The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finally some sane advice

Rate this topic

Alcholic9000

7 minutes ago, Alcholic9000 said:

Quick listen, but some sane advice.

Going out to sign a big FA is the wrong answer.

Patience this year.

https://thehockeynews.com/live/article/the-hockey-news-podcast-what-should-the-canucks-do-in-free-agency

The team has been patient. The team needs to surround it's growing core with strong, durable, experienced players. Signing a guy like Ben Chiarot is fine and he's a UFA. These three at THN tend to get a little long in the tooth.

11 minutes ago, Alcholic9000 said:

Patience this year.

https://thehockeynews.com/live/article/the-hockey-news-podcast-what-should-the-canucks-do-in-free-agency

Sane advice? Who are you and what did you do with the REAL CDC poster?

We don't like SANE advice in these parts, please ban for life!!!!

::D:P:frantic:

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alcholic9000 said:

Patience this year.

And, don't you DARE show up with the Voice of Reason neither....This is CDC dammit....

Have you not read a single thread on the forum???

Sane advice My A$$

:towel:

These guys don't really seem to have a grasp of the team's situation...

They think JB shoudn't resign Edler:lol:

They think JB should trade Tanev.

But...they don't think the Canucks should sign any free agents...

Quinn   Stecher

Juolevi  Rafferty

Teves  Bulldog

Eliot

Just let the kids play!  :towel:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

Opportunity is knocking right now, like it seldom does, if JB can find the right deals. It's almost never wrong if it's the right deal.

Listening to 650, and heard Wisbrod (I think it was him) talking about the cap space we have, and that they are listening to other teams' who are interested in us helping them.  That's nice to hear.  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Listening to 650, and heard Wisbrod (I think it was him) talking about the cap space we have, and that they are listening to other teams' who are interested in us helping them.  That's nice to hear.  

And then we could talk to Ottawa about them helping us, by taking a couple contracts I mean.

Edited by aliboy
  • Haha 1

UFA's? Sure, I'd rather they target solid, short term support pieces on D in particular. I wouldn't mind taking a run at a Connolly or similar if the terms make sense but otherwise, keep drafting and building. 

Trades on the other hand, particularly with so many teams up against the cap is where we could make some real hay IMO.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Alcholic9000 said:

Patience this year.

I thought JB himself said in an interview a few months back saying that would be his last avenue and why would we? We still have some growing to do and it's not as if we're challenging for the cup this year and 1-2 at least of our projects should pan out and the addition of train next year we should be ok on D and use a pick for a first line F we can develop in utica and trade demko Or whoever for ferland to calgary and there's a great first line with a built in policemen for petey instead of trading LE for lucic, Ferland is a sniper too. Watched his highlights on youtube for the past season/s and dayum that man can snipe and dangle but i would not want to make him mad either!!! That's exactly what we need for petey and brock, much like the twins needed and never got less anson carter, cmon JB! Git er done!

You can’t just build through the draft!  It is mathematically impossible.  It is especially a bad idea with a team as far out of it as we are.

You are lucky to get one player per year coming in as a rookie.  In the meantime players you have get getting a year older, eating a year off their ELC, getting a year closer to being UFAs.

We are just a year from being able to sign extensions for Petterson and Hughes.  This year’s top draft pick is likely 2 years away, the later picks 3-4 years away.

Anyone we pick the next draft probably isn’t going to play until we are needing to negotiate Horvat’s next deal.

Trying to get these kids to commit their entire prime futures to a team that will miss the playoffs again and again without more help being brought in... is going to be hard and expensive.

We make fun of Edmonton for not being an NHL team and players wanting out, guess what we are getting close to being?

We have great star pieces, our goal should be to get better as fast as we can.  Get them into the playoffs and spending the next 2-3 years adding pieces and filling holes.

If any top end players will sign as UFAs, or we can trade for top 6 forwards or top 4 D without losing one of our core four... you do it. 

• Cheers 1