The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

15 hours ago, High and Inside said:

That’s a valid reply. I’m not totally writing him off but he needs to round out his game more. Even in the World Juniors last year I expected him to dominate a little more. Definitely he could still

become a great player. 

He would be dominant in CHL or NCAA where almost all his drafted peers are.  KHL is no joke, and not a development league.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

He would be dominant in CHL or NCAA where almost all his drafted peers are.  KHL is no joke, and not a development league.  

I have my doubts he would dominate right now. I personally watched him live at the world juniors hockey in Czech republic and i noticed the lack of finish time and time again, and those were his direct peers.

He has so many other strong skills and does allot of things really well. He is obviously not developing as expected in  the KHL so i agree he should be playing tons of minutes in all positions against his age group of peers.

We need this kid to develop into an NHL regular,  and we need him soon.

5 hours ago, warrchief said:

Pods getting the Jasek treatment because he is likely to sign an NHL contract. I expect him to dominate the World Juniors (if it happens) this year. I really hope he comes over because he would be an immediate impact player with his solid two way play.

Are  you saying he would make an immediate impact in the WJHC,  AHL or NHL? If your crystal ball predictions come true I'll be very pleasantly surprised. 

And where can i buy one?

On 10/27/2020 at 5:10 AM, High and Inside said:

My concern level is going up with this player. I know he is young and not every player breaks out right away and he could just be a late bloomer but if there saying that he isn’t working hard enough then that is a big red flag. This guy was a  top 10 pick and right now I’m not seeing him justified for that spot. We already blew two top ten picks in Olli and Jake so this kid needs to turn into a legit top 6 player. I hope I’m wrong. 

Well at least Benning nailed it with Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. When we put it this way we really have a $&!#load of top 10 picks the past decade. 

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Well at least Benning nailed it with Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. When we put it this way we really have a $&!#load of top 10 picks the past decade. 

I'll grant you Pettersson, but I felt at the time, and still do, that Huggy Bear is a Canuck more due to the incompetence of the GMs who picked prior to us, than to anything JB did specifically.  Was a huge miss by Stevey Y.  It was a no-brainer for Jimbo when he fell down the order and was available to us. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I'll grant you Pettersson, but I felt at the time, and still do, that Huggy Bear is a Canuck more due to the incompetence of the GMs who picked prior to us, than to anything JB did specifically.  Was a huge miss by Stevey Y.  It was a no-brainer for Jimbo when he fell down the order and was available to us. 

Stevie Y wasn’t their GM at the time. 

you can make that argument about a lot of players in drafts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jebus lol. &^@#ing dim Jim just lucks in to any good moves, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

Lol I love how he never gets credit for the good moves he makes and is constantly raked over the coals for every misstep. I'm not a huge supporter of Benning, he has made plenty of mistakes but also done many great things in building this team. 

Pod is one of those very good things that Benning has done. He will come over to NA when his contract expires and show exactly why he was then and is still now viewed as one of the most NHL ready prospects in the 2019 draft. I'm not at all concerned about being sent to the VHL. It will be good for him to get tons more reps and play in all situations as a leader on the team and I fully expect him to be a PPG player in that league.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Spelling
  • Cheers 4

36 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

After 20 mins of play, Podkolzin hasn't seen a shift yet as the 13th forward.

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, their KHL team and VHL team are played near each other. So this is likely opportunities for him to practice with the big club and watching the men's game (if not playing) and getting his reps and ice time (and confidence) in the VHL. So no need to worry too much about the "yo-yo".

• Upvote 1

Since the start of the 3rd period, Podkolzin has made it into the full rotation of forwards on the fourth line with Yakov Trenin (NSH) and Vladislav Kamanev (COL).  3 shifts so far in the third period.  Kunlun has been ragdolling SKA around in todays game, SKA having mostly small skilled forwards as Trenin is the most physical player behind Podkolzin.  Kunlun also one of the worst KHL teams at the moment, Coach Bragin looking for a spark. SKA has really struggled to find any cohesiveness and consistency since the start of the season thanks to the Covid outbreak on their squad.

• Thanks 2

Was watching the SKA stream today and Podkolzin looked very energized on his four shifts that he played in the 3rd period, and throughout the whole game, looked like the most interested player of the 12 forwards.  The other twelve looked extremely lackadaisical. 

SKA falls to Kunlun (coached by Alexei Kovalev and Slava Kozlov former NHLers) 2-1 with a classic Linden Vey missing the open net cross crease pass.  SKA still sits at the top spot in their Russian Division but are 12-9-1 now on the season and with several teams nipping at their heels.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I’ve seen the story he got benched and played in the third . Great . Can’t wait to get him out of there soon as possible , before they ruin the kid . 

Did you also see the part where the VHL team and KHL team are very close together and it is common for them to move a player back and forth especially since it is the VHL teams day off. So that Pod not only gets some more time practicing with the big club he also get some more game time that he wouldn't of gotten if they just left him in the VHL. Do I agree that he needs to come over as soon as his contract in the KHL is expired? Absolutely. But this is not a bad thing for him in this instance and is far better than the two games he spent scratched and getting no reps at all. This is just giving him the most amount of playing time he can get right now. Not every thing that happens to him over there is bad or intended to 'ruin him'.

The KHL ruining ‘nhl’ prospects is a tied old trope that’s based on conjecture, and in part grounded in Russophobia. For every example people have of that, I’m sure a compatible of a promising young player coming over to NA and being ‘ruined’ could be found.

KHL teams do develop players, and the KHL is not a development league either, the job of the coach is to win, and they means established players will get played, just like in the NHL. Not only this if a player has signed a contract elsewhere prior to the end of the season or indicates they are leaving, it’s in the teams interests to spend less time developing that player over one which is staying, especially in the medium to long term. That’s not politics or punishing the player thats the reality of team building. 

if the player who is leaving is good enough to crack the squad and is a key player - they will still play, especially if it helps to win. 

Some people on this forum need to pull their heads out of their proverbials. Currently SKA are paying his wage, he is not a loaned player and so how they choose to develop him or not is entirely their prerogative. Just because an NHL team has drafted a player doesn’t give them god given rights to their career- only their contract rights if they come to play in the NHL

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1