The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

14 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

dipietro is a piece that is pretty redundant, I would sell high on him now, him alone will not bring back a top 6 guy

Wow. DiPietro is coveted around the league and should not be tainted for the 7 goal performance at 19 yo against one of the best regular season teams of the last decade. If you think his value is tarnished at all, and that that is why you think the package nets Zucker and a 3rd, I just want to say that you're completely off-base. The goaltending position will never be redundant. Out of 31 teams, almost half of them are desperately searching for DiPietro's potential. Whether or not he will translate will only be discovered in due time, but to give up this quick would be absolutely foolish. DiPietro today nets us much more than Zucker in a package like that, and if he doesn't, we should not bite nor offer.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

All of this giddiness and I'm wondering how many trade proposals Myers will be a part of next off-season.  :lol:

You just know it's gonna happen unless he has a great year.

no one is immune. We had Petey trade proposals :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Sounds like 32 YO Stralman just went for 3x5+ ... D wasn’t going to be cheap today.

Unfortunate he's gone (was still hoping for a Tanev trade/Stralman signing) but that's about the ballpark I was expecting.

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Unfortunate he's gone (was still hoping for a Tanev trade/Stralman signing) but that's about the ballpark I was expecting.

what? Hughes, Myers, Benn isn't enough change for you?? sheesh, some people.... 

• Upvote 1

If it is Meyers at 5 years and 6 million, great job JB.  Compared to the 7x7 rumored, this is perfect.  He is the 5th top FA on tsn board. On July 1st people usually way overpay. RHD is the toughest thing to find it seems so they are worth a bit more.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what? Hughes, Myers, Benn isn't enough change for you?? sheesh, some people.... 

Tanev is gone at some point this season regardless. Rip the bandaid of while he's not wearing a cast IMO.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

A defenseman that puts up points doesn't mean they are a good defenseman and that they'll help your team out. Burns not winning the Norris is a prime example.

Jake Gardiner is also another example. Jake Gardiner had 105 giveaways in the 2017-2018 season, though had his best offensive output of 52 points. Yes those that put up more offense will likely have a lot of giveaways, but that's too much of a discrepancy. Solid indicator of a deficient defensive player, and certainly many people have him as one of the worst defensive players in the UFA market.

A team that needs help in scoring will benefit with a Gardiner player. A team that needs help stopping pucks going past their net will want defensive oriented defenders. 

We are a team that needs both. This is why IMO, we are in a predicament with Myers. He's not really improving this team that much defensively and although he's going to help us out offensively more than the likes of Pouliot, Gudbranson, Del Zotto, he's not going to improve our offensive enough to where it'll take us to the next level, if you get what I'm trying to say.

You're making more sense as your moving away from basing your argument on giveaways.

Also it's known the Canucks lack in d scoring and points. Myers could very well have been brought in for his offense alone, which it is known he plays a better game when he's being relied on for offence

1 minute ago, highwayman3 said:

Not super happy with this signing.  Myers is a #4 who is best suited to a heavily sheltered, bottom pairing role.  Don't really see the fit, would've been far better to wait year and try to sign Barrie a UFA imo.

what if Barrie never becomes available? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, highwayman3 said:

That's a legitimate possibility, but he is rumoured to want to come home and play here.  Even if he doesn't, I just don't care for this player or this contract.  

well, thats what twitter is for :P 

He's overpaid by a million or so, but we also didn't need to trade assets. The right side got much better.