The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

16 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Its amazing how political SKA is being about this.  It seems like they are going to tease him and coerce him into staying.  They gave him top six minutes in the preseason and he produced well I believe 4 points in 6 games.  Than demote him straight to the third line to start the season, than they aive him so special teams for two games on the PK where he excelled, and immediately take it away while also demoting him to the fourth line for 12 straight games.  Gets a boost to the first line for one game, then back down to the fourth line and out for 2 games strangely once Valery Bragin came back from Covid.  

Issue is that Podkolzin is likely loyal and fond of playing for this team that I don't see him leaving or terminating his deal with SKA prematurely.  Its just the way this kid is and is a testament to his character, but coming at the cost of his development. 

Amazing how his linemates last year Kirll Marchenko and Ivan Morozov who only have near identical stat lines are playing top six minutes (who are committed to SKA through til 2021-2022).

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I agree his hands could use a little work but I believe the NA game and rink size will definitely benefit his game much better. He's a 2way bull, a little too aggressive sometimes but he's all heart. I think he projects to be a complementary 45-60 point player in the NHL.

I thought that the KHL Rinks were closer to NHL size already?

Edited by dpn1

To caviat the above the recent changes from the IIHF to only play world champs on NA sized ice will likely mean that most KHl teams will eventually switch to smaller ice.

I think it’s a shame - one of the advantages of mixed arena sizes in a league is you get to see different tactics and strategies in different arenas, players and coaches have to adapt as well. 

19 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I agree his hands could use a little work but I believe the NA game and rink size will definitely benefit his game much better. He's a 2way bull, a little too aggressive sometimes but he's all heart. I think he projects to be a complementary 45-60 point player in the NHL.

His team has an NA size rink.  

1 minute ago, UKNuck96 said:

To caviat the above the recent changes from the IIHF to only play world champs on NA sized ice will likely mean that most KHl teams will eventually switch to smaller ice.

I think it’s a shame - one of the advantages of mixed arena sizes in a league is you get to see different tactics and strategies in different arenas, players and coaches have to adapt as well. 

As of 2021/22 the European size rink will no longer be allowed.   Most teams had already confirmed that they would complete the switch to a smaller ice surface by the start of this season - announcement made pre-pandemic.  If the schedule was upheld only Dinamo Riga and Kunlun Red Stars are playing on the larger ice surface this season.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

His team has an NA size rink.  

As of 2021/22 the European size rink will no longer be allowed.   Most teams had already confirmed that they would complete the switch to a smaller ice surface by the start of this season - announcement made pre-pandemic.  If the schedule was upheld only Dinamo Riga and Kunlun Red Stars are playing on the larger ice surface this season.

That is true - although I do like the Finish sized rink that a good number are using, I think it’s a nice halfway house 

9 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

That is true - although I do like the Finish sized rink that a good number are using, I think it’s a nice halfway house 

That's also the preference of the vast majority of the teams - they polled all the teams and 16 on 24 were in favour of the Finish sized rink.   Some teams had already switched to the NA size and might be why they are also keeping it as option.

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As I am starting to seeing a little panic in peoples posts

I want to say this now................and I want everyone to remember  this

Podkolzin was ranked as high as 3rd in his draft year, and was take at 10th, mainly due to him being Russian or he may have went higher

We were all pretty happy when he was drafted

Yes, there were a few that wanted someone else, but generally he was welcomed and his post draft rankings were great!

So, I do not want to hear the regular BS, if he has a little trouble. He is 19 and will still be playing in the U20's, if this god damned COVID will let him!

Remember, there is always someone better, and hindsight is 20/20

I think it's less panic and more frustration. By all accounts, Podz is playing a decent game but still not getting minutes. I hear people frustrated that his coach won't let him play enough to grow as a player.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think it's less panic and more frustration. By all accounts, Podz is playing a decent game but still not getting minutes. I hear people frustrated that his coach won't let him play enough to grow as a player.

It would be interesting to see an analysis, in order to confirm this supposed KHL bias, of whether their contract into the next season plays into how much ice-time they get. It seems to be what is exclaimed when minutes are reduced for no apparent reason, but it may just be because we are out of the loop with their actual progress. Not sure if anyone hear has seen enough of his play this year to say whether he has taken a step back in his play or not? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

SKA St. Petersburg just doesn't give young players big minutes. When you look at Vladimir Tarasenko's KHL career his TOI on his first team, HC Sibir Novosibirsk, was 18:48 and he was just 1 point shy of being a ppg. When Tarasenko left for St. Petersburg his TOI went down to 14:47 despite him being a ppg player for them. In the playoffs he scored 16 points in 15 games and his TOI was only 12:16.

I think the concern with Podkolzin is both panic and frustration. He's a promising young player that isn't being developed properly and that could lead to stagnation. A lot of Russian players have developed nicely in the KHL but I really can't think of a single one in the last 10 years that developed in St. Petersburg's system. 

This is a good thing.

Lots of players dont like leaving Russia, see Tryamkin for example.

Podkolzin is a gifted athlete, hes not going to lose his skill by being scratched or given 3rd/4th line mins.

It's just going to ensure he comes over when his khl contract is up.

Keep pissing him off St Petersburg and he will come to Vancouver with a chip on his shoulder and more motivation.