The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

34 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I don't understand your infatuation with the CHL and why you'd want to see him play there? This bottom-6 pest role, which we'd all arguably like to see him play in, is the exact role he's getting right now with his SHL club. I'd rather just keep him there as he can further learn to grow into that role playing against men.

I feel like it would be counterproductive for him to be groomed into that role in the chl. Makes more sense for him to compete with men as opposed to kids. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

Costmar was a very pleasant surprise against Russia hope he can keep it up. He reminds me of ex Canuck Jarkko Ruutu, but a smaller thinner version.....he can really drive the other team crazy.

looking forward too seeing this kid play more this world jrs.

Not as yappy as Jarkko or Tikkanen, but an agitator just the same.  How often does a Swede draw this many comparisons with Fins?  That's a good thing in my books.  Great pick, whether or not he ultimately makes our team (but I think he will).

• Cheers 4

I thought Costmar had strong games against the Russians and again last night against the Americans. The way he was playing the Swedish coach should have let him take the penalty shot. Coach must like what he sees as Costmar was getting PP time. He was noticeable most shifts. 

Who knows what the future holds or if his game would translate to the NHL. With his tenacity, puck hounding and in your face style, down the road he could be a good 3rd or 4th line center for us.

2-3 years from now, this could be a great in your face line  that could check and score (Lind-Costmar-Macewan)

Hope he continues to work on his faceoffs, which is already a strength he has displayed in the wjc. I won't be surprised if he has a big impact on the upcoming match against Finland.

15 minutes ago, Millsy said:

Our 7th round draft pick in the 2019 NHL entry draft, #215 overall, was just named one of team Sweden’s top 3 players of the WJHC.

Edmonton drafted Broberg in the first round, #8 overall. He was not a top 3 player.

GMJB out GM’d again! 

I thought Broberg was very underwhelming against the good teams this tourney. Could just be my bias against the coilers though lol. Soderstrom would have been a better pick for them imo 

• Cheers 2