The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

On 9/14/2019 at 1:55 PM, BCNate said:

-7 in his first 4 games, -5 in his next 14.

-four in his last five, but more important was the eye test - you had to actually watch him play.  Whether from lingering injury or whatever cause, he had a miserable time pivoting to the left and was getting walked on his natural side way too often - not a good attribute on a defenceman. Hopefully his medical repairs have cured him of that problem.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

:picard:

Exactly.  I really think playing there instead of here is a mistake . Yes it's a good league playing against men.........if you are actually playing.  By the time he actually earns icetime there he will be ready to come overseas.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

Exactly.  I really think playing there instead of here is a mistake . Yes it's a good league playing against men.........if you are actually playing.  

Yup.  Totally agree.  Podz could be developing in Utica, and playing 20 minutes a night.  There is a silver lining though.  No way Podz will sign an extension in the KHL.  He's going to want out of that league as soon as he can.  

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Totally agree.  Podz could be developing in Utica, and playing 20 minutes a night.  There is a silver lining though.  No way Podz will sign an extension in the KHL.  He's going to want out of that league as soon as he can.  

The Gap between AHL and KHL is not huge. He would not be getting 20 mins in Utica, it would be similar to Lind last year. Needs to be playing in VHL. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do the KHL and NHL respect each others contracts? I don't think so. Podz should defect the next time he is in Finland!:gocan:

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Do the KHL and NHL respect each others contracts? I don't think so. Podz should defect the next time he is in Finland!:gocan:

He's such a character guy, that he will stay out his contract.  But he must be getting really frustrated too.  At least he's home in Russia, where he has lots of support.  I read he's being groomed to be the Russian captain for the U20 Christmas Tournament. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not going to lie, I'm really not happy with Podz deployment thus far. As much as I'm not all that high on the pick in general, I obviously still want him to succeed and prove me wrong, and I can't see how playing 2 minutes a nigh (or less) will do anything for his development. Even if he were playing on the parent club here he'd be getting a lot more ice time then he's getting right now.

It would be nice to get him out of that contract somehow.