The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

No it's not. Not at all. You can't make predictions like that. This team isn't in playoff contention yet, let alone cup contention. You trade your firsts when you're ready to go for it all. A team that finished 6 spots out of the playoffs is not in a position to give away first rounders. 

Why? It's not really an outlandish prediction. These are realistic scenarios. I think that my opinion is based on projection and logic. I don't know what you're opinion is based on because you kinda just throughout some contradictory statements without making a supporting argument.

1 minute ago, Yung1 said:

Why? It's not really an outlandish prediction. These are realistic scenarios. I think that my opinion is based on projection and logic. I don't know what you're opinion is based on because you kinda just throughout some contradictory statements without making a supporting argument.

Woosh.

20 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If we were to somehow land Barrie, I'd like to get a more rugged guy for the 2nd pairing than Meyers.  I'd also look to trade Hutton/Tanev for a more physical stay at home D for the 3rd pairing.  If we have 3 good puck moving defencemen, it would be huge to balance that out with some stay at home guys with size and an edge.  

Curious, what would you sign Ferland at?

Ferland is 27. Give him 6 years at 5.5 . He plays a physical game but he’s also got great speed, so as he ages while he may not play as physical / hitting, he will still be able to add value on a checking / 4th line. I think he’s exactly what we need up front with or without Jake 

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Do it, Joe!  Take him.

That’s the trade I was thinking makes more sense for the Avs. They need to move Barrie for value as they have cap issues coming. They don’t need his offence so much, so move a RD for a RD around the same age, Lower cap hit going forward and who can be a defensive stalwart as you’re ready to push for a cup. It’s a smart hockey trade for both teams. Solves both teams needs 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Would anyone do these 2 trades and they might be kind of crazy; 

Van 10th+Joulevi+Tanev+2020 1st for 

Barrie+4th overall.

Then take the 4th overall+Boeser to NJ 

for the 1st overall (Jack Hughes)

out: Boeser, Joulevi, Tanev, 2 firsts.

in: Barrie, J. Hughes

You’d be better off keeping Boeser and 4 and getting Byram. He’s going to be the best player of this draft.

• Upvote 2

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

That’s the trade I was thinking makes more sense for the Avs. They need to move Barrie for value as they have cap issues coming. They don’t need his offence so much, so move a RD for a RD around the same age, Lower cap hit going forward and who can be a defensive stalwart as you’re ready to push for a cup. It’s a smart hockey trade for both teams. Solves both teams needs 

Agreed. Plus we get to keep Jake and move back in the draft.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Would anyone do these 2 trades and they might be kind of crazy; 

Van 10th+Joulevi+Tanev+2020 1st for 

Barrie+4th overall.

Then take the 4th overall+Boeser to NJ 

for the 1st overall (Jack Hughes)

out: Boeser, Joulevi, Tanev, 2 firsts.

in: Barrie, J. Hughes

Drafting Byram would increase the likelihood that they trade Barrie dixit Dater.  They are telling teams that they are willing to keep Barrie as their own rental. 

New Jersey is not trading 1st overall.  Shero explains why the 1st is not in play at the 3min mark.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

LOL AT THIS GUY

comparing apples to oranges, ones a top pairing 50 pt + established defense man  and the other is a up and coming still in developement possible power forward but not quite there yet and still a question mark to many

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Colorado has two 1rst round picks and are in a win now mode.

Tanev's name is being thrown around in a Colorado deal so what else? Boeser, Horvat Virtanen, Gaudette what would it take to get both picks without giving up the Canuck pick?

I don't think they are in win now mode. If they were they wouldn't trade Barrie. 

They are looking at a legit run in 2 or 3 years.

Makar and Girard need some time to develop. They also need a 2c and another top 6 forward

Two 1sts this year and two 1sts next year give them a lot of flexibility.  

14 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Colorado has two 1rst round picks and are in a win now mode.

Tanev's name is being thrown around in a Colorado deal so what else? Boeser, Horvat Virtanen, Gaudette what would it take to get both picks without giving up the Canuck pick?

For Sakic they are still in rebuild mode.  They have a lot of young players coming and they still need to develop before they move into win now mode.  He wants the team to continue to take steps forward but this is not the same situation as Philadelphia, Nashville etc.  They are building a contender but aren't there yet.

Edited by mll

Tanev Virtanen 2020 1st top 10 protected. 

Barrie plus B prospect. 

Do I wanna give up Virtanen? No.

But gotta give something to get a top pair RD. A player this team desperately needs. 

Barrie has to agree to extension if Canucks do this. So i don't think this deal happens today. It'll take a week or so to put together. 

Edited by WHL rocks

12 minutes ago, Claiborne55 said:

Tanev and 10th pick for Barrie and Colorado’s 16th pick

Then….

Ericksson and 16th pick for Lucic and Edmonton’s 8th pick

Take a Bow Jim Benning

Six spots up in the 1st round and Tanev, for Barrie and six spots down. This is risky. On the Canucks' side, if Barrie doesn't want to re-sign here then the return at the next TDL is what? A low 1st and a prospect of some sort? I'd prefer the gamble of taking the 10th and moving Tanev for something else.

I don't see the advantage for Edmonton in doing this trade. Eight places down in the 1st round in exchange for one year's saving on the cap (three years in the future) doesn't help them a lot.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2