The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

13 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Fact of the matter is

help, help I'm being 'stalked'!!!!

@mods plese help me!

Again, your opinion is merely opinion, whereas fact involves facts.

That you can't tell the difference isn't surprising.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

You can't just throw a blanket statement out there like that and expect it to be a valid argument as to why you think PK > Miller. Subban makes $9M (almost $4M more than Miller), he's coming off his worst season as a pro (36 points), he's on the wrong side of 30 and has an ego/brand that takes away from his team. So it's not as simple as defensemen > forwards. 

Lol, you blanket statement and ignore that he scored 31 points in 63 games which is a 0.5p/g. 

I guess whatever fits the narrative.

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

I agree

As well as fake supporters of this trade pretending like we definitely won it 

We didn’t win or lose this trade.  We got the ideal winger for Petey and Bess, who is in his prime, and on a great contract for four years.  Tampa got a first round pick, and didn’t have to take back salary they can’t afford.  It’s a fair trade for both teams, when considering where each team is in their level of compete.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

You can't just throw a blanket statement out there like that and expect it to be a valid argument as to why you think PK > Miller. Subban makes $9M (almost $4M more than Miller), he's coming off his worst season as a pro (36 points), he's on the wrong side of 30 and has an ego/brand that takes away from his team. So it's not as simple as defensemen > forwards. 

Another thing you need to consider is that JB is going to add another defenseman and the money saved by not trading for PK will go towards that. I get people are upset because defense is our biggest ares of weakness but it's June 22 folks, let's see how the summer plays out.

Exactly. JT is a perfect add to the tip six. Losing a first sucks and our D still isnt good enough. I will hold off on my final judgement of it all once I see the finished product. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

if only tampa wasnt up against cap this would seem like a fair trade imo.

They weren't limited at all on trade partners. A good player at a good cap hit, with no limits on movement, will get value regardless of cap situation because multiple teams would be making offers. The "they're cap strapped" bargain hunters would be quickly out of the running leaving teams seriously wanting a good player making real value offers. Cap strapped only matters if ntc's are involved in moving the player and trade partners are limited. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I get that JB may have overpaid for JT Miller, if certain conditions happen; however, what happens if the Canucks don't make the playoffs this coming year and win the lottery (pick Lafreniere or Raymond), then in 2021, they stack up on "D" and make the playoffs as a top 3 team in the Pacific Division....(they only need to improve the "D", so it is still possible finishing top 3 in 2021), then Tampa may get only a pick between 21 to 30 OA; if this is the case, then the trade is very good...if JT is a 55+ pts player and contributes to the success.

I can get stuck in the mud and think the worst, but I don't see this trade being that bad if certain conditions happen....that's why the Canucks negotiated a conditional 1st round pick (if anything, JB did not have to include a 3rd round pick in the trade)...he has a thing for always throwing in an extra pick, he needs to stop doing this.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It won't be a lottery pick. We were in the playoff mix for most of the season last year, and that was without the Sedins, a banged up Boeser, a crap defence, no Quinn Hughes, and a rookie top line center. Even as it sits right now, we're better than we were last year. EP isn't a rookie any more. Quinn Hughes will be in the lineup all year. Boeser will start the season healthy. We've added a top six forward in Miller. By virtue of that alone, we're better than we were last year. 

And we're not done yet, either. We still have cap space to play with, and Benning has stated that he's going to improve the defense. We could end up handing out an ugly contract to someone like Myers or Gardiner, which I'm dead-set against, but regardless of that, it will improve the blueline in the short term. I'd prefer to go the trade route, but whatever happens happens.  

Any delusions of landing another EP or Hughes were just that. Delusion. The team is trending upwards, whether you like it or not.

Well then I guess this becomes the debate/conversation.

The first thing I think we really need to point out, is that the Western Conference playoff race last year was embarrassing. One of the worst in recent memory, if not ever.

The bottom 3 Western Conference teams (VGK, DAL, COL) all finished with less points than any 8th seed in the last 3 years. That definitely played a part in this team feeling closer last year.

The team did take a step. But how much of it was Marky's incredible play? Some metrics show he was like a top 5 goalie. Can you expect that same kind of elite level type goaltending from Marky next year? And if not are we good enough to make it? Right now that's a no from me. When Alex Edler went down last year, the team went on massive losing streaks. 

So that brings us to the defense, which needs massive improvement to get into the playoffs.

Quinn Hughes will help, he'll drive more offense 5 on 5 which is huge. But its his first year & he'll definitely be sheltered. So he's not going to be playing huge minutes against tough competition, atleast to start. I imagine he starts on the 3rd pair.

Other options from within:

- Olli Juolevi is a question mark, the plan will just be getting him in the NHL, not relying on him to be an impact player. 

- Jett Woo is probably not ready 

- Brogan Rafferty looked good, maybe he's a 3rd pair guy but not likely an impact guy next season

- Then Ben Hutton's future is still up in the air, but we know what he is. 

- And what are they going to do with Chris Tanev? They can't be relying on him again.

No doubt they are going hard after Tyler Myers. If not Jake Gardiner too. And hopefully they consider Stralman as a nice short term fit. But those are really the only options in Free Agency.

As far as trade, the problem once again is not having assets. Maybe prices will come down & they can take advantage, but man PK Subban & Patrick Marleau were GOLDEN opportunities and they could get in on it.  And they've never been interested in weaponizing cap space to get more assets. So that avenue will be tough, as we found out with the Tyson Barrie rumours. Teams don't view Virtanen/Stecher/Hutton as top assets.

We'll have to see what happens, they aren't done. There's still alot of work to do. This defense needs to be improved or its still not a playoff team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

Ok that’s nice to know your opinion. 

It wasn't what I was ever talking about and don’t know how it relates to me.

you seem to be upset that the value is off. But honestly I don't give &^@# about the whining here. Go mope about a pick if that floats your boat. 

• Cheers 1

I know it is all about discussion, but it is pretty fair to say we have no idea if it will be a good or bad trade for a year or two.

If we give up a 15-20th pick, we did well.  If we end up giving a 5th overall, it is a bad deal.

We did probably lose out on the chance to use that pick as a trade chip for a young D under club control.  I like the free agent forwards this year more than the D.  No guarantees that we could close a deal on a D, so a bird in the hand with J.T. ....  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Exactly! Not sure why people think we gave up a first for a salary dump. Canuck fans actually this dumb?

I think it's mostly a kneejerk reaction to giving up the 1st. Imo, some feel that by trading the 1st for Miller, it pretty much kills the chances of acquiring a player like Barrie.

Just now, oldnews said:

I'll make you a deal.

You put me on your ignore list and I will happily follow suit.

No I’m good.

I’m not insecure and don’t mind seeing you. It’s you that can’t contain yourself at the sight of me and then cry wolf when I call you out. So if you want to go ahead, cheers.

• Upvote 1