The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

58 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I don't know of any media person that said anything negative about any player.

But I do interpret "he will be a good support player" or "fans will like him he plays a heavy game" and "he will compliment scoring players" as being less than enthusiastic comments'

He is good. He is great, He is fantastic. All are positive comments, but there are degrees in those comments. One player they really raved about was that other Canucks Swedish draft pick, Arvid Costmar. By comparison of comments between the two was noticeable. They almost raved about Costmar

In my "eye test" he wasn't playing relaxed or all out. He seemed reserved. I would love to see him over here. As far as leadership, pretty sure Horvat, Miller, Sutter, Edler, .....are enough. Too many chefs and not enough cooks.:mellow:

If you look yearly at the CHL, you will see alot of Offensive players at the top of their Scoring Leaders boards, but never get a sniff at the NHL.....remember Wellwood who had incredible offensive skills, and the same thing could be said of Hodson, but neither had very illustrious careers, and most often left us wanting defensively, which ulitmately is the reason why they had short careers. The leagues, in every corner of the world are scattered with guys like that.

So Podkolzin is different, and has a different skill set. Does he lack a snippers shot, yes, but it is teachable to some extent, so it will improve. But do not loose site of his passing skills, which are border line elite. The other thing, which need to be recognized is his IQ, which is top notch as well. You don't teach that!  Now, when you look at his defensive work, it is top shelf, and if he can be accused of anything, it is trying to do to much, which in part is because he is back in position alot times, earlier than his team-mates, this will be corrected when he gets to the Canucks and finds that his team-mates are in position 95% of the time. You don't have head coaches letting their captains do the talking unless the kid is saying the right things........Larionov is a professional and I think he knows what he is doing.

It is so easy, to compare Podkolzin to Hoglander, who was miss evaluated by 29 other teams (Thank you!), but compare him to Boldy, who was drafted right behind him and his stats are comparable. I too, find it hard to look past the shinny penny, but I think we have to look at Podkolzin as having a unique skill set, and remember he is 19 years old.

And no, I disagree you can never have enough leader types, and keep in mind that Edler and Sutter are nearing the end of their time here...........

I am not saying I will not be disappointed if he isn't at least a dominant 3rd line/2nd line player, so I get a little of what you say, but look at the little things and give him some time.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If you look yearly at the CHL, you will see alot of Offensive players at the top of their Scoring Leaders boards, but never get a sniff at the NHL.....remember Wellwood who had incredible offensive skills, and the same thing could be said of Hodson, but neither had very illustrious careers, and most often left us wanting defensively, which ulitmately is the reason why they had short careers. The leagues, in every corner of the world are scattered with guys like that.

So Podkolzin is different, and has a different skill set. Does he lack a snippers shot, yes, but it is teachable to some extent, so it will improve. But do not look site of his passing skills, which are border line elite. The other thing, which need to be recognized is his IQ, which is top notch as well. You don't teach that!  Now, when you look at his defensive work, it is top shelf, and if he can be accused of anything, it is trying to do to much, which in part is because he is back in position alot times, earlier than his team-mates, this will be corrected when he gets to the Canucks and finds that his team-mates are in position 95% of the time. You don't have head coaches letting their captains do the talking unless the kid is saying the right things........Larionov is a professional and I think he knows what he is doing.

It is so easy, to compare Podkolzin to Hoglander, who was miss evaluated by 29 other teams (Thank you!), but compare him to Boldy, who was drafted right behind him and his stats are comparable. I too, find it hard to look past the shinny penny, but I think we have to look at Podkolzin as having a unique skill set, and remember he is 19 years old.

And no, I disagree you can never have enough leader types, and keep in mind that Edler and Sutter are nearing the end of their time here...........

I am not saying I will not be disappointed if he isn't at east a dominant 3rd line/2nd line player, so I get a little of what you say, but look at the little things and give him some time.

With everything I have posted I don't think he is a bust at all, but just trying to prevent the same kind of over rating that has caused Virtanen so much heat, he is Russian and might not want to tolerate it.

Euros and especially rural Russians are essentially very honest people, if you say something they believe you so negotiating can be tedious, the bottom offer can be seen as an insult or the only offer to come, constant media pressure could ruin him too.

Already the expectations here are, IMO, much too high. He really hasn't done anything since that one tournament, pretty quiet the last 2 years. Get him out of the KHL, he is a project. At least one year in the AHL..

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

With everything I have posted I don't think he is a bust at all, but just trying to prevent the same kind of over rating that has caused Virtanen so much heat, he is Russian and might not want to tolerate it.

Euros and especially rural Russians are essentially very honest people, if you say something they believe you so negotiating can be tedious, the bottom offer can be seen as an insult or the only offer to come, constant media pressure could ruin him too.

Already the expectations here are, IMO, much too high. He really hasn't done anything since that one tournament, pretty quiet the last 2 years. Get him out of the KHL, he is a project. At least one year in the AHL..

OK, I will buy that to some extent

But I disagree with your last statement..........

I was kind of saving this, but here it goes........

I am reminded of a play Podkolzin did in the tournament, where he worked the puck down the wing against 2 players and won position and threw a laser across the crease, to a streaking Russian forward, who missed an easy tap in. Now, it is easy to miss a laser type pass, but the key components were there for Podkolzin, with no reward, so it is totally missed on the stat sheet........

But, going down the wing, and fighting off 2 opponents is one thing, but to do so and have the understanding of where your team-mate is, and then get him the pass, are all offensive skills he did not get credit for, because there was no goal. Those types of plays will be converted, when he reaches here.

Now, my point here is, how many players, besides Pettie, Hughes, and Miller make those types of plays on the Canucks? Maybe Schmidt, maybe Horvat...you can be guaranteed if Virtanen gets the opportunity, he is going to shoot........so there is not many, which is my point. Podkolzin does this often, as his board work is impeccable.

In saying all this, he has to be able to pull it off in the NHL, so, it still has to happen, but he is showing it against his piers.....for sure

• Cheers 1

On 1/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I think you are hearing what you want to hear Lazurus

I think if you are looking for a purely offensive "STAT" type player, you are looking at the wrong guy. In saying that he is one hell of a passer. But his strength lays in his high motor, forecheck, and his general IQ. His ability to never stop. He will be the guy that gets a large amount of assists.

Take special note of Igor Larionov's response, when the Russians played in the bronze game and Podkolzin was talking to his team-mates during a stoppage. In short, Larionov let Podkolzin do the talking. This is an indication of just how respected Podkolzin is as a captain. And I can assure you that a captain will not be listened or be allowed to talk like that, if he does not walk his own talk........so I would point to you what the Russian players and coaches thought of Podkolzin

But, even further to this. Once Green and Co, convince him, he does not have to carry the Canucks, he will be able to use his energy more efficiently, he will find that he is not the only one that can forecheck, etc. I do not believe you will ever find him at the top of the scoring race, but I do think you will find him at the top of many more stats that are complimentary. 

Interestingly enough, a poster over in HFBoards thought that Podkolzin would make a elite defensive centerman........and I have to say he reminds me very much of a young Bob Gainey, who was probably the poster boy, of all defensive centers.....EVER! (He was a +200ish in his career) Gainey also had multiple 20 goal seasons, while being that type of player. Now I am not advocating that at this time, but the poster does make a point.

Gainey was also Captain of the Canadiens during this time.

I think it is very important to recognize, that he is young and it may take time to find his nesh, but lets not diminish him, before he even laces his skates up.

PS........Ferrero had a lot of nice things to say about Podkolzin that I heard first hand, so I am not sure exactly what you are talking about there. They were all positive

Gainey was a left winger, and under Scotty Bowman, the Canadiens played the left wing lock. But yes, Gainey was a premier defensive forward of his era, many of the best players of his era commented on how little time they had and how pressured they felt from his forecheck. If our guy, Podkolzin, brings that to the arena, we will be blessed indeed. A player with his attributes can help any line with forecheck, physical play, pressure, taking up passing lanes, forcing errors, and with an under appreciated passing game, and ability to carry through multiple zones and collapse the defence as he drives the net.

i don’t know if he will ever be an elite scorer, but whatever line he is on will generate lot of chances, and only surrender a few.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK, I will buy that to some extent

But I disagree with your last statement..........

I was kind of saving this, but here it goes........

I am reminded of a play Podkolzin did in the tournament, where he worked the puck down the wing against 2 players and won position and threw a laser across the crease, to a streaking Russian forward, who missed an easy tap in. Now, it is easy to miss a laser type pass, but the key components were there for Podkolzin, with no reward, so it is totally missed on the stat sheet........

But, going down the wing, and fighting off 2 opponents is one thing, but to do so and have the understanding of where your team-mate is, and then get him the pass, are all offensive skills he did not get credit for, because there was no goal. Those types of plays will be converted, when he reaches here.

Now, my point here is, how many players, besides Pettie, Hughes, and Miller make those types of plays on the Canucks? Maybe Schmidt, maybe Horvat...you can be guaranteed if Virtanen gets the opportunity, he is going to shoot........so there is not many, which is my point. Podkolzin does this often, as his board work is impeccable.

In saying all this, he has to be able to pull it off in the NHL, so, it still has to happen, but he is showing it against his piers.....for sure

Here's what I think is missing, reality. There's a hundred missed passes in every game. It's not simply Podkolzin missing a point heck IF Byram had scored rather than hitting the post when he  deked Knight out of his jock .... etc  etc. No player can build a reputaion based on what if. In his draft year the pick before him was Zegras I'm sure he had a few what if moments too but he did succeed to finish enough to ensure reputation was confirmed

9 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gainey was a left winger, and under Scotty Bowman, the Canadiens played the left wing lock. But yes, Gainey was a premier defensive forward of his era, many of the best players of his era commented on how little time they had and how pressured they felt from his forecheck. If our guy, Podkolzin, brings that to the arena, we will be blessed indeed. A player with his attributes can help any line with forecheck, physical play, pressure, taking up passing lanes, forcing errors, and with an under appreciated passing game, and ability to carry through multiple zones and collapse the defence as he drives the net.

i don’t know if he will ever be an elite scorer, but whatever line he is on will generate lot of chances, and only surrender a few.

I did check and found he did play some center, but yes I did use a little shall we say flexibility in my comments, and chose that over his regular position......but hey, am I wrong?

:bigblush:

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's what I think is missing, reality. There's a hundred missed passes in every game. It's not simply Podkolzin missing a point heck IF Byram had scored rather than hitting the post when he  deked Knight out of his jock .... etc  etc. No player can build a reputaion based on what if. In his draft year the pick before him was Zegras I'm sure he had a few what if moments too but he did succeed to finish enough to ensure reputation was confirmed

Very convenient to chose Zegras.............and your comments on Boldy? Where are they? Yes, Boldy had more points, and he is a fine pick, but he is absolutely no better than Podkolzin......................You look at the American team then the Russian team.......alot more depth on the American team

I think what you miss, is his strengths.......you don't recognize them, so therefore you can't comment on them........

Let's just wait and see, but I bet you a coffee at Tim's, that Podkolzin never plays a shift on the 4th line, after his second year...probably not on the 3rd line either

Fred, half full buddy, not half empty!

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I did check and found he did play some center, but yes I did use a little shall we say flexibility in my comments, and chose that over his regular position......but hey, am I wrong?

:bigblush:

Gainey got to play wing with some great defensive centers in Montreal: Lemaire, Jarvis, Risebrough, and so on. They also had additional supporting players that played similar roles, such as Lambert, Tremblay, and so on. That era’s Canadiens may have been one of the greatest teams of all time. 

I hope we are starting to see that kind of depth develop in Vancouver... mostly due to the development of our own in house talent. We could be adding more first rounders to the team this year in Podkolzin, Juolevi, and the guy in a redraft who would have been a first rounder, Hoglander. That there are others pushing those high picks, such as Rathbone, Rafferty, MacEwen, Motte, Michaelis, Lockwood, and so on is really remarkable. There is some fierce competition to make this team, and difficult decisions for the final roster and taxi squad. 

I am really looking forward to the coming season and an emerging Canuck dynasty.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gainey got to play wing with some great defensive centers in Montreal: Lemaire, Jarvis, Risebrough, and so on. They also had additional supporting players that played similar roles, such as Lambert, Tremblay, and so on. That era’s Canadiens may have been one of the greatest teams of all time. 

I hope we are starting to see that kind of depth develop in Vancouver... mostly due to the development of our own in house talent. We could be adding more first rounders to the team this year in Podkolzin, Juolevi, and the guy in a redraft who would have been a first rounder, Hoglander. That there are others pushing those high picks, such as Rathbone, Rafferty, MacEwen, Motte, Michaelis, Lockwood, and so on is really remarkable. There is some fierce competition to make this team, and difficult decisions for the final roster and taxi squad. 

I am really looking forward to the coming season and an emerging Canuck dynasty.

You know, after the Sedins, the cupboard was pretty bare.....

You seen Benning fill the first line........Miller, Pettersson and Boeser

Then he got Pearson to play with Bo, now it looks like Hogs will fill in there nicely

at the same time, and really under the radar, is that the bottom is filling in also

The likes of Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, McEwen, Motte are all either there or soon to be

Now you are seeing the defense fill in.......and Goal

Maybe not Montreal Dynasty good, but they will be getting better and better

I am pretty stoked

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Am I the only one who thinks Podkolsin's skating is like a cross between Kevin Bieksa's and Brandon Prust's?

I hope he can keep up.

He has a short of different stance and stride. However I watched him beat ALOT of defenders on the outside and towards the net. Probably has to work on his skating a bit but I wouldn’t sweat it 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

Am I the only one who thinks Podkolsin's skating is like a cross between Kevin Bieksa's and Brandon Prust's?

I hope he can keep up.

I have read something like what you suggest, but honestly, the way he skated through the Canadian team in the exhibition game, before the Tournament started, eased any concerns I had.....I am not sure why he does not stretch his stride out all the time, but I have seen him do it, and he has some decent speed..........

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Very convenient to chose Zegras.............and your comments on Boldy? Where are they? Yes, Boldy had more points, and he is a fine pick, but he is absolutely no better than Podkolzin......................You look at the American team then the Russian team.......alot more depth on the American team

I think what you miss, is his strengths.......you don't recognize them, so therefore you can't comment on them........

Let's just wait and see, but I bet you a coffee at Tim's, that Podkolzin never plays a shift on the 4th line, after his second year...probably not on the 3rd line either

Fred, half full buddy, not half empty!

Oh I appreciate Podkolzyn's skills. But he's more like a Juolevi type pick than a Hughes type. I fully understtand the need for different components  to make a good roster and I suspect he will be a welcome addition but his effect will be more like a Virtanen effect ( not in attitude but defining skills) I'm trying to remain realistic and like many  hope for the best. Zegras what a beauty he's going to be and frankly  I did follow him pre draft and was hoping we'd land him, we missed by one pick. Boldy was better than I expected but I'm not fully sold on him. Just think if we'd drafted Zegras, this board would be in a swoon

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

‘Skating isn’t up to par....’ 

‘Not enough numbers in the regular season to justify a top ten pick....’

‘didn’t dominate world jr’s....’

..... Bo Horvat 2013/2014 

Your kidding right? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Lazurus said:

...just trying to prevent the same kind of over rating that has caused Virtanen so much heat

Already the expectations here are, IMO, much too high.

He came highly touted... enough to be in some scouting rankings to be in the top 3. There's no doubt fans will be expecting a lot from him, and there will be pressure for sure.

But you.know what? Besides being drafted lower OA than Jake, I think Pods will be a Motte-style player whereas he works his ass off and is tenacious on the puck. Fans will probably like him, even if he doesn't amount to the top 6 player many expect from him.

Jake, on the other hand, doesn't seem to give it his all on or off the ice  it is assumed by many that if he committed himself he would be successful, and *that* is why he gets the extra hate.

• Cheers 1