The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

44 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

pretty sure he was #92 this year in the KHL/WJCs

I believe the number he has worn was #19, but he switched to #92 as both #19 and #91 were taken for SKA.  So because #19 is retired he will wear #91 with the Canucks.  I could be wrong though.  @Stierlitz would know better than me.

vmaxresdefault.jpg

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter is too slow for today's game, especially playoff hockey.  I am sure he can do well in a 4th line role in the regular season, but I'd rather have a speedier more truculent player centering the 4th line in the playoffs.

Fast he is not. And I do feel speed is important these days. Let's not forget his tendency to get injured as well.

I figured he did serve a mainly defensive role, he wants to be here, and by all accounts he is a good mentor and voice in the room. I was thinking he might be a decent 4th line center still at a deep pay cut. But if Beagle will be back, I think we would all rather ice 3 lines that can score.

I mean, if he wanted to stay on at 1m I'm sure we can find a way and that'd provide us good depth, but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sutter is too slow for today's game, especially playoff hockey.  I am sure he can do well in a 4th line role in the regular season, but I'd rather have a speedier more truculent player centering the 4th line in the playoffs.

Sutter isn't even remotely too slow.  Though I agree about his injuries, he's an important part of the team

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Sutter isn't even remotely too slow.  Though I agree about his injuries, he's an important part of the team

Yeah... Where's this 'Sutter is slow' coming from?

I mean he's not MacKinnon or McDavid (few are) but come on...

Injuries, age etc...yeah that's a concern. His speed? Not so much.

I'm hoping Benning can pull a Jenner (or similar) trade out of his hat but I have zero issues with Sutter as our plan B or C if nothing else materializes.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping Benning can pull a Jenner (or similar) trade out of his hat but I have zero issues with Sutter as our plan B or C if nothing else materializes.

I do only because he sucks and got rich for doing barely anything 

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

His speed is not the issue it’s his offense.

We need a two-way third line center who can drive offense once they get the puck. His 35 points over three seasons is just not good enough.

Sure he hasn’t had the best line mates but I don’t see him as a player that makes his linemates better. We need a third line center that can consistently bring 30+ points while shutting down the opposition.

If we bring him back it should be on the cheap and as a replacement for Beagle on the fourth line.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

We need a two-way third line center who can drive offense once they get the puck. His 35 points over three seasons is just not good enough.

Sure he hasn’t had the best line mates but I don’t see him as a player that makes his linemates better. We need a third line center that can consistently bring 30+ points while shutting down the opposition.

If we bring him back it should be on the cheap and as a replacement for Beagle on the fourth line.

Play Pods with Miller, and have Pods learn  center.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Play Pods with Miller, and have Pods learn  center.  

That would be wasting his talents IMO.

Pods strength is digging the puck out along the boards and driving the net from the wing. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He's pretty much averaged 30 points/82 games over his career. He can and does provide some secondary offense via an ability to counter punch. Especially, as you point out, with actual, capable, line mates (ie: not babysitting Gaudette/Virtanen).

Again, I'm happy to have Benning upgrade there if we can find that trade (Jenner? Paul?). I don't see any remaining UFA's that would necessarily be an improvement on Sutter (or for less money/term). 

As for the 'more scoring!'... I think that's a work in progress. Most of our remaining C prospects are of the smaller, faster, offense tilted, 2 way variety (Jasek, Costmar, Karlsson etc). Potentially including a C this draft from around 10? But we only have one more year of Beagle (assuming he's not LTIR) and you do need a bigger, hard minute guy on the roster.

Hopefully one of those guys develops in to that 'more offense!' 3C we're all looking for but we're still likely 2-3 years off them being established in that role. I'd happily trade for Jenner to start in that 3C role and eventually transition down as whichever kid earns that spot develops up. But again, barring that trade materializing, we still need SOMEONE to transition that for the next couple years.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2

He's pretty much averaged 30 points/82 games over his career. He can and does provide some secondary offense via an ability to counter punch. Especially, as you point out, with actual, capable, line mates (ie: not babysitting Gaudette/Virtanen).

Again, I'm happy to have Benning upgrade there if we can find that trade (Jenner? Paul?). I don't see any remaining UFA's that would necessarily be an improvement on Sutter (or for less money/term). 

As for the 'more scoring!'... I think that's a work in progress. Most of our remaining C prospects are of the smaller, faster, offense tilted, 2 way variety (Jasek, Costmar, Karlsson etc). Potentially including a C this draft from around 10? But we only have one more year of Beagle (assuming he's not LTIR) and you do need a bigger, hard minute guy on the roster.

Hopefully one of those guys develops in to that 'more offense!' 3C we're all looking for but we're still likely 2-3 years off then being established in that role. I'd happily trade for Jenner to start in that 3C role and eventually transition down as whichever kid earns that spot develops up. But again, barring that trade materializing, we still need SOMEONE to transition that for the next couple years.

We should try n pry jost from colorado 

Hopefully one of those guys develops in to that 'more offense!' 3C we're all looking for but we're still likely 2-3 years off then being established in that role. I'd happily trade for Jenner to start in that 3C role and eventually transition down as whichever kid earns that spot develops up. But again, barring that trade materializing, we still need SOMEONE to transition that for the next couple years.

What he’s averaged doesn’t really help us now. He’s only gotten 30+ points once with us and that was 5 seasons ago.

I guarantee they’re not looking at their lineup and pencilling in Sutter. One of our biggest needs is a third line center. It’s why you saw them try Sutter on the wing so much. They were trying everything to boost offense from the third line.

If Sutter is back it’s as a fourth line center or winger.

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

We should try n pry jost from colorado 

Meh. Again, we have guys developing that fill a Jost-like roll (with better defensive play).

Jost has a career face-off percentage below 40% (though it has improved recently) and gets decidedly offensive zone tilted usage. That's not what we need.

What he’s averaged doesn’t really help us now. He’s only gotten 30+ points once with us and that was 5 seasons ago.

He's averaged just shy of 31/82. I'm not suggesting he's been healthy. That's an entirely different discussion. But .38 points per game is pretty decent production for someone with defensively tilted, depth deployment any way you slice it.

I guarantee they’re not looking at their lineup and pencilling in Sutter. One of our biggest needs is a third line center. It’s why you saw them try Sutter on the wing so much. They were trying everything to boost offense from the third line.

They were also frantically trying to push Gaudette to develop.

Oh I'm sure they're working hard looking for a trade. And again, I'm all for it if they do... I'd love a Lind + Roussel (cap) + pick/depth prospect for Jenner trade. Doesn't mean it, or anything like it, will materialize though.

If Sutter is back it’s as a fourth line center or winger.

Only if Beagle is LTIR (which apparently don't be the case). He could very well be back next year as a short term, stop gap 3C again.

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hopefully one of those guys develops in to that 'more offense!' 3C we're all looking for but we're still likely 2-3 years off them being established in that role. I'd happily trade for Jenner to start in that 3C role and eventually transition down as whichever kid earns that spot develops up. But again, barring that trade materializing, we still need SOMEONE to transition that for the next couple years.

I want my 3c to have a high IQ, be a leader and be good at the dot.  Those are my main requirements for that spot and Sutter fits those nicely.  If he comes in at a good price, I see no reason not to bring him back

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

I want my 3c to have a high IQ, be a leader and be good at the dot.  Those are my main requirements for that spot and Sutter fits those nicely.  If he comes in at a good price, I see no reason not to bring him back

Sounds like a 4C to me in today's NHL. I'd be ok with Sutter in that role (4C) for 2.5 mil tops if Beagle is not coming back or alternating with Beagle as C/W (one of them will be injured on occasion...). He's not a playmaker though and not someone who drives offence on his own more than sporadically, so hard no from me relying on him as 3C going forward.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Sounds like a 4C to me in today's NHL. I'd be ok with Sutter in that role (4C) for 2.5 mil tops if Beagle is not coming back or alternating with Beagle as C/W (one of them will be injured on occasion...). He's not a playmaker though and not someone who drives offence on his own more than sporadically, so hard no from me relying on him as 3C going forward.

You know who is a play maker and likely to start on the third line next year? I'll give you a hint, we're in his thread ;)

Sutter is certainly not a play maker... But he is a better than decent shooter who can win draws and play solid defense and counter punch. I'd happily let Podkolzin regularly set him up all game and play a solid two way/transition game.

Again, I prefer a trade for a Jenner, Paul etc but as a plan B... Trade Ferland to Tampa for Killorn + to help them clear cap and re-sign Sutter to a lower dollar, 2 year deal.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Hoglander

Killorn, Sutter, Podkolzin

Highmore, Beagle, Motte

Then next year Sutter can slide down to 4C to replace Beagle (and maybe we just target Jenner as UFA). Eventually hopefully one of Jasek/Costmar/Karlsson/this drafts non lotto pick can develop in to that offensive/2 way 3C in the next 2-3 years (and if we did happen to sign Jenner, he could then slide to 4C).

#foundational succession plan

Edited by aGENT