The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So in one period benched for a bad series of breakdowns by the whole team, but to end the game trusted to not only kill the penalty but defend the lead and scores the game deciding goal via empty net to ensure a win

Kids got jam

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Absolutely. This kid has decent skills and the heart of a lion. He was probably ready  to jump back on the ice about 10 minutes after he got hit, before he could even stand up by himself. Can't wait to see him in Vancouver.

Actually my comment was mostly a sardonic commentary that the thread had devolved into a Canucks general roster discussion and not focused on our very own Russian tank.

But yeah, agree with everything you said there. :towel: This roster is sorely lacking a player with this kids try-o-meter, even if it is as I suspect that his skating and skills will need further development. But with Podz, I have zero worries they will be addressed.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Ever since his concussion he suffered here in VAN he won't fight. Only talks and as a result does stupid things cause he won't fight. Its a shame really, his first year in VAN he had a career high in points and looked great. He also had that nasty knee injury which is why I think he's lost a step. Ultimately you see guys play the same way Roussel does and they don't last after 30. Their bodies are done. Roussel is 31.

Yeah I think it’s the knee injury that’s hurt his game. I don’t care if he doesn’t fight (wasn’t a particularly good fighter to begin with), but it’s unfortunate that he can’t even throw a proper hit anymore. 

• Vintage 1

I tend to think body checks are becoming a thing of the past. In the past you could count on big hits every game. Today the speed of the game and arbitrary suspension and fines plus of course the understanding of concussions is making big hits seem like a Dodo bird. It takes nimble skater to throw a hit in todays game. There's little financial reward and likely a good way to shorten your career with playing a physical game

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think body checks are becoming a thing of the past. In the past you could count on big hits every game. Today the speed of the game and arbitrary suspension and fines plus of course the understanding of concussions is making big hits seem like a Dodo bird. It takes nimble skater to throw a hit in todays game. There's little financial reward and likely a good way to shorten your career with playing a physical game

There's definitely some truth in this. Long gone are the days of the Derian Hatcher types...

21 hours ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Used to be a fan of Rooster but he’s just not effective anymore. Seems to have a hard time staying with the play, not as much jump as he used to have. Takes penalties as a result. 

He has always taken penalties, but is doing much less to make up for them.

• Cheers 2

On 3/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

He has always taken penalties but is doing much less to make up for them.

.I honestly think Jim entices Seattle to take him.

He's not a bad player and his contract will only have one year left. We have Lind, Gads, maybe Jayce who will be cheaper and should at least provide more offence.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:55 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

He has always taken penalties, but is doing much less to make up for them.

And his penalties are less effective. He was a pest before. Got under the opposition's skin. Now hes just undisciplined. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

And his penalties are less effective. He was a pest before. Got under the opposition's skin. Now hes just undisciplined. 

And the refs seem to really have it out for him. It’s too bad, he’s a great interview and seems to be q great character guy but we can’t have a marked man out there. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think it's wrong that I like this.

100% approve this penalty.

Or did he rough up the player balled up on the ice away from the scrum?  Regardless, at the very least, he's going to be soooo effective in the NHL on the physical side of things as soon as he steps on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:05 AM, Locke Lamora said:

Actually my comment was mostly a sardonic commentary that the thread had devolved into a Canucks general roster discussion and not focused on our very own Russian tank.

But yeah, agree with everything you said there. :towel: This roster is sorely lacking a player with this kids try-o-meter, even if it is as I suspect that his skating and skills will need further development. But with Podz, I have zero worries they will be addressed.

Yeah, this is definitely the kind of winger we are missing. Of course there are a few more in the prospect pool: Gadjovich is scoring at almost a goal a game clip in the AHL, McDonough at a point a game clip in USCollege, and Kunz at a strong rate in the USHL. Podkolzin is the smallest of those three at 6’1” 203, McDonough at 6’3” 190, and Kunz at 6’3” 215. All five of them play very robust games. With McEWen and Bailey close to becoming regulars, it could be a very interesting set of wingers when added to Miller (or is he really a center and Petterson the winger) Boeser, Hoglander, and Lind.

Podkolzin finishes off that group nicely.