The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Arvid Costmar | C

|   5'11"   |   181 lbs

Shoots | Right

Born | 2001-07-07

Draft | 2019 Round 7 #215 Overall by Vancouver Canucks

1922359783_ScreenShot2019-06-22at5_34_28PM.thumb.png.1ea3e43906a6733607dd91e9de8602ba.png

An under-the-radar prospect, Arvid Costmar is a skilled forward whose best attribute is his vision in the offensive zone. He has a knack for finding open areas, opening up the ice for himself and his teammates.  -- Canucks Army

Center Arvid Costmar led Sweden in scoring and had the best performance in the tournament (u-18 5 Nations) among the Swedish forwards. He was the driving force behind Sweden’s offense all tournament. He played the game at a solid pace and has a knack for getting himself open is prime scoring spots. When he gets passes in a scoring position he wastes no time. When he shoots he gets really low and hammers a low one-time snap shot. He posted seven points including four goals. -- Draft Prospects Hockey

Edited by GoldenAlien

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

Cue the random complaints of people who wanted a defender at this draft. lol

So much for BPA. Oh well, we will need D faster than we can develop them in our system, so hopefully we can acquire a couple by other means a la Mike Gillis.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, The Lock said:

Yeah, I get that people were surprised to see zero Dmen drafted. I was surprised too, just because it’s unusual for any team. The BPA chips just don’t tend to fall that way. But they did this time. I had no quibbles with the actual picks we made. And really, outside of maybe the top-50, defencemen are going to be long term projects and crap shoots as to whether or not they pan out. No one drafted in the middle to late rounds is going to be ready in time to address our current positional needs. And who knows what the roster will look like in a few years. Could be we’re overflowing with NHL Dmen by the time this year’s late round picks are actually ready (if any of them even become ready). I’m sure we’ll pick up some Dmen in next year’s draft, maybe even some re-entry/overagers. And we’ll continue to look at UDFA’s from college, Europe, and aged out juniors. Plus regular free agency and trades addressing team needs directly. Not really an issue. Certainly we weren’t going to fix our current RHD NHL depth with a 4th to 7th round pick this year.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, The Lock said:

As much as I love having lots of D draft picks, I recognize that we have a lot to sort out. I guess it starts with just how good is Hughes? Is he a huge improvement to our offensive game? In a brief audition last year it looked good. Is Tryamkin coming back and how much has he improved over the past couple of years? Is Juolevi as good as his draft position promised? Can Sautner and Brisebois rise to solid five or six? Will Rathbone or Woo be a player for us in 2020? Is Rafferty as good as he looked in the last half of his second game? Will Teves or Elliot develop enough to be available in a year or two?

We do have good quality in depth at goal.

We are decent but not deep at centre. In the pipeline - only Madden- if we consider Gaudette as legit - something still to be proven

We are desperate on the wings and have a lot of clutter of marginal players at the NHL level - Eriksson, Granlund, Goldobin, Motte, Spooner, and gimpy players in Sutter and Baertschi. And even a couple of question marks - how much development is left in Virtanen and Leivo? We don’t have much knocking on the door on the farm - McEwan, Jasek, and then it drops off steeply down to Lind and Gadjovich. We only have Lockwood after that - before this draft. So yeah, drafting a slew of wingers, a couple of whom might be centres?, was a good idea.

I really like our top three picks - especially Podkolzin - yeah we have to wait, but he is going to be a handful when he gets here in a couple of years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

As much as I love having lots of D draft picks, I recognize that we have a lot to sort out. I guess it starts with just how good is Hughes? Is he a huge improvement to our offensive game? In a brief audition last year it looked good. Is Tryamkin coming back and how much has he improved over the past couple of years? Is Juolevi as good as his draft position promised? Can Sautner and Brisebois rise to solid five or six? Will Rathbone or Woo be a player for us in 2020? Is Rafferty as good as he looked in the last half of his second game? Will Teves or Elliot develop enough to be available in a year or two?

We do have good quality in depth at goal.

We are decent but not deep at centre. In the pipeline - only Madden- if we consider Gaudette as legit - something still to be proven

We are desperate on the wings and have a lot of clutter of marginal players at the NHL level - Eriksson, Granlund, Goldobin, Motte, Spooner, and gimpy players in Sutter and Baertschi. And even a couple of question marks - how much development is left in Virtanen and Leivo? We don’t have much knocking on the door on the farm - McEwan, Jasek, and then it drops off steeply down to Lind and Gadjovich. We only have Lockwood after that - before this draft. So yeah, drafting a slew of wingers, a couple of whom might be centres?, was a good idea.

I really like our top three picks - especially Podkolzin - yeah we have to wait, but he is going to be a handful when he gets here in a couple of years.

I'm actually not surprised we went forward heavy this draft. I mentioned it back in the Utica Comets page I think?? Can't remember. But the gist of it was that I seen them drafting more players out of Europe that weren't bound to the CHL clause, which they could hopefully fast track them from Europe to the farm in lesser time. Case in point Hoglander, Costmar, Plasik, and Silovs...and to some degree Pod as well. Although I know he is bound by his 2 year contract right now.

I also like the fact that Hoglander and Costmar have played in the SHL, it bodes well for them and hopefully they can join the comets and help freshen up their forward ranks down there. The SHL and AHL are comparable to me, so when I see that these kids can play at that level it excites me for what they could possibly do here in the AHL. 

And to top it off we nabbed another guy heading to Northeastern to play with Madden. I'm loving this "overlapping" effect they do when it comes to drafting players. Knowing these guys will play in lower leagues and develop some repoir and chemistry together. Awesome.

Edited by Attila Umbrus

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm actually not surprised we went forward heavy this draft. I mentioned it back in the Utica Comets page I think?? Can't remember. But the gist of it was that I seen them drafting more players out of Europe that weren't bound to the CHL clause, which they could hopefully fast track them from Europe to the farm in lesser time. Case in point Hogstrom, Costmar, Plasik, and Silovs...and to some degree Pod as well. Although I know he is bound by his 2 year contract right now.

I also like the fact that Hogstrom and Costmar have played in the SHL, it bodes well for them and hopefully they can join the comets and help freshen up their forward ranks down there. The SHL and AHL are comparable to me, so when I see that these kids can play at that level it excites me for what they could possibly do here in the AHL. 

And to top it off we nabbed another guy heading to Northeastern to play with Madden. I'm loving this "overlapping" effect they do when it comes to drafting players. Knowing these guys will play in lower leagues and develop some repoir and chemistry together. Awesome.

Don\t you mean Hoglander not Hogstrom. :)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...