The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't give a rats ass how many teams struggled last year. I care about how the Canucks do and 63 to 79 to 81 points shows a very distinct pattern and the team is only getting better. Eventually you gotta crawl out of the dumpster, bye Edmonton. 

And the sooner we get quality players in the line-up to compliment Petey, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes the sooner we'll be contending. You can't depend entirely on draft picks and waiting.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The risk needs to be taken now.  Our young core is great, especially EP.  The group deserves to have the holes filled, so they can have the support they need to be their best.  We got a top winger, who is in his prime,, and on a very good contract.  

I think it's a year early and he's not a top winger.

But I would love to be wrong. I know you won't believe me but I was wrong once before.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Benning said the same thing -  that it was fabricated.

But if your hockeyinsiderrrrsssss say it was close to done, who are Sakic and Benning to contradict your experts and supersources?!

Of course it was.  Heaven forbid he makes a trade of value . 

Always been a Benning supporter,  but my God, this guy simply doesnt have the personality or ability to take advantage of obvious opportunities.  Im actually floored at how stupid this group has been in the trade and free agent signing department.  Benning is a great scout, horrible GM. 

Id rather have a jerk that gets things done then a nice guy that cant . He is way too nice to be a pitbull GM. Just the way it is. Nice guy , terrible GM. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except it's not a guaranteed 2020 draft pick... 

Also Madden or Woo wouldn't have been enough to get the deal anyway...

Yes meaning it could be worse in 2021. My hope for the pick is we miss this year & make it next year.

I don't know if it would've or not, the guy was just saying it was better to trade the pick than a prospect for which I disagreed.

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't give a rats ass how many teams struggled last year. I care about how the Canucks do and 63 to 79 to 81 points shows a very distinct pattern and the team is only getting better. Eventually you gotta crawl out of the dumpster, bye Edmonton. 

For sure, but in a regular year the Canucks are still further away. They were 9 points back this year. In 2018 they would've been 14 points back.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

We'll Myers is going to be in Vancouver tomorrow to meet with our brass. 

I don't have a problem with talking to Myers.

Myers makes world's more sense than Gardiner - and world's more sense than the long list of misfit smurf forwards the team was 'linked' to.

Myers makes more sense than adding another pmd - another small, one dimensional defenseman - at great cost - as has been speculated in all the unfounded Barrie talk - and likewise with a handful of other names that don't make sense.

The team needs some size, it needs a more versatile, two way blueliner imo.

Would Myers be my first choice?  Maybe not - but he's the kind of player the team needs - and failing other options or at a more reasonable/acceptable cost relative to other options, he might be worthwhile, and it's certainly worthwhile finding out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Of course it was.  Heaven forbid he makes a trade of value . 

Always been a Benning supporter,  but my God, this guy simply doesnt have the personality or ability to take advantage of obvious opportunities.  Im actually floored at how stupid this group has been in the trade and free agent signing department.  Benning is a great scout, horrible GM. 

Id rather have a jerk that gets things done then a nice guy that cant . He is way too nice to be a pitbull GM. Just the way it is. Nice guy , terrible GM. 

Lemme guess..... Miller is an awful deal?

Let's hear your trade or UFA targets.  Obviously you're full of great ideas.

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yes meaning it could be worse in 2021. My hope for the pick is we miss this year & make it next year.

I don't know if it would've or not, the guy was just saying it was better to trade the pick than a prospect for which I disagreed.

For sure, but in a regular year the Canucks are still further away. They were 9 points back this year. In 2018 they would've been 14 points back.

Year to year is what it is, we're very clearly trending upwards though. And Miller will help that greatly imo. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Playing with a magician like EP40 i wouldn't at all be surprised if JTM scores 25+ next season with 40 Assists. 

He's exactly what EP and BB need. Desperately needed a player like him.

Miller can pass the puck. That's huge. Now you have a power forward who can make a pass and play heavy board game, dig out pucks. 

Boeser is pure shooter. EP and JTM both pass and score. 

Gonna be a sick line next year for us...

and he will create space for both of them. if teams focus on Brock and Petey he is too good to left alone. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't have a problem with talking to Myers.

Myers makes world's more sense than Gardiner - and world's more sense than the long list of misfit smurf forwards the team was 'linked' to.

Myers makes more sense than adding another pmd - another small, one dimensional defenseman - at great cost - as has been speculated in all the unfounded Barrie talk - and likewise with a handful of other names that don't make sense.

The team needs some size, it needs a more versatile, two way blueliner imo.

Would Myers be my first choice?  Maybe not - but he's the kind of player the team needs - and failing other options or at a more reasonable/acceptable cost relative to other options, he might be worthwhile, and it's certainly worthwhile finding out. 

I think Gardiner is a better player than Meyers, and would prefer we get him.  I see Gardiner as a top pair guy.  To me, Meyers is not a top pair guy.  I have fancy numbers to support though.  Just the old alien eye test.  

EDLER - MYERS

SCHENN - HUGHES

HUTTON - STETCHER

JUOLEVI - WOO

Love it.

Any day of the week at least one pairing is on fire.

Tanev & Sutter are worth 1sts if packaged right.

Edited by Me_

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Playing with a magician like EP40 i wouldn't at all be surprised if JTM scores 25+ next season with 40 Assists. 

He's exactly what EP and BB need. Desperately needed a player like him.

Miller can pass the puck. That's huge. Now you have a power forward who can make a pass and play heavy board game, dig out pucks. 

Boeser is pure shooter. EP and JTM both pass and score. 

Gonna be a sick line next year for us...

I see that as best case scenario - the complimentary piece to Petey/Boeser. Worst case Miller/Horvat/Pearson make opposition life a living hell. 

I'm already looking forward to next season with just the addition of Hughes and Miller. Then there's still free agency, possible summer trades, and the possibility of other prospects making the team out of camp.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

All fair points, but it should also be noted that one of these western teams scrapping to get into the playoffs was able to eek in, largely on the back of a hot goaltender, and ended up winning the Stanley Cup. The offseason is still young, but outside of Colorado and St Louis, it's pretty difficult for me to see any of the teams in the west making drastic improvements by next season. Outside of the two teams mentioned, I actually think we're primed to be one of the fastest risers in the west. Maybe that doesn't quite get us in, but it should be pretty damn close. 

Hopefully, with Hughes in the lineup and another top 4 Dman almost assuredly joining the team, they'll be able to use Edler a bit more sparingly than they have in the past, relieving some of the pressure and allowing him the opportunity to stay healthy. 

As far as Markstrom goes, we will have to rely on him pretty heavily, but I have more faith in Demko as a backup than I did with Nilsson, so that should give us solid backup to put in if Markstrom does go cold. Also, we're most certainly not the only team that will have to rely heavily on a goaltender. I'll bring up St Louis as an example again. Sure, they're primed to end up with a much better record than they had last season, but if Binnington struggles, that's all up in the air. Point being that our situation with Markstrom really isn't any different than the situation most other teams are facing. 

I agree that there's still a lot of work to do, and as it sits we're probably not quite a playoff team (although I think we're closer than some might believe). I'd like to find a legit top 6 to play with Horvat and Pearson to really round out the offense. With Podkolzin waiting in the wings, I think looking at veteran wingers that won't be looking for much term could be the way to go. Sign a still-productive veteran to a two year deal and either move him or cut him loose when Podkolzin is ready to make the jump without missing a beat. And obviously the defense needs some serious work as well, but it's been pretty much guaranteed that it will be addressed (how we go about it remains to be seen).

Overall, if things play out the way they should, I like our chances. And if things don't pan out this year and we miss yet again, and we do end up with a high pick, we get to keep it. And it's really hard for me to imagine us missing again in 2021. 

Good points, pretty much agree with everything here.

The big question mark is the defense. Without it we may not make playoffs, even if we can add another forward.

Its nice to get Miller, as a player, he'll be a great fit & he's under contract. But it almost would've been nice to give up that price for a D. Oh well maybe it wasn't enough.

Wonder if we were in on Subban? Apparently NJ was the only team out of the 4 in the mix that was willing to take on his full contract. 

There's some solid vet options in the UFA market. Just depends if we are of interest. Zuccarello, Stralman would be nice adds. Johansson & Lee are other options. But D is first & fore-most.

I'm not sure what to think about our playoff chances until I see what we do. I think we'll take another step this year, but If we can't improve our defense I think we'll miss again. Beyond that who knows what happens, if we miss who knows if JB is still around or which defenseman are available the following summer. . 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

I took the day to really think about this, listening to TSN 1040, watching The Hockey Guy's take on YouTube, amongst other things. There's no doubt this is a high risk move, but at the end of the day, the odds of Miller being an impact player now is greater than the odds of a first round pick in 2020 being an impact player by 2021. If the 2021 first round pick ends up being a lottery pick, I think the failure is  not so much the trade itself as much as it's an indication of much bigger issues in Vancouver. This honestly reminds me of the Schneider for 2013 first deal that had SO many people up in arms. Time will tell. Right now, I'm optimistic!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Lemme guess..... Miller is an awful deal?

Let's hear your trade or UFA targets.  Obviously you're full of great ideas.

Miller is a good acquisition.  Like everyone in the hockey world is saying , the price is way to high. He was under the gun to show he has the undercarriage to make good deals outside of drafting. He failed. He has yet to show he can take advantage of weak teams . The fact he gave up a 1st and 3rd  round pick to a team with zero leverage is pretty amazing actually. The fact that was the best he could do with so many teams up against the cap is hilarious.  

Edited by cuporbust

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

EDLER - MYERS

SCHENN - HUGHES

HUTTON - STETCHER

JUOLEVI - WOO

Love it.

Any day of the week at least one pairing is ON.

Edler Zaitsev

Hughes Myers

Hutton Stecher

Schenn

Plus another top 6 forward

One of

Ferland /Johansson /Nyquist/ Lee /Dzingle

Edited by WHL rocks

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Good points, pretty much agree with everything here.

The big question mark is the defense, without it we may not make it even if we can add another forward. Its nice to get Miller as a player, he'll be a great fit & he's undercontract. But it almost would've been nice to give up that price for a D. Oh well maybe it wasn't enough.

Wonder if we we're in on Subban, apparently NJ was the only team out of the 4 in the mix that was willing to take on his full contract. 

There's some solid vet options in the UFA market. Just depends if we are of interest. Zuccarello, Stralman would be nice adds. Johansson & Lee are other options. But D is first & fore-most.

I'm not sure what to think about our playoff chances until I see what we do. I thin we'll take another step this year, but If we can't improve our defense I think we'll miss again. Beyond that who knows what happens, if we miss who knows if JB is still around or which defenseman are available the following summer. . 

My biggest worry now is what we do with the blueline. Obviously we're going to do something, but if we throw a giant contract at Myers, we may hamstring ourselves if a trade for a true no 1 right handed defenseman pops up. Something akin to the Trouba situation. I'd hate to see a situation where something like that pops up and we're too capped out to pull the trigger.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Gardiner is a better player than Meyers, and would prefer we get him.  I see Gardiner as a top pair guy.  To me, Meyers is not a top pair guy.  I have fancy numbers to support though.  Just the old alien eye test.  

oh Alfie, I'm afraid I can't help

I have my reservations about Myers - mostly around what the contract would have to look like.  At reasonable terms I'd listen.

But Gardiner - there's just no conceivable way I could talk myself into that.   Just an awful fit - not a need - an overpriced redundancy with far too much liability and risk - I think he might be the worst signing that happens this summer - unless someone with a Giordano to play beside him picks him up.

• Cheers 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Edler Zaitsev

Hughes Mayers

Hutton Stecher

Schenn

You don’t want Zaitsev.

CBS Zaitsev stats

You want Reilly, Hainsey or Muzzin and that ain’t happening.

Schenn has found an all out to defend Hughes purpose that makes him the perfect asset not only to keep, but to play with Hughes.

Nonetheless, it seems to be Schenn’s spot to lose and I think he got the point. His brother just won a Cup. So they’ll be extra motivation at the Schenns.