The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Jets trade Jacob Trouba to Rangers for Neal Pionk, 2019 1st-round pick

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Is there anyone else they can move with a big salary? With Trouba and Myers gone their blueline, which has always been a strength for them, is going to take a massive hit. 

Buff and Morrisey will be their anchors now and Pionk is no slouch. This is the cost of having too many expensive forwards up front. They also have to re-sign morrisey next year. They dont have much room

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Derrrpp they can afford to use picks as currency because they have so many of them

Rangers trade an "extra" first round pick for a proven, right shot, 25 year old defence men (who just finished a 50 point campaign) and apparently they're not rebuilding.

meanwhile....

Canucks trade a first round pick in McCann along with a 33rd overall for a 25 year, right shot defence men (who's career total hadn't even cracked the 50 point mark) and JB is the rebuilding god....

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

What? Where did I say that? 

complaining about this trade as being look at the NYR vs Canucks is implying you're complaining JB didn't make the move or similar. If you can't re-sign a player you don't give up that much, NYR clearly believe he wants to play there, and he certainly didn't want to play in canada

Disagreeing with those that think Rangers won this deal.   No way Trouba was re-signing with Jets and they parlayed that into a solid first round pick and a solid Dman with ceiling yet unknown.   Trouba is a good player - a Trouba who isn't going to re-sign is a known challenge for a GM to get return.   Challenged accepted and sure was a good return.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Rangers trade an "extra" first round pick for a proven, right shot, 25 year old defence men (who just finished a 50 point campaign) and apparently they're not rebuilding.

meanwhile....

Canucks trade a first round pick in McCann along with a 33rd overall for a 25 year, right shot defence men (who's career total hadn't even cracked the 50 point mark) and JB is the rebuilding god....

Canucks had zero (negative) in the cupboard at that point - Rangers have been stockpiling prospects/picks (though starting to use them now).   Different teams, different scenarios and different needs addressed with players acquired.   

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Canucks had zero (negative) in the cupboard at that point - Rangers have been stockpiling prospects/picks (though starting to use them now).   Different teams, different scenarios and different needs addressed with players acquired.   

Exactly, Rangers were able to make this trade because they have been loading up. (hence why it's important to be "stockpiling prospects/picks")

Canucks who as you said "had zero (negative) in the cupboard at that point", had no business in trading away the few crumbs we had, for a middle pairing D. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Brocklovich said:

Highly doubt Winnipeg moves it but Christopher Tanev + 40th+? for 20th maybe something Benning could look at to try & grab seider or 1 of Thomson / Puistola

we'd have to take some salary back but they are at a point where they are trying to go for it so maybe they do. They'd probably prefer Stecher. Cheaper, younger and not brittle.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets

17 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

complaining about this trade as being look at the NYR vs Canucks is implying you're complaining JB didn't make the move or similar. If you can't re-sign a player you don't give up that much, NYR clearly believe he wants to play there, and he certainly didn't want to play in canada

Clearly you make assumptions as I didn't imply that. 

What I DID imply was that the Rangers have chosen to do their rebuild in what I consider a better, quicker and more efficient way than how the Canucks have gone about it.

On February 8 2018 Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton issued the famous Letter to their Fans telling them that they were going to rebuild and would be losing some familiar faces. And in less than two seasons, by way of shrewd trades, they've stockpiled a bunch of picks for the 2019 draft and 2020 drafts. Oh, and they drafted 10 players last years, with a handful considered hotshot high end prospects.

Not bad for a year and a half's work following the letter to fans. 

And btw, I actually don't blame Benning at all. I blame an owner who thinks like Jerry Jones and looks over the shoulder of everyone in management as the defacto GM of the team.

Edited by MJDDawg
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Interesting fallout:

The Isles were reportedly one of the frontrunners for Trouba - but few people in Long Island had an appetite for giving up Dobson to acquire Trouba.

Wondering if there's a potential Tanev deal there - RHD = Pulock, Tanev, Boychuk who is 35, (and Dobson).... with Mayfield coming the other way.

Would love to target some of NYI'S D.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just looking at Risto's stats right now. Lots of points, but his +/- is absolutely atrocious. Maybe not the best idea after all.

Trying to think of options, but with every signing and trade that's made the options get worse.

48 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

As I recall, he believes Risto is a tire fire of a Dman xD

I think Colin Miller should be our target.

Miller is also a good target but Risto (while certainly not the be all defensively) was put in a tough situation playing the big/hard minute Edler, matchup role in BUF, on a bad team, without a goalie. I'd GLADLY target him, especially if he comes 'cheap' after a 'poor' year. Particularly after we re-sign Edler. He could end up fitting very well with all of Edler, Hughes or eventually, Juolevi.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Clearly you make assumptions as I didn't imply that. 

What I DID imply was that the Rangers have chosen to do their rebuild in what I consider a better, quicker and more efficient way than how the Canucks have gone about it.

On February 8 2018 Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton issued the famous Letter to their Fans telling them that they were going to rebuild and would be losing some familiar faces. And in less than two seasons, by way of shrewd trades, they've stockpiled a bunch of picks for the 2019 draft and 2020 drafts. Oh, and they drafted 10 players last years, with a handful considered hotshot high end prospects.

Not bad for a year and a half's work following the letter to fans. 

And btw, I actually don't blame Benning at all. I blame an owner who thinks like Jerry Jones and looks over the shoulder of everyone in management as the defacto GM of the team.

Funny how they had a wealth of sale-able assets we didn't. Two different starting points, two different rebuilds :shock:

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Another defenceman that could have made a big impact here gone...Canucks D is going to be even worse than last year, if that was even possible 

The Canucks were never getting Trouba.  However, it probably means Myers is off the market now, and that's very bad for the Canucks.

37 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Disagreeing with those that think Rangers won this deal.   No way Trouba was re-signing with Jets and they parlayed that into a solid first round pick and a solid Dman with ceiling yet unknown.   Trouba is a good player - a Trouba who isn't going to re-sign is a known challenge for a GM to get return.   Challenged accepted and sure was a good return.

Great return for a pending UFA who's reportedly unwilling to sign in Canada, ruling out some of the teams who could use him the most (Toronto, Vancouver) and preventing a bidding war.  Wouldn't be surprise if those reports made GM's of American teams think twice as well regarding their chances of re-signing him.  Wouldn't have been happy if Benning had given up the equivalent return.

• Cheers 1