The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

13 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Caps locking make people look like d!ckheads.   You are better than that. 

Maybe read and comprehend it the first time then:P

You know what else makes people look like dheads? Not just admitting the other poster is right and then going after them for something like caps, grammar etc ;)

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

We barely have the cap space to do that, unless we somehow offload Loui. We have 17.8m space with AT LEAST 7m+ of that going to Boeser. 5.25 to Clarkson and 3.8 to Miller. Idk if that's the right play to make. 

It's not a full add though.  The $17mil is for 22 contracts, so we are only net adding a defenceman contract whether CMiller or Hutton or otherwise.  Boeser would replace one of those forwards already in the 22, likely Spooner, which makes the cap addition in the range of $4mil.  Even with LE on the roster we can fit all of them.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It's not a full add though.  The $17mil is for 22 contracts, so we are only net adding a defenceman contract whether CMiller or Hutton or otherwise.  Boeser would replace one of those forwards already in the 22, likely Spooner, which makes the cap addition in the range of $4mil.  Even with LE on the roster we can fit all of them.

Well honestly don't think anyone is going to take Spooner in this type of cap world. A buyout is likely in order which would have a cap hit of 1m x 2 years which imo is worthwhile.

and I think we could get some takers on Sutter (retain 1m?) and Tanev if we put some condition on the pick return. like a 2nd turns to a 3rd if he isn't eligible to play games for more than 70 games or something.

So there are some laid out options to free up space for Clarkson and Miller if we do go that route.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dillon is just another bottom pairing D. He is physical, but he is a bottom pairing D. If you disagree go read the Sharks boards.

Bingo, the right deal means if someone gives them anything for him.

5 hours ago, rekker said:

I like Myers but damn there may be two more rightys next year hitting UFA. Barrie and Larsson. Would rather have either of them over Myers to be honest. 

The only problem with that though is that there’s no guarantee that either of those players even make it to free agency. Even if it currently looks unlikely that they’re going to re-sign with their current clubs, they could always get traded before then and sign with their new club. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, YearoftheNuck said:

The only problem with that though is that there’s no guarantee that either of those players even make it to free agency. Even if it currently looks unlikely that they’re going to re-sign with their current clubs, they could always get traded before then and sign with their new club. 

Exactly this.  Unless the options are horrible you progress in the year you are in.  Myers is an upgrade and stabilizing force to our D.  Once Tryamkin is back you could pair them in select situations for lockdown mode.  Think of them both clearing the crease on the PK.

Risto, Hughes and Edler on the PP in that rough order.  Rebuild complete.

5 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Exactly this.  Unless the options are horrible you progress in the year you are in.  Myers is an upgrade and stabilizing force to our D.  Once Tryamkin is back you could pair them in select situations for lockdown mode.  Think of them both clearing the crease on the PK.

Risto, Hughes and Edler on the PP in that rough order.  Rebuild complete.

This may sound counter intuitive but I don't want both Myers and Risto. Doesn't leave a lot of room for a returning Tryamkin, Stecher or all of our prospects when you lock down that much cap, roster spots and term for 6+ and 3 years respectively.

One or the other and a short term, stop gap vet.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This is true. I wonder if we get Myers if we can have enough space for Barrie next year and if we could try to lean Seattle in taking Myers in the expansion draft in 2021 before we have to sign Pettersson and Hughes.

Let's say we get Myers this year and Barrie next year the protected dmen would likely be:
Stecher / Barrie / Juolevi

exposing just Myers, Hutton and the rest of the field in players like Biega / Brisebois and Sautner

Forward wise could get a little iffy though and they may rather go for a young forward but Seattle will need to get to a bottom limit, Myers will have term at that time so taking 6-7m in a player might allow them to pick younger cheaper assets elsewhere.

• Cheers 1

Would be amazing if we signed Myers, and then Tryamkin came back. We would have two 6'8 guys that can skate.

6 years x $6M seems like a fair starting point. Since we're his first free agency visit, it seems we have the first crack at him. 

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This may sound counter intuitive but I don't want both Myers and Risto. Doesn't leave a lot of room for a returning Tryamkin, Stecher or all of our prospects when you lock down that much cap, roster spots and term for 6+ and 3 years respectively.

Out of the two I would definitely prioritize Risto over Myers but I think both still makes sense.  As a start:

Year 1:

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers 

Joulevi Stecher

Tanev and Hutton moved.

Year 2:

Hughes Myers

Edler Ristolainen

Joulevi Tryamkin

Stecher likely moved

Year 3:

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Ristolainen

Tryamkin Woo

Edler likely not resigned.

Now if Rathbone or any other D develop faster you do a slight course correct.  Want to have a solid D for youngsters to challenge as well.

• Like 1

Some factors to consider:

- He's turning 30 next February.

- His previous contract was 5.5mil/year.

- He's good for 25-30 points/season.

His contract comparison would be similar to Edler.

Edler signed 6mil x 2 years, NMC.

Considering he's involved in the free market, he's going to achieve both length and term.

We're going to have to shell out at least 6mil-7mil.

If Benning is serious, then we're going to pay 6-7mil x 6-8 years, NMC.

I wish I was wrong, but Myers will spark lots of interest from many teams.

Benning.

Make your offer, and if he's seeking maximum term and $, then please, WALK AWAY.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Some factors to consider:

- He's turning 30 next February.

- His previous contract was 5.5mil/year.

- He's good for 25-30 points/season.

His contract comparison would be similar to Edler.

Edler signed 6mil x 2 years, NMC.

Considering he's involved in the free market, he's going to achieve both length and term.

We're going to have to shell out at least 6mil-7mil.

If Benning is serious, then we're going to pay 6-7mil x 6-8 years, NMC.

I wish I was wrong, but Myers will spark lots of interest from many teams.

Benning.

Make your offer, and if he's seeking maximum term and $, then please, WALK AWAY.

The problem is Benning showed his cards in the miller deal. Aquilini is back to meddling, and now jim has to make the playoffs. He needs to upgrade the defense or the canucks will miss the playoffs. 

That first should have been used to upgrade the defense. Whatever, spilt milk etc etc. 

Guess we will see next year at pretty much exactly the same time. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

The problem is Benning showed his cards in the miller deal. Aquilini is back to meddling, and now jim has to make the playoffs. He needs to upgrade the defense or the canucks will miss the playoffs. 

That first should have been used to upgrade the defense. Whatever, spilt milk etc etc. 

Guess we will see next year at pretty much exactly the same time. 

fans here will say you have no proof but I think you are right on the money ..     we are in a squeeze here ..  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Maybe read and comprehend it the first time then:P

You know what else makes people look like dheads? Not just admitting the other poster is right and then going after them for something like caps, grammar etc ;)

You aren’t wrong.  I’ll give you that.  

Hahaha

There are probably a couple guys still around town, and he might meet with them as well. 

But it seems fairly well known he came to town to meet with Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Tystick said:

I disagree, there's no evidence that Aquilini is meddling in anything. He's claimed otherwise, many times.

Benning's goal has always been to remain competitive, make the playoffs, and build through the draft. 

Every season, he has drafted well and made trades to help the group.

Not everything has worked out, he's not perfect, but he's remained consistent.

I don't see the Miller trade as some devastating move, it's very much a positive one for the group.

Plenty of time for JB to upgrade our defense and add through free agency.

Its not miller people have questions about. 

Its aquilini going on record saying “dark days are done”, jim sacrificing a first rounder (drafting being the managements obvious strength) to get yet another middle six player, while now probably having to double down and overpay a free agent defenseman. Those assets should have been used to upgrade the defense. 

Subsequently, the canucks have too many forwards, spooner eriksson Baertschi goldobin sutter schaller, that he needs to make room for or ship out. 

The other gms are smelling blood in the water, and the agents to those free agent defensemen are dreaming of dead presidents. 

I think the draft didnt go down near how they thought. I think plan A was to get barrie or Ristolainen. Plan B was to draft Seider. Plan C was broberg. 

Then we go all the way down to plan M for miller. 

Screams desperation to me. 

• Haha 1

I certainly don't mind us bringing him over to see what his asking price is and see how low he would go. He's a decent player at the right price. Worst case is we drive his price up to whoever actually signs him if not us.

As for Schenn, I'm fine with him testing the market. He was very recently an AHLer so he must be hoping for a one way deal or a couple years term. If someone is willing to give it to him, then good for him otherwise he should see that he might have a good thing going for him partnering with Hughes for another season.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Can plan your team around a potential return by tryamkin. Things must continue to progress, sitting and waiting for him would be a terrible idea.

• Upvote 2