The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The real scary part of all of this is that the owners seem to be behind what he did. They may have had a chance to add a first for next year by dealing with Toronto. The big interview that Aquaman did , preaching patience's and saying that they would not sell the future and then this . They know that the fans want this rebuild done the right way so they talk the talk but are not willing to walk it.

They are about to go big into the UFA market. Mark my words. You don't do this move without adding to our defense. They will be all in July 1st. 

Hell, Marleau may have wanted to play here? Allthough same time zone, its really only a 2 hour shorter flight to SJ.

That would have been an awesome deal! 

My understanding is Carolina took the 1st, effectively so he could be bought out.  And will sign in SJ.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I didn't like his or his dads attitude but 33 points in his first and only full season here is hardly a dud. 

Jesus dude, whatever man, take it home as a win then. He was a spectacular draft pick for Vancouver who was humble and played his guts out for this team

• Haha 1

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

I agree that I am being aggressive but it’s a 2way road.

If others that are pro-JB this trade can look down on others who don’t like it, then it’s fair play to receive it too.

I think most people, even those that like the trade, agree that it was a steep price to pay. In fact, I don't think you're going to find a person on this board, or any Canuck fan in general that's like "Meh, who cares?". 

However, it looks to me like the people who are most against this trade seem to think Miller is absolute crap. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Just because we paid a certain value (a premium) doesn’t mean another team will if he remains a 50pt scorer.

1.) No team as bad as us in the past 4 years will be stupid enough to give their lottery pick up for Miller who’s a 2nd liner player and not even top line 2.) His value will go down as he gets older. He’s 26 now so even 2 years from now when he’s 28, his value will naturally depreciate. Unless he miraculously becomes some 70 point scorer.

13 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

He was actually 24 at the time & was dealt in a package with McDonagh so it’s impossible to tell what the actual value for just him was.

And anyways, it proves his value depreciated in 2 years time and will only continue to as he gets older and creeps into his late 30’s.

31 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

:picard:

Our fans are such homers and so delusional that they literally can’t think rationally without their emotions/bias/team pride get the best of them for a fair analysis.

27 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Hypothetically, no team will give up what we gave to get Miller because we paid a premium which looks to be a lottery pick 2 years down the road. 

The Canucks are the worst team record wise over the past 4 years so the onus is on the Canucks to prove they can become a playoff team and not give Tampa what atm looks to be a lottery pick.....not the other way around which is what people have to understand here.

37 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

And for anyone that’s far up JB’s ass being that much of a homer who doesn’t acknowledge it as bad value, just think:

We gave up more value to get Miller than NJ did to get Subban. Dmen are more valuable than forwards. Miller isn’t even a 1st liner whereas Subban is a top line dman and a Norris winner. 

...perspective...

I’m done lol

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

EP40 is your favourite, right?  JTM is a 220 pound, 200 foot, hard on pucks, 50 point winger who is going to help Petey.  And JTM is in his prime!  

EP is going to be even more effective with Miller.  Petey might get 100 points with Miller!  

Don't let the username fool you; his favorite is Brad Marchand.

24 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Hughes Juolevi Woo

Honestly Id be cool with an upgrade on D as long as were moving one in part of the deal I want to keep sopts open for these guys to move into. I'm not really big on going out and getting a FA D on a long term with $$ attached. If JB can pull a hockey trade for one of Tanev Hutton I'm game 

Well brace yourself. All signs point to Benning going full out for Tyler Myers. I'm expecting another bad contract.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

well if we lose a top 5 pick at least its to TB which won't sting as much as other teams

Unless they trade it to a conference rival. ...

Strange that a rebuilding team would trade away more picks than the team did when they were an actual CUP contender. 

Benning has traded more picks away than Gillis did. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hell, Marleau may have wanted to play here? Allthough same time zone, its really only a 2 hour shorter flight to SJ.

That would have been an awesome deal! 

My understanding is Carolina took the 1st, effectively so he could be bought out.  And will sign in SJ.

And even though Marleau is bought out, because he was 35 when that deal was signed, his full cap hit counts against Carolina’s cap.  

Just now, wiseupsucker said:

Jesus dude, whatever man, take it home as a win then. He was a spectacular draft pick for Vancouver who was humble and played his guts out for this team

He wasn't a spectacular pick, nor was he a dud.

He was a solid pick with attitude issues and eventually a genetic disorder. There is such thing as a middle ground you know...

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Next year it is. After that could be 1st overall and there's no protection...

Ok, fair enough but I don't think there's been a trade in NHL history involving conditions over multiple years. 

Edited by VIC_CITY

25 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I guess some of the Canucks most trusted analysts are just “HaTeRs” too? Right. 

JB:

great talent/scout evaluator, terrible trade evaluator.

So, my take on this is, Burke does not run an NHL team, and would NEVER be trusted to run an NHL team. 

I will trust Bennings judgement over Burke’s any day of the week.

We got a quality top 6 winger for what should be a late 1st round pick.

I’m okay with this.

We have players who deserve the chance to compete now!

Edited by VegasCanuck
Additional
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Hypothetically, no team will give up what we gave to get Miller because we paid a premium which looks to be a lottery pick 2 years down the road. 

The Canucks are the worst team record wise over the past 4 years so the onus is on the Canucks to prove they can become a playoff team and not give Tampa what atm looks to be a lottery pick.....not the other way around which is what people have to understand here.

Actually not to split hairs but that honour goes to Buffalo by virtue of 1 point less ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think most people, even those that like the trade, agree that it was a steep price to pay. In fact, I don't think you're going to find a person on this board, or any Canuck fan in general that's like "Meh, who cares?". 

However, it looks to me like the people who are most against this trade seem to think Miller is absolute crap. 

Completely wrong.

1. Most people/homers I’ve interacted with said it’s a fair price for a 2nd liner (what looks to be a lottery pick atm)

2. Nope. I think everyone has acknowledged he’s a good 2nd line player. We just don’t like the value which some people are disagreeing and saying it’s fair

:]