The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You need to just STOP.

You're all over the map and can't call a player as you see them when you don't....ACTUALLY SEE THEM.  When confronted about not actually watching a game....your response of "I don't sit glued to the TV" is not an acceptable response.  If you don't watch the game, then don't critique it...simple.  Or, if you do...be prepared for people to call you out.  I've already done it, at which point you vanished and didn't respond.

You do have bias...you feel that you can not watch games but comment negatively on players because "the opponent".  That's garbage.  Because when challenged about how you formed your favourable opinion on other players....the silence was deafening.

If you're going to focus on "who the opponent was" for VP....do it for the guys you're in here cheerleader for too.  Because, at this point, I've honestly had enough of this double talk.

You don't know if he's "shown up for games" that you don't watch.  So maybe form an opinion after you do.  You only have to be glued to the TV for a couple of hours to offer us a legitimate response rather than this troll job.   

I'm not even going to bother breaking this down .... you need to stop (trolling).  If you don't have time to glue yourself to the TV to watch him play then save yourself the keystrokes too.  

I agree. This guy must be a bundle of joy at a social gathering. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't necessarily agree with the bolded part.

I think his arrival will give the team an additional top6 possibility - but as it stands in the present, Virtanen is effectively 2nd on the RW depth charts imo.

Ferland may have/might change that - but unfortunately it's looking like the cumulative concussions may cut his career short.

Podkolzin might make Virtanen #3 on that chart - but still - that's essentially where Virtanen has been developed for the most part - and 'good' teams these days tend to need 3 lines that can score (or a '3rd' that can chip in with some secondary scoring) - with at least one of those being a 'two-way' type line that can also handle their share of defensive deployment.  Virtanen could remain valuable regardless imo.  I think it might put pressure on Gaudette however - who isn't showing the versatility that Virtanen has / has not been utilized/"trusted" in the kind of deployment that Virtanen has - so his path to remaining on the roster might be tighter, needing to either develop into a viable center option, or compete with 3 guys that probably have an inside track relative to him to make it into the top 3 RW spots.

I hope to see a motivated Jake in addition to the arrival of Pod. Those two at their best will be a nightmare to deal with for opposing defenses. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

I think his arrival will give the team an additional top6 possibility - but as it stands in the present, Virtanen is effectively 2nd on the RW depth charts imo.

Ferland may have/might change that - but unfortunately it's looking like the cumulative concussions may cut his career short.

Podkolzin might make Virtanen #3 on that chart - but still - that's essentially where Virtanen has been developed for the most part - and 'good' teams these days tend to need 3 lines that can score (or a '3rd' that can chip in with some secondary scoring) - with at least one of those being a 'two-way' type line that can also handle their share of defensive deployment.  Virtanen could remain valuable regardless imo.  I think it might put pressure on Gaudette however - who isn't showing the versatility that Virtanen has / has not been utilized/"trusted" in the kind of deployment that Virtanen has - so his path to remaining on the roster might be tighter, needing to either develop into a viable center option, or compete with 3 guys that probably have an inside track relative to him to make it into the top 3 RW spots.

Agree with all of this. Basically Jake has to prove he deserves the 2RW spot this year and then keep it. I doubt he will as Podz is a better player, but as a 3RW who can play PP and PK if they develop that in him ( I hope so, his speed will cause a lot of issues and potential SH goals) he is still valuable. It will also make him cheaper. If Jake wants to hit it big financially this year and next mean it all. Upside for him is he can play LW and Pearson will be gone in a year so he still has outs to stay top 6 if he proves he deserves it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cat Man said:

As you please.

I expect to be proven wrong and will look

forward to resuming this topic later in the season :mellow: 

I think a lot will depend on which version of Jake shows up this camp and season (as well as how some other wingers look this year... Lind, Hoglander etc).

If he's not committed and engaged more nights than not and not in mid season cardio form this camp and Podz and company all have good years, I don't like his chances of being here post this coming season. Good stats or not, management's patience appears to be wearing thin with his commitment.

That said, it sounds like he's taken this offseason more seriously, so fingers crossed!

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Watched the full game again tonight. Wow, Podz can really dish the puck. I said it a few pages back, get him with some trigger men and look out! I even said a few months ago put him with Petey and Miller and he will blossom and I stand behind that 100. He seems to so often just make the "right smart play" if you will. He constantly fights for the puck along the boards and most times comes out with the puck. Like his discipline this tourney, I know some are disappointed he isn't mixing it up and is pulling his guys out from the pile but this is the world juniors it isn't about rough stuff. In the NHL Podz isn't backing away he'll be right in there with his teammates. Right now it speaks to his maturity he is willing to let things go to help the team stay out of the box. 

Yeah, I was impressed with his positional smarts, vision and passing too.  That and his ability to retrieve pucks and take them to the net would make him a good candidate to play with Petey and Miller.  He might not be a player who can carry a line offensively, but he'll shine as a complement to that kind of talent.  Defensively, him and Petey would be strong enough that they could pretty much go head to head with any other top line.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, I was impressed with his positional smarts, vision and passing too.  That and his ability to retrieve pucks and take them to the net would make him a good candidate to play with Petey and Miller.  He might not be a player who can carry a line offensively, but he'll shine as a complement to that kind of talent.  Defensively, him and Petey would be strong enough that they could pretty much go head to head with any other top line.

Also wouldn't eventually mind him on Bo's W. Bo could use a playmaker on his line, something Podz is already pretty decent at. And his defensive/two way  play would mesh well with the Horvat line's match up role.

I expect he starts on the third (or fourth) line but an eventual top 6 of:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser
Hoglander, Horvat, Podz

Sure looks purrrty to me :wub:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Podkolzin a solid top 9 and penalty killer with a low rookie cap hit. Is exactly what Canucks need.

i think Pod will fit good with all 3 centers. Petey, Bo and also Gaud.

36 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Podkolzin a solid top 9 and penalty killer with a low rookie cap hit. Is exactly what Canucks need.

i think Pod will fit good with all 3 centers. Petey, Bo and also Gaud.

I can not see a ceiling on Podz development, to me his work ethic is driving all that he can do and learn..

ive said before , he has the tenaciousness of Stan Smyl ,.  and the way he gets to the net is not unlike Bure going outside and taking a line.

a couple of bang up years with the Canucks and we might see another power forward that would look great in #44

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Forget the Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen comparisons.  These guys weren’t even drafted or were drafted like in the 9th round.

?

Woosh.

I was referring to Costmar when I mentioned Burrows / Hansen. 

Otherwise I'm not sure what you're referring to.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

?

Woosh.

I was referring to Costmar when I mentioned Burrows / Hansen. 

Otherwise I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I don't think I was referring to your post.  I believe a few others mentioned he was a Burrows comparable many times in this thread.  Agreed with Costmar.  I like him on our 4th line and he looks like a Burrows type pest with some skill.  Could be a diamond in the rough in the 7th round...

• Cheers 1