The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ben Hutton to become UFA

1 hour ago, danjr said:

Two years ago this would not have been a surprise given the way he played.

Last year I think he really elevated his game, especially after so many guys went down with injuries.
Can we actually let him walk away when we are screaming for defence of any type of caliber?

Am I missing something here?

Are they trying to make room for a couple of big D signings?

Hes not worth 4 and a half mil

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

It's another example of how many Canuck fans overrate their players. Benning should do this, Benning should do that. JB has few options to trade and not many options to make trades with outside the core. 

Overrate?  All I said is that Hutton had value.  If Hutton didn't have value to be traded last year, that means he should have no value as a FA this offseason right?  Let's see what he gets.  

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

So far the only defense of Benning is that we have Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser to look forward to and guess what: all of them are the result of us being ass and drafting high.

That's not a plan, that's just being ass.

No.  There was a plan.  Trade draft picks for 20something year olds and sign some expensive FA's and keep competing while you improve your drafting.  Luckily, that plan failed as bad as it possibly could have (worst team in the league over 3 seasons).  It resulted in Petey, Hughes and having a high pick in every round past the 1st one too.  

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Overrate?  All I said is that Hutton had value.  If Hutton didn't have value to be traded last year, that means he should have no value as a FA this offseason right?  Let's see what he gets.  

Wasn't directed at you more a general comment. But since you brought it up Hutton may have worth as a fee acquisition, just not much in trade value. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

If the Canucks can bring him back on a Stetcher-type deal I think they should. 

I honestly don't think management would mind bringing him back... just not at the value he would probably have gotten through arb.

Hutton for 2-2.5 sounds just fine to me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Wasn't directed at you more a general comment. But since you brought it up Hutton may have worth as a fee acquisition, just not much in trade value. 

So a D man on a low cap hit, having a decent season, on an expiring contract has no value at the trade deadline in the NHL now?  OK.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think Hutton is a good option for a bottom pair.  He’s not naturally aggressive or physical.  We need a bottom pair that can play heavier than Hutton does.  I’d much rather have Luke Schenn back. 

I disagree.  In the old NHL you had big physical goons on your 3rd pairing because it was a slow league and there wasn't enough talent to have talented guys on your 3rd pairing.  IMO In today's NHL it's ok if you're not physical as long as you can skate and pass. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

This is how I see our defense right now ranked (level of defenseman in parentheses):

Edler (2)

Tanev (3)

Stecher (4)

Hughes (2-5)

Hutton (4-5)

Biega (6-8)

Sautner (7-8)

Rafferty (7-8)

Teves (8)

Brisebois (8)

Basically, no top level defensemen and a plethora of bottom level defensemen. If we don't re-sign Hutton (for a reasonable deal, of course), we'll need some help on the bottom pairing, as I'm not sure Biega is fit for a permanent role, despite his dramatic offensive improvement last year.

Of course, a big signing of a top 4 guy will push several guys down, so at that point, Hutton would be our No. 6, which is pretty good.

Biega>Hutton all day. More physical, faster, works harder, and chips in some offense.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, ButterBean said:

Biega>Hutton all day. More physical, faster, works harder, and chips in some offense.    

Biega was very underrated offensively last year IMO, but I think his defensive play was exposed last year with some more playing time. I think Hutton's defensive game is a bit stronger. However, I can't argue that Hutton is a better offensive player than Biega based on last year and wouldn't be shocked if Biega is the better player overall next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Not saying Hutton is trash. He still has potential but he is a player that you can find in free agency quite easily or on waivers. Teams will ususally wait to get a player of this talent level for free and not give up assets. What by chance do you think Hutton was worth last deadline? Maybe he was shopped and no one wanted him. I agree with a previous poster in that I see Sautner as being a better player soon if not already. 

• Upvote 1