The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade P.K. Subban to Devils for Steven Santini, Jeremy Davies, 2019 2nd-round pick, 2020 2nd-round pick

30 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm glad we didn't land PK. I feel he's too big a personality to fit with our young core. Bo is our leader, and I had a sneaking sense PK would want to take a large "leadership" role and clash. 

Absolutely........I like PK, but his personality does not fit in the current Canucks dressing room.  I feel like they've got a good, humble, hard working vibe going right now and PK would disrupt that

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We need to try & capitalize on this ASAP.

For a team lacking assets, its hard to look at that Marleau deal & wonder why we couldn't have done it.

Either way this is a prime opportunity to make a deal and/or gain assets. 

If I’ve learned anything about this management group, we didn’t do it because JB is going to “weaponize” the cap space by adding guys who can help the team. 

• Haha 2

Just now, stawns said:

Absolutely........I like PK, but his personality does not fit in the current Canucks dressing room.  I feel like they've got a good, humble, hard working vibe going right now and PK would disrupt that

I like PK as well but that’s a good point.  We aren’t good/established enough to take on a potential distraction like that just yet, especially since he really doesn’t fit the current group.

• Upvote 1

On the right side PK plays over 25 minutes a night and Ellis is close to 25min (same on the left with Josi and Ekholm).  That does not leave a lot of minutes for their 3rd pairing.  Moving Subban opens up minutes for Fabbro.  He will likely be paired with either Josi or Ekholm.  

Fabbro's showing at the Worlds, where he started as D7 and kept on increasing his role as the tournament went on, probably comforted them that he could take on a bigger role next season.   

As for NJD Taylor Hall at the end of the season was talking about how they have the culture that is conducive to winning - the work ethic, the speed, the team culture but are missing talent.  Shero concurred and said his priority this summer will be to add talent.  They do that with Subban.

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Santini is basically a bottom pairing defenceman at best, Davies could be decent puck moving defenceman but hasn't touched the AHL yet at 22 and the picks are 2nd rounders. Steal for NJD but this might have mainly been a bit of a cap dump.

Huh?

Davies isn't playing in the AHL b/c he's in the NCAA. Despite being a former 7th rounder, he's turned into an excellent prospect. Has been a 1st team Hockey East all-star for the last 2 seasons. I could see him being the key to this deal for Nashville.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Jersey won the deal. But I can at least understand what Nashville is going for, and why Vancouver couldn't have matched (short of something involving Juolevi).

Cost likely wouldn't have been the same for us as teams like to move better players out of conference when they move them. Nashville gets essentially a low 1st, likely a middling 2nd next year and two prospects for cap flexibility. 

This makes me so upset that the Canucks could have got P.K. easily considering what was given up for JT.

The Canucks had one of the worst defence in the NHL last year and needed to address that before anything else. 

Relying on free agency will be a joke. Average guys like Meyers will be getting stupid dollars and term. There are not enough options for free agent defencemen.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Pretty questionable return for a supposedly all-star,  game changing,  franchise defenceman.   

Say what you want about cap issues but that's selling low and getting rid of a locker room problem if you ask me. 

Again with the "locker room problem" narrative, eh?