The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

As long JTs production stays the same or better I'm ok with this. Just don't pull another Lui E bust. 

If they make playoffs this season, then who cares what Tampa gets in the 15+ pick. Whoever nux get at that position who help until at least 3-4 yrs from now. 

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I don't think you have much idea how these kinds of deals get hashed out in an organization.

Green likes guys - he puts stuff on the table - sometimes things get done around it. ie Roussel

Bracket likes players - tracks them as amateurs - circles back when there's an opportunity - sometimes things get done around it.  ie Tyler Motte.

Weisbrod likes a player, tracks them, sees an oportunity - sometimes things get done around it. ie Baertschi.

The funny thing - a lot of people on these boards like to pretend that Brackett is responsible for all things good  Canucks related - and yet for all you know he may have been the driving force behind the Miller acquistion.  Or perhaps that was Green. 

The amateru scouts you love- they don't turn off their ears, eyes and input simply because a player is not a 17 yr old amateur in junior hockey.

Maybe Green gives input on players but he doesn't make trades. This doesn't change the fact that Benning hasn't done well in trades. That's part of his job.

• Upvote 1

Bold move by JB

If he doesn't make playoffs next year he'll be fired.

Or not extended as his contract expires after next season. 

He knows he has to make playoffs so he made this trade under pressure. 

Let's wait to find out who the draft pick is before blowing our collective lid.

If it's pick 15 to 32 it's a win. 10 to 15 it's a tie 1 to 9 it's a loss.

But that's 2 yrs down the road.. we needed a player like this..

Edited by WHL rocks

6 minutes ago, babalu said:

They needed to shed contract and they did very well with the return on this one.

You seem to think Tampa's trade options were limited. This wasn't a Kesler scenario where they had one team to talk to. That's where the wheels fall off the "but they were cap strapped" theory. 

They traded a good player at a decent cap hit that any team in the league would love to have. No ntc in play to limit his movement, meaning every team could bid on him. Cap strapped or not they would have got full value for him. The bargain hunters would have been out of the trade talks quickly leaving teams serious about acquiring a good player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's a hockey trade and Tampa Bay isn't a team that gives quality players away for nothing. Many insiders have said it was a good deal while clickbaiters like JD Burke, Sekeres and their ilk play to the lowest common denominator for the emotional overreactions like those of @Generational.EP40 @Canadian Rugby Etc...

It’s not an amazing deal like CDC is hyping it up to be, but it’s not a bad deal either. Looking at the Subban trade and looking at this, just doesn’t look good.

I can see us making the Playoffs in 2021 though.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

:sick:

On 6/1/2019 at 6:53 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

And here I am contemplating buying a Marchand jersey if they win the Cup because I respect his transformation as a hockey player to one of the best in the world 

On 6/1/2019 at 7:04 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

giphy.gif

stay humble, accept the reality, recognize greatness, and try to move on if you can. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yes, the Canucks have been the 2nd worst team in the NHL over the last 4 years. But only someone with blinders on didn’t see that this team took strides last year.

I have my thoughts on this trade, don’t love it, don’t hate it. But no matter what side you are on, you can’t say that this trade didn’t just make us a better team for the next 2+ years with a talented top 6 center/winger.

You can’t look at the last 4 seasons, and say that this team is the same and will continue that path, cause it’s not and it won’t.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, hammertime said:

I kinda feel like the Canucks should be calling on lil Joe Pavelski. Yes he's old but on a short term $$ deal say 2 years I feel like he is the type of mentor we need for this young core. He can still produce at a high rate as well. He comes off the books just as we need to re up Pete and we insert Podkolzin. 

Miller Pete Boeser 

Pearson Bo Joe 

Roussel Sutter Virtanen

Baer Beagle Goldobin

depth

Granlund Gaudette(M) Leivo 

I was thinking of something along these lines too. With Podkolzin waiting in the wings, it negates the need to go all in for a young RW like Nylander or something. If we can get a stopgap like Pavelski for decent value, we can be be competitive in the short term, then cut him loose when Pod is ready and not miss a beat. 

Still hate it.

Tampa was the desperate team yet this feels like Benning was the one that caved/got outplayed.

I don't see why we couldn't continue to draft and develop like we had been doing since the Boeser pick. Let the players organically figure it out, keep drafting high, and when there is tangible proof that the team has turned the corner, make this type of deal. We are still a bottom 10 team and Aquilini's comment saying "the dark are over" indicates this team thinks the rebuild is over after 2-3 years when it clearly is not.

28 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Really?

In one season +19 games at the end of ther previous - from 17/18 in NY to 18/19 in Tampa - he has devalued because of age?

Or was it the mere 65 pts in 94 games in Tampa that tanked his value?  .69 ppg in Tampa, .50 ppg for the NYR - and his value has tanked in Tampa?

Cool story.

28 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

He was actually 24 at the time & was dealt in a package with McDonagh so it’s impossible to tell what the actual value for just him was.

And anyways, it proves his value depreciated in 2 years time and will only continue to as he gets older and creeps into his late 30’s.

Did you not read the post just before yours? Jeesh!

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It’s not an amazing deal like CDC is hyping it up to be, but it’s not a bad deal either. Looking at the Subban trade and looking at this, just doesn’t look good.

I can see us making the Playoffs in 2021 though.

I don't think I've seen anyone call it an amazing deal nor do I think it's an amazing deal. It’s simply a good hockey trade. And we're 2 years minimum from declaring a winner of this deal. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Damn, you really are a stalker 

@StealthNuck I need a restraining order from him pls (like srsly)

Well, is EP40 your favourite player or not?  If he is you should be super excited we got the ideal big bodied, hard on pucks winger for him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Well, is EP40 your favourite player or not?  If he is you should be super excited we got the ideal big bodied, hard on pucks winger for him.  

I love the player.

It doesn’t mean I want my team paying an unreasonable price for said player. If that’s the case, I like Marner. Let’s give Toronto 5 1st round picks for him lol.

See what I mean? It’s okay to like the player but not like the trade value we gave up :) 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

You keep saying this, but there’s nothing to back it up. There is as much chance the team makes the playoffs in the next 2 years as there is they miss the next 2 years.

Okay quick math lesson.  There are 46 possible draft positions that Van may have to send Tam's way (16 in 2020, 31 in 2021) .  Only 15 of these possible draft picks are lottery picks, so the chances of the pick being a lottery pick is 15/46 or 32%.