The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think something could be worked with Boedker.

Don’t see the motivation for Ottawa.

They’re already at the cap floor. Boedker only makes 3 million next season with a 4 million dollar cap hit then he’s a UFA.

If anything I think Ottawa probably wants to stay flexible with their cap rather than have a guy that you can’t move with a 6 million dollar cap hit.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

This plus a gained rebuild asset:

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Personally I think it's in the ballpark. It saves Melnyk $2.333m in actual cash this season which he gets to differ until next season and all but covers what season two costs them ($2.666). Goldobin = thanks for taking year 3 (where he might retire, get bought out etc anyway). Melnyk's also trying to sell the team and likely hopes he doesn't even have to worry about year three (or possibly two for that matter).

And either way, Loui at $2.66m isn't actually all that bad of a contract if he actually plays that 3rd year. Particularly for a crappy team like OTT.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Don’t see that as enough for them to take on three years of Loui and more salary.

Especially given the issues they had last year with the Uber.  Last thing they'd want is to take on another locker room cancer with a history of whining about the coach when he isn't gifted undeserved minutes.  At this point, I doubt Cull will dress LE when he's sent to the league he belongs in.

Littlethings' outburst made him a lot harder to trade.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

utica is the only answer I see tbh.

I think it's more likely he's lent to another AHL team.  Doubt Benning wants this lazy malcontent anywhere near the prospects, even if he's in the press box where he belongs.

Could also see him waived and told not to report.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, milk and honey said:

utica is the only answer I see tbh.

this

there is a reason why JB is not panicking and JP Barry sounded nervous and said it would not help the Canucks if they waived him because "they would only get 1 million in cap relief"

this is what's gonna happen:

LE is not gonna make then Canucks, he is going to get waived, he is then going to pass through waivers and be assigned to Utica. He will decide not to report.

Then 1 of 2 things will happen depending on where Louie wants to live with his wife and kids.

1.He and the Canucks will terminate the contract so he can be a free agent

-I doubt no one signs him but maybe DAL, NJ or NYR would sign him on the cheap for like 1 mill

- 6 mill comes off the cap

2. The Canucks "loan" him to SHL if he wants to live back in Sweeden

- not sure how much comes off cap? all 6 mill?

One last comment, and that is, even if LE gets sent down and chooses to report to Utica, Schiller will also prob get waved, that is 1.9 mill in cap relief plus Roussel starts on IR which is about another mill, add that to our 5+ mill and that is close to 8 mill Boesser will prob take up 6.5 mill so leaves us with just under 1.5 mill in cap relief.

Edited by Canucks Curse

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I think it's more likely he's lent to another AHL team.  Doubt Benning wants this lazy malcontent anywhere near the prospects, even if he's in the press box where he belongs.

Could also see him waived and told not to report.

Not a chance, the only reason to waive him is to try to get him to terminate his contract rather than riding busses hundreds of miles away from his young family for three years.

If he won’t do that, then keeping him on the Canucks roster is the next best thing.  As a 13th forward, he can still

provide something for his contract.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Not a chance, the only reason to waive him is to try to get him to terminate his contract rather than riding busses hundreds of miles away from his young family for three years.

If he won’t do that, then keeping him on the Canucks roster is the next best thing.  As a 13th forward, he can still

provide something for his contract.

That's fair.  So send him to Utica and then just healthy scratch him for the full year?  Then if he won't terminate and causes any kind of issue with attitude, suspend him.  Wouldn't welcome him back here, even as the 13th forward.  Would have been ok if he'd had the brain cells necessary to keep his trap shut, but I don't want a lazy floater who's also a cancer in the locker room with his attitude towards a coach who's been more than generous.  He has played his last game in the NHL in all likelihood.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, rekker said:

Sounds ridiculous.......but if they can somehow get this goof going, maybe they can unload him. 

Totally ridiculous but it's going to happen if Loui is a Canuck come training camp. If burrying him in the AHL is seriously being considered, playing him in a top 6 role praying he'll regain enough value to move him is going to happen first. Whether that just means a few preseason games or a 20 game stint once the season starts, your guess is as good as mine. But if Benning can't unload him before camp, he'll have to play him to try and drum up some interest. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, oldnews said:

You sound like you're asking a rhetorical question with a measure of the usual smarm - but I'll answer it anyway if I didn't already (I have a limit of how much time I'll waste on people that repeatedly choose blinders or mere defensive attitude).   You are confusing yourself by not breaking down Leivo's numbers and oversimplifying the numbers you're trying to interpret - while throwing in some laughable 'eye test' about floating around, ironically, in a comparison relative to Lucic.

First, Leivo's minutes with EP were not going to result in what you think would be good underlying numbers.

EP was a rookie - whose underlying numbers were not good - not by any stretch.   EP had 70.5% ozone starts, 51.4% corsi (that is a 19% gap relative to Leivo's 7%) - and only 28% of that ice time with was Leivo - meaning regardless of who was on that wing, EP's line 'lost' the 'puck possession' battle, but often won the 'war', simply by virtue of how elite EP is in converting his chances (19.4% shooting percentage).

What you've done is taken a soup of mixed numbers for Leivo and without breaking it down at all into the actual different contexts he played in, while attempting to come to a reductive, small sample implication that Lucic is a 'better shutdown/defensive forward.  Leivo's 'inconsistency' was in his production - your story about him 'floating around' is subjective nonsense.

You're also misleadingly suggested Lucic was a fixture on shutdown units - when 19% of his ice time was spent on the shutdown unit with Brodziak - whose underlying numbers are considerably better than Lucic's btw (Brodziak with 31.7% ozone starts, 46.5% corsi) - while the RNH line is not a 'shutdown unit' - that line got a shade under 50% ozone starts.

The 'underlying' reality - Lucic's possession numbers were inflated by Brodziak, and his production, while playing with a 69 pt player (RNH) - was horrible.  You can spin that as being an effective 'shutdown' player but I don't think you know what you're talking about.  LE is a far better shutdown forward - whether or not he hits people.   Lucic would either need to regain productivity, or remain a real misfit.   Gambling on the former = not a good gamble imo.

Leivo - not only was more productive than Lucic - but when you separate his underlying numbers from the high ozone starts (and relatively low corsi while playing with EP) - you get a better perspective on how he performs in a bottom six role.

If you want some 'purer' numbers, look at his outcomes in Toronto, on an otherwise unimpressive shutdown unit (Ennis and Gauthier, players Babcock would not and could not trust in key situations, using Tavares as a shutdown unit when push came to shove)   Leivo's numbers in Toronto = 35.6% ozone starts, 50.7% corsi,  30.1% ozone starts, 48.6% corsi...44 takeaways last year to Lucic's 27.    Your story of Leivo does not compute - and if you need the counter-testimony of informed Leafs fans, read the comments of the Leafs fans on these boards when they lost Leivo due to the Nylander signing.   Leivo is not only a better player than Lucic at this point - he's a fraction of the cost, period.

I don’t know why you would bring up Leivo’s advance numbers as “pure” stats, when he was playing heavily sheltered minutes, on the 4th line in Toronto. The only thing Leivo got going over Lucic is his age and the structure of his contract.

I think his lack of production is overemphasize. Yes, his offensive numbers has fallen off the face of the earth, but you just can’t look at goals and points as the whole story. Creating chances for your team is also important and he’s actually one of the best on his teams in doing so. He’s ranked second on the team (only behind McDavid) in scoring chance created at even strength with 50%, and leads the team with high-danger scoring chance, with 49%. His on-ice save percentage is pretty decent as well (.916), considering the team he plays on. That ranks him 2nd on the team behind Chiasson. 

As for, Brodziak inflated Lucic possessions numbers......I don’t know what exactly  you mean by that? How can someone inflate someone’s  possession numbers, when they’re playing defense; playing in the defensive zone, as a line? If you ask me, the reason why Lucic numbers are so low, is because he’s being dragged down by Brodizak’s low shooting percentage, despite being the driving force on his line. 

Lucic has shown, he can be an effective player, playing in a grinder role with other like his kind. If he can have good chemistry with Brodizak and Kassian. I’m almost certain he can create the same chemistry with Sutter and Virtanen. Not saying I would particularly trade for Lucic (maybe three weeks ago I would have), with our logjam of forwards, but if Benning were to acquire him (with other being shipped out). I think he has a place on our team, despite what others think. Playing in a different system and playing at home could really motivate him as a player. 

Also, I think you took it literally, when I said Lucic is a better defensive player than Leivo. Let’s be honest here, none of the two are defensive strong. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

That's fair.  So send him to Utica and then just healthy scratch him for the full year?  Then if he won't terminate and causes any kind of issue with attitude, suspend him.  Wouldn't welcome him back here, even as the 13th forward.  Would have been ok if he'd had the brain cells necessary to keep his trap shut, but I don't want a lazy floater who's also a cancer in the locker room with his attitude towards a coach who's been more than generous.  He has played his last game in the NHL in all likelihood.

That's just a terrible reputation to have amongst the players, imo.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

They’re already at the cap floor. Boedker only makes 3 million next season with a 4 million dollar cap hit then he’s a UFA.

If anything I think Ottawa probably wants to stay flexible with their cap rather than have a guy that you can’t move with a 6 million dollar cap hit.

This report from garioch suggests they are looking to move boedker.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/no-shortage-of-talking-as-ottawa-senators-prepare-for-nhl-draft-weekend

Obviously we would have to sweeten the pot but it may be a contract they would want to unload if a LE trade were to occur.

44 minutes ago, babalu said:

This report from garioch suggests they are looking to move boedker.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/no-shortage-of-talking-as-ottawa-senators-prepare-for-nhl-draft-weekend

Obviously we would have to sweeten the pot but it may be a contract they would want to unload if a LE trade were to occur.

They’re likely looking to move him without taking much salary or term back (if any).

Doubt they’re gonna wanna take LE back unless we really make it worth their while. Meaning one of our top prospects.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Try reading the post again then, it's not 3 years of more salary.

Loui has 3 more years left so yes it’s 3 years.

He’s probably looking to dump Boedker without taking any salary back. So the idea that he’d be saving money doesn’t really make sense.