leave hopefully he doesn't 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

My suggestion was to overpay Edler for a two year deal to get him to agree to a shorter term deal. This came with detractors suggesting that Edler is 33 and will be on a steep decline so why overpay?

Unfortunately your suggestion, while certainly reasonable, would be to bring in 38 year olds and overpay them. I don't see how this is a feasible option to those who were against my suggestion.

Chariot is decent, but he's a bit more physical version of Hutton IMO and is not going to replace Edler. 

So my point was that the suggestion that Edler should be replaced with younger, cheaper guys or whatever is certainly a good idea, but the reality of it is that it doesn't exist without like you said certain negatives attached.

Yes I remember when you suggested that about overpaying Elder for a 2 year deal and thought it a good idea.  Edler is the best replacement for Edler.

I was only thinking of bringing one 38yr and not overpaying by much.  Kronwall  continues to put up decent numbers, still throws people around and is a lot healthier than Tanev.  I think he would hang in for a couple of years.

A big and tough Chariat would be a great replacement for Hutton.  Absolutely. 

Actually, Theo, I don't think there is a replacement for Edler in this year's UFAs and JB has to find a replacement for Tanev as well.  The D are definitely a project for the next couple of years, but I am hopeful about Juolevi and maybe Woo (next year) making the jump. 

Unfortunately, JB doesn't have the assets for a trade, so I guess he'll just have to make sure there is the depth to get through the season.  There are better options in the 2020 UFA market, but they will be costly and want term, but some of them might be worth it.

Right now, I am hoping that the 'rumours' about Edler is just his agent posturing for more $ and a better term.  There's no way he's getting a restrictive clause in his contract.  If he is unprotected in the ED, I don't care if he gets 3 yrs.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Guy had a really bad game, at the worst time.  It happens.  I think the overall body of his work is quite good though.  His D play is solid, and he moves the puck really well - better than Eddy does.  I'd rather Gardiner for 7 years than Edler for 4.  

Gardiner gets worked over hard on these boards. I do it as well as I love to razz on Leafs. But he is a good puck mover and is younger than Eddy. Better than Eddy at some things as well.

4 hours ago, the grinder said:

gardiner  is better than edler   , the same gardiner that was minus 5 in a  one period in playoff game  2 years ago  , I know gardiner is better offensively  but his defense I don't know about that

Eddy has had games like that as well to be honest. 

14 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yes I remember when you suggested that about overpaying Elder for a 2 year deal and thought it a good idea.  Edler is the best replacement for Edler.

I was only thinking of bringing one 38yr and not overpaying by much.  Kronwall  continues to put up decent numbers, still throws people around and is a lot healthier than Tanev.  I think he would hang in for a couple of years.

A big and tough Chariat would be a great replacement for Hutton.  Absolutely. 

Actually, Theo, I don't think there is a replacement for Edler in this year's UFAs and JB has to find a replacement for Tanev as well.  The D are definitely a project for the next couple of years, but I am hopeful about Juolevi and maybe Woo (next year) making the jump. 

Unfortunately, JB doesn't have the assets for a trade, so I guess he'll just have to make sure there is the depth to get through the season.  There are better options in the 2020 UFA market, but they will be costly and want term, but some of them might be worth it.

Right now, I am hoping that the 'rumours' about Edler is just his agent posturing for more $ and a better term.  There's no way he's getting a restrictive clause in his contract.  If he is unprotected in the ED, I don't care if he gets 3 yrs.

If we do lose Edler, then I'd settle for a Kronwall only because there simply isn't much left out there.

There have been replies that suggest we dump Edler because of his age without any clue for an actual replacement. They want to play hard ball and suggest he takes a "team friendly" deal or he can walk. Well he can walk and it's not like we will be any better for it. We shouldn't be desperate for him to give in to anything that requires protection for the expansion, but I think he's done enough to be paid well. He took a discount for his NTC and yet basically every year for the 2nd half of his contract, he was asked by media or suggested by people here to waive it and be dealt. And now he's being villainized for it. I just cannot believe there are some that do not understand the actual realities of the situation rather than a video game world.

I guess we will see how this all plays out in the end.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Eddy has had games like that as well to be honest. 

when has edler been on the ice for 5 goals in one period ?   im not saying edler is the best dmen but he sure is better gardiner  , why do you  think to is not resigning him and they need dmen 

8 minutes ago, the grinder said:

when has edler been on the ice for 5 goals in one period ?   im not saying edler is the best dmen but he sure is better gardiner  , why do you  think to is not resigning him and they need dmen 

Dont get me wrong, I'm a big Eddy fan. More to my point is Gardiner is 29. Eddy was better at 29 than Gardiner is for sure. However Eddy is 33 now and is getting slower. Eddy for three years is great but anymore than three years and I'd rather have Gardiner at 6.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Dont get me wrong, I'm a big Eddy fan. More to my point is Gardiner is 29. Eddy was better at 29 than Gardiner is for sure. However Eddy is 33 now and is getting slower. Eddy for three years is great but anymore than three years and I'd rather have Gardiner at 6.

I just dont want to see gardiner  at all  , I rather just have eddy back for 3 years 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I just dont want to see gardiner  at all  , I rather just have eddy back for 3 years 

I as well. But what if Eddy goes elsewhere? Trade assets? Stop gaps? Something will need to be done. No Eddy and an oft injured Tanev would be real, real bad. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

I know that's what I am afraid  of jb panicking  and signing gardiner to some 7 million 7 year contract   vision of ericsson contract are dancing in my head   

I doubt you have to worry about that, the old saying of one bitten, twice shy I think fits here and unless someones names name is Elias or Brock, I highly doubt that's ever going to happen again and just for the record, no one knew LE would turn out to be the _hit show he turned out to be as most people thought never otherwise after posting 30 goals with the Bruins and seemed like a easy fit with the twins but who knew and if anyone blames JB for not knowing either then their a fool... 

Edler will have to agree to a 2 year deal or he's gone.

We're going after either Gardiner or Myers, but so are a lot of teams.  Both guys are going to get PAID.  Though if one of these guys plays at their current level for the next few years, the contracts might start to look good then.  I hope we don't sign either guy, but that's easy to say as it's not my job on the line. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I doubt you have to worry about that, the old saying of one bitten, twice shy I think fits here and unless someones names name is Elias or Brock, I highly doubt that's ever going to happen again and just for the record, no one knew LE would turn out to be the _hit show he turned out to be as most people thought never otherwise after posting 30 goals with the Bruins and seemed like a easy fit with the twins but who knew and if anyone blames JB for not knowing either then their a fool... 

well it has happen more than once there is plenty of examples around the league that some fa just don't work out   lucic Clarkson garrison robias , , if the owner don't want to rebuild just retool cant blame jb for ericsson

I would say Edler is considered a top 4D. We have already lost Hamuis for nothing. If this pattern continues, the D core will never improve. How many draft picks can be considered NHL Top 4 D calibre .  How much longer to repair/improve the back end? Is it time to hit the panic button? Would any of the Free Agents left be better the Edler? ( found out that Erik Karlsson signed with SJ). Tough to be in JB shoes. Screwed it up and gave his position of strength away when he didn't try to sign Alex Edler earlier.

Please don't let him walk away for nothing.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:41 PM, Viper007 said:

How did it hold the Canucks hostage?  They gave him that contract.  They are the ones to blame.  If they didn't give him the NTC this wouldn't be an issue.  Plus he was on a cap friendly hit for those years.  He negotiated those rights. 

Can we trade you to be a Toronto fan if you don't want to be one?  That's what you're trying to do to him.  This is a business, stop putting emotions into it.  If you were a business, you don't negotiate in bad faith, or you won't have a business that anybody will want to work with.

I'm not trying to do anything. Just stating my opinion. Can we trade you be an Oiler fan because you're acting like one.

Edler will be gone not too soon for me. 

Edler isn't done in Vancouver until he signs elsewhere.  For the Canucks, he's my first choice because A. he's the devil we know and B. he will likely sign for only a few years.

No Edler means taking a run at Gardiner as well as Myers (who, like it or not, they're making a play for regardless).  Both are going to need term and $ and will be part of a medium term plan.  Of course with free agent D's, the terms will be longer and the $ higher than anybody wants.  

49 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Edler isn't done in Vancouver until he signs elsewhere.  For the Canucks, he's my first choice because A. he's the devil we know and B. he will likely sign for only a few years.

No Edler means taking a run at Gardiner as well as Myers (who, like it or not, they're making a play for regardless).  Both are going to need term and $ and will be part of a medium term plan.  Of course with free agent D's, the terms will be longer and the $ higher than anybody wants.  

They need Edler back, badly..........however, they also need another top 4 dman, on the right side, and the pickins are slim.  With Trouba gone, I'd say it's a foregone conclusion that Myers will be back in the Peg