The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

6 hours ago, Fred65 said:

It will be a measure of the journalist as much as Podkolzin. I have to say I'm becoming a tad concerned about the lack of production by Podkolzin. I'm hoping he is a player that just sjows better with a better class of team mates. It gives you some thing to look forward to for the WJC. The Canucks have a lot of prospects in the WJC

I hope so too Fred.......I don't think there is anything to worry about

here is my take on this...........

So, he is good enough to play on a KHL team to start the year

he refuses a contract extention

his ice time and line mates are then scrambled, meaning nothing consistent

Then he goes and plays with another coach (Larionov) and leads his team in scoring

Then comes back and is put on the 1st line and scores a goal and an assist in his first game

then is sat

then is put back in the line up and played on 4th line

Then named to the Russia Junior squad............probable captain

Then gets roasted by a KHL hack, who would not be allowed to write that if not approved by the club

Note only the top 3 players from the 2019 Draft played any time in the NHL so far

The rest are either in the same league as they were drafted in or are in the AHL

IMO..............we should not have anything to worry about

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did a little snooping on the guy behind that Podkolzin article:

image.png.5c56bd31531c75a94638b44deae489e7.png

So, he's a "Media Officer" for the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Hmm...

Wonder where his loyalties lie? With the kid who's refusing to extend his contract in Russia? Or with SKA (AKA Putin's favourite hockey club)?

Not that I'd ever accuse him of bias. ;) 

Mikhail looks like quite the heartbreaker too:

7095.jpeg.066bb370f36809ac12b0b3f29c09d6ad.jpeg

Sorry, I know I really shouldn't make fun of a guy's appearance, but yikes, that's a bad pic! :lol:

EDIT: Can't say I'm a fan of Mikhail Zislis's journalism, but I did like his earlier work as an actor. His portrayal of Vic Mackey in The Shield was particularly memorable. He should go back to the bald look, though. Suited him better. ;) 

What's funny is the comment section of that article. Almost all of the comments were in defense of Podz and crapping on the writer.

5 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

As was already mentioned, the Russian U20 team will fly to Edmonton from Helsinki, Finland on Dec 13. After 2-week quarantine they are going to have two exhibition games against Slovakia on Dec 22 and Canada on Dec 24.

The preliminary round schedule for Team Russia:

December 26 - Russia-USA

December 28 - Russia-Czech Rep.

December 30 - Russia-Austria

December 31 - Russia-Sweden.

Quarterfinal games on January 3rd, semifinals on January 5th, the gold and bronze medal games on January 6th.

You mean, actual real live hockey....like with a puck and sticks?

I am hoping and praying......I miss hockey! :picard:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Keep in mind he's playing in a lower league. I'll look forward to seeing him at WJC

at this age I'm looking for things like size, coachabilty, attitude, some of the raw talent which we've seen,  I don't really care what his KHL numbers are, they often don't mean much.  

• Cheers 2

On 11/30/2020 at 7:28 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did a little snooping on the guy behind that Podkolzin article:

image.png.5c56bd31531c75a94638b44deae489e7.png

So, he's a "Media Officer" for the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Hmm...

Wonder where his loyalties lie? With the kid who's refusing to extend his contract in Russia? Or with SKA (AKA Putin's favourite hockey club)?

Not that I'd ever accuse him of bias. ;) 

Mikhail looks like quite the heartbreaker too:

7095.jpeg.066bb370f36809ac12b0b3f29c09d6ad.jpeg

Sorry, I know I really shouldn't make fun of a guy's appearance, but yikes, that's a bad pic! :lol:

EDIT: Can't say I'm a fan of Mikhail Zislis's journalism, but I did like his earlier work as an actor. His portrayal of Vic Mackey in The Shield was particularly memorable. He should go back to the bald look, though. Suited him better. ;) 

Hey now, I’m sure his mommy loves him and he loves his mommy.

On 12/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, DeNiro said:

Yea we’re all guilty of focusing on points too much.

Hes the type of guy that will do all the dirty work for a goal and not get the credit. Hell he’d probably have at least a handful more apples if the KHL handed out second assists.

The hard work and attitude is there. The rest will come.

The hockey cliche, good process gets you results. Vasili has shown he has a very good work ethic and process to the game. Numbers are deceiving and don't show how hard of a player he is to play against. 

I feel very comfortable that once he makes a transition over, his game will thrive in a more compact style over here.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/amp/canucks-hockey/when-can-the-canucks-sign-vasily-podkolzin-its-complicated-coronavirus-3146135

Best article I've written on if he's eligible to come over this season. I learned some interesting things from this article if true.

Is it likely that Podkolzin is even on the World Championship roster if it happens? At this point I would say no.

Also I don’t think we’d be able to sign him once the playoffs start. Wasn’t that the issue with Kaprizov for Minnesota last season?

On 12/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, Stierlitz said:

As was already mentioned, the Russian U20 team will fly to Edmonton from Helsinki, Finland on Dec 13. After 2-week quarantine they are going to have two exhibition games against Slovakia on Dec 22 and Canada on Dec 24.

The preliminary round schedule for Team Russia:

December 26 - Russia-USA

December 28 - Russia-Czech Rep.

December 30 - Russia-Austria

December 31 - Russia-Sweden.

Quarterfinal games on January 3rd, semifinals on January 5th, the gold and bronze medal games on January 6th.

Sorry guys and ladies, I was completely wrong with the dates, taking this information from a Russian source and did not paying attention to the 11-hour time difference between Moscow time and Pacific one :) So the games are going to be:

- Dec 25 - Russia-USA  6:30 pm

- Dec 27 - Russia-Czech Rep. 6:30 pm

- Dec 29 - Russia-Austria  6:30 pm

- Dec 30 - Russia-Sweden  6:30 pm.

Exhibition games: Russia-Slovakia on Dec 21 at 6:30 pm and Russia-Canada on Dec 23 at 6 pm.

TSN is going to show ALL exhibition games since this is the only hockey available to us in December.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Thanks 3

Just thinking that "IF" the Ruskies won't let Podkolzin come over because he is selected to the World cup team

It would really prove that his team SKA was dicking him around

Would it not be a breach of his contract, because they acted in bad faith

It would at least be a smoking gun for CDC

On 12/1/2020 at 1:43 PM, DeNiro said:

Yea we’re all guilty of focusing on points too much.

Hes the type of guy that will do all the dirty work for a goal and not get the credit. Hell he’d probably have at least a handful more apples if the KHL handed out second assists.

The hard work and attitude is there. The rest will come.

I've mentioned it before but to me he's a more physically gifted Alex Burrows. Very similar attitude as well from his on-ice play. Really good complementary player who will do the dirty work and put up some points if you put him with good players, but will be just as effective playing in the bottom 6 and providing leadership and grit there. From the eye test, he seems to me like he'd be the perfect RW for Horvat. I see him clicking very well with Horvat and Pearson if he gets the chance to play there. He's a horse along the walls, and likes to get in the forecheck. Puck hound type, and if he improves his skating, lookout.

• Cheers 4