I was a bit concerned when the GM said he needed to get in shape. B)

Pods getting the Jasek treatment because he is likely to sign an NHL contract. I expect him to dominate the World Juniors (if it happens) this year. I really hope he comes over because he would be an immediate impact player with his solid two way play.

13 hours ago, High and Inside said:

That’s a valid reply. I’m not totally writing him off but he needs to round out his game more. Even in the World Juniors last year I expected him to dominate a little more. Definitely he could still

become a great player. 

Hopefully, we need him and Hog to pan out cause after those 2 and maybe Lind we got no top 6 caliber prospect depth at the moment. Hopefully the Canucks can move some players at deadline to recover some draft picks and aim to be ultra competitive in 1-2 years time once all the horrible cap hits are off the books 

1 hour ago, warrchief said:

Pods getting the Jasek treatment because he is likely to sign an NHL contract. I expect him to dominate the World Juniors (if it happens) this year. I really hope he comes over because he would be an immediate impact player with his solid two way play.

Considering his team in the KHL has a successful pipeline of players that have hit the NHL I doubt he is being shafted because of him looking to come over. 

They have given him plenty of chances and he’s just in a bit of a slump. He makes his line better but he needs to shoot more. 

also even if they were shafting him (which they are not) it’s entirely their prerogative as they are paying his wages and they will have players they want to develop for the longer term that will stick around in the KHL. Just because the Canucks has the NHL right to him does not make it so every team has to do it the Canucks way (unless it’s the Canucks who are paying his wage and loaning him to a club with conditions) 

44 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Considering his team in the KHL has a successful pipeline of players that have hit the NHL I doubt he is being shafted because of him looking to come over. 

They have given him plenty of chances and he’s just in a bit of a slump. He makes his line better but he needs to shoot more. 

also even if they were shafting him (which they are not) it’s entirely their prerogative as they are paying his wages and they will have players they want to develop for the longer term that will stick around in the KHL. Just because the Canucks has the NHL right to him does not make it so every team has to do it the Canucks way (unless it’s the Canucks who are paying his wage and loaning him to a club with conditions) 

He has a 3.4% shooting percentage.  He either needs to work on his shot or get in a better scoring position before taking the shot.  

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I was a bit concerned when the GM said he needed to get in shape. B)

I think it may be more of playing under 5 minutes a game doesn’t really keep you in game shape.  

It is probably better that he is in a LW or league actually getting ice time.  It will also be really good for him to be on the national team soon.

Apparently Larionov (GM of national team) went to the club a couple of weeks ago to talk about Podkolzin.  I fully suspect that he said he wanted the kid ready to play significant minutes in the tourney (he is likely to be Captain of the team), and not playing more than a few shifts wouldn’t prep him for those demands very well.

This demotion seems to be letting him get his game legs for a couple of weeks instead of being thrown to the wolves.

It is well known that KHL teams are loathe to give ice time and development time to kids who aren’t going to be there long, and are headed to the NHL.  I don’t  particularly blame them, but on the other hand there should be easier “outs” for the player to come over if they aren’t being played on their club team.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, High and Inside said:

That’s a valid reply. I’m not totally writing him off but he needs to round out his game more. Even in the World Juniors last year I expected him to dominate a little more. Definitely he could still

become a great player. 

He would be dominant in CHL or NCAA where almost all his drafted peers are.  KHL is no joke, and not a development league.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BCNate said:

He would be dominant in CHL or NCAA where almost all his drafted peers are.  KHL is no joke, and not a development league.  

I have my doubts he would dominate right now. I personally watched him live at the world juniors hockey in Czech republic and i noticed the lack of finish time and time again, and those were his direct peers.

He has so many other strong skills and does allot of things really well. He is obviously not developing as expected in  the KHL so i agree he should be playing tons of minutes in all positions against his age group of peers.

We need this kid to develop into an NHL regular,  and we need him soon.

5 hours ago, warrchief said:

Are  you saying he would make an immediate impact in the WJHC,  AHL or NHL? If your crystal ball predictions come true I'll be very pleasantly surprised. 

And where can i buy one?

On 10/27/2020 at 5:10 AM, High and Inside said:

My concern level is going up with this player. I know he is young and not every player breaks out right away and he could just be a late bloomer but if there saying that he isn’t working hard enough then that is a big red flag. This guy was a  top 10 pick and right now I’m not seeing him justified for that spot. We already blew two top ten picks in Olli and Jake so this kid needs to turn into a legit top 6 player. I hope I’m wrong. 

Well at least Benning nailed it with Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. When we put it this way we really have a $&!#load of top 10 picks the past decade. 

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Well at least Benning nailed it with Pettersson and Quinn Hughes. When we put it this way we really have a $&!#load of top 10 picks the past decade. 

I'll grant you Pettersson, but I felt at the time, and still do, that Huggy Bear is a Canuck more due to the incompetence of the GMs who picked prior to us, than to anything JB did specifically.  Was a huge miss by Stevey Y.  It was a no-brainer for Jimbo when he fell down the order and was available to us. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I'll grant you Pettersson, but I felt at the time, and still do, that Huggy Bear is a Canuck more due to the incompetence of the GMs who picked prior to us, than to anything JB did specifically.  Was a huge miss by Stevey Y.  It was a no-brainer for Jimbo when he fell down the order and was available to us. 

Stevie Y wasn’t their GM at the time. 

you can make that argument about a lot of players in drafts. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jebus lol. &^@#ing dim Jim just lucks in to any good moves, doesn't he? :rolleyes:

Lol I love how he never gets credit for the good moves he makes and is constantly raked over the coals for every misstep. I'm not a huge supporter of Benning, he has made plenty of mistakes but also done many great things in building this team. 

Pod is one of those very good things that Benning has done. He will come over to NA when his contract expires and show exactly why he was then and is still now viewed as one of the most NHL ready prospects in the 2019 draft. I'm not at all concerned about being sent to the VHL. It will be good for him to get tons more reps and play in all situations as a leader on the team and I fully expect him to be a PPG player in that league.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Spelling
  • Hydration 4

36 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

After 20 mins of play, Podkolzin hasn't seen a shift yet as the 13th forward.

Before anyone gets in a tizzy, their KHL team and VHL team are played near each other. So this is likely opportunities for him to practice with the big club and watching the men's game (if not playing) and getting his reps and ice time (and confidence) in the VHL. So no need to worry too much about the "yo-yo".

• Upvote 1

Since the start of the 3rd period, Podkolzin has made it into the full rotation of forwards on the fourth line with Yakov Trenin (NSH) and Vladislav Kamanev (COL).  3 shifts so far in the third period.  Kunlun has been ragdolling SKA around in todays game, SKA having mostly small skilled forwards as Trenin is the most physical player behind Podkolzin.  Kunlun also one of the worst KHL teams at the moment, Coach Bragin looking for a spark. SKA has really struggled to find any cohesiveness and consistency since the start of the season thanks to the Covid outbreak on their squad.

• Thanks 2

Was watching the SKA stream today and Podkolzin looked very energized on his four shifts that he played in the 3rd period, and throughout the whole game, looked like the most interested player of the 12 forwards.  The other twelve looked extremely lackadaisical. 

SKA falls to Kunlun (coached by Alexei Kovalev and Slava Kozlov former NHLers) 2-1 with a classic Linden Vey missing the open net cross crease pass.  SKA still sits at the top spot in their Russian Division but are 12-9-1 now on the season and with several teams nipping at their heels.

• Thanks 1