The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

JT Miller is a very similar player with a bit more size. 

Drives to the net, isn't afraid to use his size and put up 47 points playing 14:40 a game last season. Bo put up 61 in 20:05 a game. Add another 3-5 minutes a game and Miller is a 55+ point player at only 5.25per and still only 26. 

Fair points but at 14 minutes he was probably going up against the third pairing defenceman most nights no? Yes he’ll get to play more minutes here and with better line mates but does that translate directly to 10 more points from last year if he’s constantly going up against the oppositions best defencemen?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

Also take into consideration its 50 points in the Eastern conference. That's not 50 points in the West. 

Not only that, it was 50 points on the top-scoring team in the league. Miller was 7th in points on his team, and 8th in goals. Namestnikov was also scoring lots on that team, before being traded away. The flipside though is he was a 55+ point player before he went to Tampa, so he may just not have worked with the team as well.

Overall, not a fan of the trade, because the team hasn't proved they can make the playoffs yet. It has the potential to blow up in our face. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The best case scenario is the Canucks going on a deep run next season and giving Tampa a 28th-31st pick. :P

Yeah, Miller will have to light it up and be a fan favourite for me to like this one.  Helping out another team AND giving up a first is tough.

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

Not making the comparison as a player.  I’m saying just because you are on a 2nd line doesn’t mean you are a bonafide 2nd liner.  Lots of $&!#ty players played consistently on a 2nd line, doesn’t mean they should or that they are 2nd liners

Ok... Miller isn't one of them. So irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

4 yrs x 5.25 million is an excellent contract imo.

I expect this deal to cost something worthwhile - he is no cap dump.

Well the only reason they traded him was because they need the space to resign their players, they took 0 salary back.  You can argue value, but not if this was a cap dump.

Also, according to your own arguments about Toronto.  I guess since we've traded our 1st away, rebuild is over and we have to make it to the 2nd round or this is an EPIC fail eh?  Let's see how it goes.  

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Canucks fans are brutal. Stop crying. It’s time to make the playoffs. 

Welcome, J.T. 

Jb most likely got more trades up his sleeve so pace yourselves with the tears. 

He's out of draft picks to give away so I doubt he has more trades up his sleeve. 

12 minutes ago, logic said:

Would you idiots rather have a bonafide top6 forward in his prime to play with horvat and boeser or MAYBE develop an NHL’ player who plays 300 games with that pick lmao

Irony:  Saying 1st round picked Boeser and 1st round picked Horvat needed 1st round picked Miller to play with.  But the 1st round pick we just traded away MAYBE develops into a guy who plays 300 games.  

lmao indeed

• Wat 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

JT Miller is a very similar player with a bit more size. 

Drives to the net, isn't afraid to use his size and put up 47 points playing 14:40 a game last season. Bo put up 61 in 20:05 a game. Add another 3-5 minutes a game and Miller is a 55+ point player at only 5.25per and still only 26. 

I tried to look this up but couldn't find it. Which position and line has he played in mostly? Basically what I'm asking if he plays 2nd line for us will he need to step up? Cheers

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

No I love watching the young core. Way better than 3 odd years ago where we were nowhere.

I just hope we didn’t sacrifice another piece of that core with this trade.

...I love the team but don’t like some of the moves. And I have the right to.

Absolutely.  Same goes for all of us.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Fair points but at 14 minutes he was probably going up against the third pairing defenceman most nights no? Yes he’ll get to play more minutes here and with better line mates but does that translate directly to 10 more points from last year if he’s constantly going up against the oppositions best defencemen?

2nd pair and middle 6 forwards if I remember correctly. He also put up 56 points on the 2nd line with the Rangers. He is a legit top 6 forward. 

• Cheers 1

I think, I would feel much better about this trade if Jim would have drafted a Dman in the 2nd round, and acquired another 2nd.

The reason is, that with our 1st (Podkolzin) we draft a solid 1st line player (IMO), which will be here in 2 years, with everything being equal

That make our 1st 2 line solid for years 3 and 4, Miller by that time can be replaced through the draft, or with Lind/Madden/Jasek/Gadjovich/Karlsson

Where my concern is, our Defense, which will probably be dealt with within the next 2 weeks, either in trade or a UFA signings, but again

with out possibly having a 2020 1st, and not drafting a Dman in the second or 3rd round this year, it gives me concern

We will certainly have a lot of extra spare parts (Forwards), this training camp, if Benning does not clear some out. I guess it is too early to

be completely discouraged, but I must admit, for the draft being in Vancouver, and the market conditions, I think Benning has done a terrible job, outside of

Podkolzin and Miller......

In my opinion, Benning has created a negative buzz this year, lets hope it does not carry into next season...…...as I said it is too early, still, but I am not feeling good 

about this draft so far...…………….

• Wat 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Fitting from someone named logic.

It's people thinking in absolutes that's the problem here. The pick has already been assigned value even though it has no exact value yet.

In building a contender, we can't be ignoring the top young players we already have. These guys need legit top 6 players to play with to elevate their games. If players like Horvat, Boeser, and Pettersson don't keep devleoping none of it matters anyways.

Horvat should be the happiest about this trade. We finally have a legit second line that can help him do some of the heavy lifting.

This is a legit Point ! Still hate to gave up 1st but at least some logic explanations WHY

4 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

It disgusts me how many pathetic losers are on here actually afraid of us trying to get better. It's like some of you want us to be stuck in a perpetual rebuild.

It disgusts me how many people on here can’t accept that others may have a different opinion than them and have to resort to referring to anyone as a “pathetic loser”. Also those same people are probable content in being a middling team that at best squeaks into the playoffs or just misses them rather than building a team that can compete for the Stanley cup for many years in a row. That’s just my opinion though so.

Edited by Aladeen
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1