The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

A lot of really talented players ("stars") in this tournament, obviously - but the ones I like to watch the most are players like Costmar (not just homer-speak here).

His goal(s) may be what gains him recognition (stayed engaged after that breakaway opportunity) - but for me he's one of those players that is a pleasure to watch because of what he does without the puck on his stick.  He really has a 'complete' nose for the game imo - always going to the right areas, very responsible - a level of hockey intelligence that not a lot of players possess, even the 'elite' talents.   A telling sign to see him on a scoring line but also taking key draws shorthanded.

His 'mental' game kind of reminds me of his number-sake (14) Burrows - who also had that continuous/unbroken concentration - always hounding the puck and taking the key territory on the ice.

The other guy that has stood out for me in a similar way thus far is the Russian (#13) Ponomarev (the Canes 53rd overall pick in this year's draft) - another really bright center imo who has a high end ability to read where to be/get to on the ice - first few shifts of the tournament were a cue to watch him - "who's that"? - intelligent and has that drive/intent to get to the heart of the play.    Love to watch players like this - tend not to be valued highly enough imo - don't tend to register as 'stars' but guys you win with.

Seems like a pretty common trait in most of the guys drafted during Jimbos tenure

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Tobias Bjornfot and Victor Soderstrom looked really good to me. Happy with what I'm seeding from Costmar. Im hopeful Podkolzin can score a couple goals and prove doubters wrong 

Soderstrom particularly has a good look to his game IMO

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you think Quebec keeps their nickname?

Quebec Desert Dogs ;)

Even if they get moved, they're still a mess the way they've been run. It's going to take 5+ years before they start cleaning up that mess. That's half this poor kid's career!

• Like 1

This kid isn’t getting all the hype but he is really showcasing his skill set against his fellow future Canuck teammate. Goes hard to the net and plays a hard nosed game. He could play a huge part in our bottom 6 in the near future considering our need for cheap players and cap space.

• Thanks 1