The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

12 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Wow - some great goals!!  And hustle/determination 

Larianov's comparison to a young Mark Messier don't look out of place at all

A younger Messier was one of the fastest

In the above video, they talk of Pods lack of skating as one of the reasons he fell in the draft

A younger Messier who would now be under-sized, was huge at the time, He was Eric Lindros before Eric Lindros ,but faster, with one o the longest strides you'd ever see 

Edited by ba;;isticsports

On 6/11/2020 at 5:12 PM, Provost said:

Last I heard was that the KHL was still planning on running Sept-Feb.

If the NHL runs Jan-July, that means we can sign Podkolzin after he is done his contract and have him for more than half the next NHL season.  

I wonder if that impacts how likely we are to re-sign Toffoli (or keep Boeser if we re-sign Toffoli)

I wouldn't get rid of Boeser for Toff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think my problem is, this team already has players of the same mold as toffoli. All around players like Miller, Pearson, Leiveo, and even to an extent LE.  We don't have very many pure goal scorers and yes it's been a down year but he's only 23 and already had more 50+ point season than Toffoli has had in his 7 career.  Brock is an offensive threat, outside of EP we lack that skill upfront.  

At 28, Toffoli is what he is.  A 0.5p/gp (40 point) player. Meanwhile Brock is just breaking into the league.  In 3 years Toffoli will be 31 and likely be on the decline in his career, while Brock will 26 and just be hitting his peak along side EP and Hughes who will also be peaking.  Too me trading brock is short term thinking and even for a top 4D.

Agreed for the most part. Toffoli is different than the others you mentioned in the sense that he is much more of an offensive threat aside from Miller, plus he has their 2way ability (more or less). Miller is a different style of player though, he's more power forward than 2-way forward. I think there's room for Toffoli, Boeser, Pearson and Miller as our top 6 wingers. Although that might be a little expensive. Virtanen is the odd man out for me. I'd look to package him with a Juolevi/Woo and see what we can get back in terms of a top 4 Dman. Or package Virtanen with a cap dump and that would allow us to re-sign Tanev. Either one works for me, but I do think we need Boeser's gamebreaking ability.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Except it isn't just a trade off between them.  As a one for one you keep Boeser every time.

It would be would you want a young top 4D PLUS Toffoli.... or just Boeser.  You have to include the return for Boeser in the calculation. 

Exactly........it's TT plus what you get for BB.

1 hour ago, Vanuckles said:

Agreed for the most part. Toffoli is different than the others you mentioned in the sense that he is much more of an offensive threat than any of the others aside from Miller, plus he has their 2way ability (more or less). Miller is a different style of player though, he's more power forward than 2-way forward. I think there's room for Toffoli, Boeser, Pearson and Miller as our top 6 wingers. Although that might be a little expensive. Virtanen is the odd man out for me. I'd look to package him with a Juolevi/Woo and see what we can get back in terms of a top 4 Dman. Or package Virtanen with a cap dump and that would allow us to re-sign Tanev. Either one works for me, but I do think we need Boeser's gamebreaking ability.

I would definitely rather move Virtanen than Boeser.  I just think we need both a D upgrade AND a cap dump.  Virtanen alone doesn't get you that.

I am also not worried about having too many big. skilled two-way guys in our top 6.  That is the type of player Green wants for his systems.  Toffoli and Miller as wingers means the Petterson line can play all situations and head to head against any other top line and not just in offensive roles.  That could pay huge dividends going down the lineup as the other lines can more easily match up against the lesser lines.

I also think about the succession plan.  2 years from now we will have another high skill guy in Hoglander and maybe have pushed Pearson into the 3rd line in the not too distant future.

Pearson isnt a top 6 guy on a good team. Virtanen could have a breakout year soon and still make progress. Boeser i’m not sure, his foot work is so slow and he  doesnt have any acceleration since his injury. 
He doesnt have his lethal wristshot anymore neither. But i wouldnt let him go, one Neely is already enough. Just hope he ll be back on top 6 and not on the third line. 

5 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Agreed for the most part. Toffoli is different than the others you mentioned in the sense that he is much more of an offensive threat than any of the others aside from Miller, plus he has their 2way ability (more or less). Miller is a different style of player though, he's more power forward than 2-way forward. I think there's room for Toffoli, Boeser, Pearson and Miller as our top 6 wingers. Although that might be a little expensive. Virtanen is the odd man out for me. I'd look to package him with a Juolevi/Woo and see what we can get back in terms of a top 4 Dman. Or package Virtanen with a cap dump and that would allow us to re-sign Tanev. Either one works for me, but I do think we need Boeser's gamebreaking ability.

Agreed. I'm hoping that such a package (and maybe a little more) could fetch us say, Risto.

41 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Agreed. I'm hoping that such a package (and maybe a little more) could fetch us say, Risto.

Oooooh I was with you there until Risto :P

I'm not a huge fan of his, although I haven't really seen him play lately. Just from what I heard, he's not defensively reliable which was an issue earlier in his career as well when I was watching him a bit more (I was on the east coast). So I don't know if he rectified that, but from what I've heard he hasn't, which is a deal breaker for me. But yes the idea is to get a fairly young (U28) top 4 dman. Doesn't have to be a right shot, as long as they can play the right side.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

I would definitely rather move Virtanen than Boeser.  I just think we need both a D upgrade AND a cap dump.  Virtanen alone doesn't get you that.

I am also not worried about having too many big. skilled two-way guys in our top 6.  That is the type of player Green wants for his systems.  Toffoli and Miller as wingers means the Petterson line can play all situations and head to head against any other top line and not just in offensive roles.  That could pay huge dividends going down the lineup as the other lines can more easily match up against the lesser lines.

I also think about the succession plan.  2 years from now we will have another high skill guy in Hoglander and maybe have pushed Pearson into the 3rd line in the not too distant future.

Well to be fair Boeser alone doesn't get you that either. Virtanen is due for a new contract, so not only do you get his $$ off the books, but if we can actually package him with a Beagle/Sutter/Baertschi and not get cap in return, that would give us cap flexibility to re-sign Tanev. There's your top 4 dman. No argument there about the unbolded part.

As for the succession plan, I don't see any issue with what you're suggesting even if we kept Boeser. Also agreed, I think in about 2-3 years time we would have at least one of Pods and Hogs in our top 6, which means more trade chips (Pearson and/or Toffoli). The beauty of strong drafting and development :)

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Oooooh I was with you there until Risto :P

I'm not a huge fan of his, although I haven't really seen him play lately. Just from what I heard, he's not defensively reliable which was an issue earlier in his career as well when I was watching him a bit more (I was on the east coast). So I don't know if he rectified that, but from what I've heard he hasn't, which is a deal breaker for me. But yes the idea is to get a fairly young (U28) top 4 dman. Doesn't have to be a right shot, as long as they can play the right side.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's an elite D man by any means, but he would certainly fill a need as a big, tall top-4 Dman. I might get flamed for this, but I'd even do Virtanen + Rathbone for him. Trust me, that wouldn't be as bad as the Hall for Larsson deal. :lol: But, he's a rare comodity that's VERY hard to find. It's important to note too that until Dahlin came around, Buffalo had these unrealistic expectations of him being their #1 Dman. Now that they have Dahlin, and a right side of Montour, Miller & Jokiharju, Risto is expendable for them - and I think he'd fit like a glove in a top-4 of Hughes, Myers, Edler (for now) and Ristolainen.

I'm also hoping that we find a way to sign Barrie (who I think will inevitably become a Canuck at some point), and then Briesbois, a guy who we've steadily developed, steps in and is ready to play. And then there's Tram, who I think will be signed once the cap is figured out.

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

Tryamkin/Briesbois - Barrie

And I'm not quite as sold of Rafferty as others are.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2020 at 9:05 PM, canuckledraggin said:

We got 2 beauties in the 2019 draft. Hoglander with Petey and Podkolzin with Bo equals success for years to come. The moves on these kids...

Gabriel Landeskog clone. When the he makes it to the highlights its just pure effort and will. Im not sure if he's going to be a 30-40 goal guy ( I hope Im wrong!) but man, that kind of motor and offensive upside, very exciting. He can play with any centre on our team in top 3 lines and contribute. He'll have a letter on his jersey somewhere in his tenure here, guaranteed

• Cheers 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:52 AM, lmm said:

fair enough

you have clearly watched him much more than me.

I do not pay attention to prospects.

I still think the numbers are against him

he is a left shot RW, which in Travis Greens mind means he is a left winger

It might be disapointing to all of us to see him on left wing, no?

there he has Rooster, Ferland  and Ericksson to beat out for minutes

If he does play RW he has Virtanen, Motte and MacEwen to contend with.

How good do you think he is right now?

how much better than those 6 is he?

Wasn't Jake the most NHL ready guy in his class after the top 3?

Idk if this helps you, but Podkolzin was ranked as the 3rd OA pick throughout the entire season pre-2019 draft. The reason he miraculously dropped to us is that teams knew of his 2 year KHL contract and the implications it had on their roster and his development. We took a chance, and it seems to this day, to be paying off quite well. I wouldn't look at him too much as a mid-round pick. For me, he's as much of a gem relative to his draft class and his pick, than Boeser Pettersson Demko and Hughes. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Idk if this helps you, but Podkolzin was ranked as the 3rd OA pick throughout the entire season pre-2019 draft. The reason he miraculously dropped to us is that teams knew of his 2 year KHL contract and the implications it had on their roster and his development. We took a chance, and it seems to this day, to be paying off quite well. I wouldn't look at him too much as a mid-round pick. For me, he's as much of a gem relative to his draft class and his pick, than Boeser Pettersson Demko and Hughes. 

Maybe at mid-term but nobody had him at 3 for the final rankings: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

A couple had him at 4 but was ranked as low as 17. His average ranking was 8.8 11/15 had him ranked 9th or higher so regardless he was a good consensus pick. 

10/15 had Hoglander in the first round with two scouts from the Athletic ranking him as high as 18th. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Maybe at mid-term but nobody had him at 3 for the final rankings: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2019-nhl-draft/2019-nhl-draft-rankings/

A couple had him at 4 but was ranked as low as 17. His average ranking was 8.8 11/15 had him ranked 9th or higher so regardless he was a good consensus pick. 

10/15 had Hoglander in the first round with two scouts from the Athletic ranking him as high as 18th. 

Interesting... Do believe as per reports the reason for Podkolzin dropping was mainly the Russian issue. With him being signed for the next 2 years in the KHL... But yes think he was rated around 9th mainly because of him being russian. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's an elite D man by any means, but he would certainly fill a need as a big, tall top-4 Dman. I might get flamed for this, but I'd even do Virtanen + Rathbone for him. Trust me, that wouldn't be as bad as the Hall for Larsson deal. :lol: But, he's a rare comodity that's VERY hard to find. It's important to note too that until Dahlin came around, Buffalo had these unrealistic expectations of him being their #1 Dman. Now that they have Dahlin, and a right side of Montour, Miller & Jokiharju, Risto is expendable for them - and I think he'd fit like a glove in a top-4 of Hughes, Myers, Edler (for now) and Ristolainen.

I'm also hoping that we find a way to sign Barrie (who I think will inevitably become a Canuck at some point), and then Briesbois, a guy who we've steadily developed, steps in and is ready to play. And then there's Tram, who I think will be signed once the cap is figured out.

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

Might not be as bad as Hall for Larsson but I certainly wouldn't want that trade. Rathbone is a gamer who will contribute to the Team on a cheap deal which will be much needed soon. Only thing we agree on in that comment is that I'm not quite as sold on Rafferty either :lol:

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm not sure where this myth came from. There's a number of other reasons for why he could've dropped like the fact that his point production wasn't increasing over time, other prospects rising, weak position (D and C usually prioritized over W), and just better overall scouting of Podkolzin. Also, it would seem like a silly reason to drop all the way to 10th where a number of players before him would almost certainly require 2 years before NHL time as well (Broberg, Seider, Cozens, etc.). If there is some sort of source that specifically mentions this as the reason for his fall I'd like to see it. 

With that being said, I think he would be redrafted slightly higher after seeing everyone's D+1 season. I was disappointed when we initially drafted him but I'm glad to see I'm being proven wrong. 

I think he plays to the level of a prospect like Lucas Raymond who is eligible this year and looks to be a top 3-4 draft pick in such a deep year. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Huggy Bear 1

16 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

16 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Might not be as bad as Hall for Larsson but I certainly wouldn't want that trade. Rathbone is a gamer who will contribute to the Team on a cheap deal which will be much needed soon. Only thing we agree on in that comment is that I'm not quite as sold on Rafferty either :lol:

I love Rathbone too, but if he isn't planning to sign here and wants to stay close to his family and his brother, this may be a trade that is in the works. JB has been linked to trying to trade for Ristolainen in the past and I think a change of scenery for Ristolainen can be beneficial for him as well.