The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Imagine they drop a bomb and terminate him opening up to come to Vancouver.

CDC would lose their minds.

I hope so. Why not cut him loose if you have no intentions of playing him? Are they just using him as an example for others? Seems like a stupid move that could potentially back fire for them in the long run - meaning I could see young Russians trending to start their careers elsewhere instead because of this type of treatment that could stagnate their development. 

3 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

I hope so. Why not cut him loose if you have no intentions of playing him? Are they just using him as an example for others? Seems like a stupid move that could potentially back fire for them in the long run - meaning I could see young Russians trending to start their careers elsewhere instead because of this type of treatment that could stagnate their development. 

Russian teams are hurting for cash. Maybe they want Him to sign and buyout the remainder of this contract, or agree to pay a bit more

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Even if Pod goes to the VHL atleast he'll be playing alot & can build his confidence offensively.

If he comes over that would be great, though I don't think its a guarantee he would get into the NHL lineup immediately - atleast not full time I'd guess. 

I think Podz is at the very least be on the 4th line, albeit in a part time role (maybe 1 or 2 out of 3 games?)  Just getting him here ASAP to get acclimated to the language, practicing on the smaller ice is already a big deal for his development. JB will make room for the kid if he can somehow make his way here

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SKA president Roman Rotenberg has chimed in on the situation, and has temporarily cleared the air of where Podkolzin stands in their organization. I hope this does not cause a distraction for Podz but he has demonstrated that he can shut out the negativity and focus on his craft. All the best to him in this back-and-forth situation, and I hope we can see him in Canucks Blue, White, and Green soon 

12 hours ago, Millsy said:

Russian teams are hurting for cash. Maybe they want Him to sign and buyout the remainder of this contract, or agree to pay a bit more

No doubt he is dealing with this type of pressure at some level, isn’t his team owned by Putin through this oil company?

SKA is owned by Russian state-controlled energy giant Gazprom. The club used its immense wealth to gather almost all elite Russian KHL players under its umbrella to prepare them for the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympics.

sounds like a lot of as* kissing being done by Podz and his agent.

Truth is we just don't know what kind of pressure and fear is used to manipulate players and info in Russia.

I feel sorry for the kid but, if he makes it through in one piece, he will be stronger for it. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Drew a penalty, got a shot on goal, and the way he plays I bet the opposition was glad he only had 10 minutes icetime. And in just a few months it seems very probable that he will be doing that stuff wearing a Canucks uniform. Yessss!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Pretty clear SKA isn't going to invest anything more than cursory time on him now that North America beckons.   The ice time he is getting may be simply "something" given they don't want to total alienate a kid who will be mainstay of Russian elite teams for years to come (assuming NHL players are back into the Olympics, that there is World Championships after long playoff runs and that he even wants to do so).

Given the heart he showed at the recent WJC and the way he led by example it's difficult to imagine him turning down future opportunities to represent his country.  The kid is a heart/soul type player, you can just see it in everything he does. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1