The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tyler Motte

33 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they aren't watching the game.

You may be watching, but not necessarily understanding what's going on.  Do you know his role?

23 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If he was having that much of an impact it'd show in the stats, both traditional and underlying. IMO it's easy to be tricked by a hustler.

You do understand that his job is not scoring, and that analytics does not properly represent nor quantify the valuations of defensive and role players?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, tas said:

clearly people here have trouble recognizing what a tongue looks like when it's planted firmly in a cheek. 

I couldn't imagine you were serious. but couldn't figure out the joke so stayed quiet.  Well done :) 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

You may be watching, but not necessarily understanding what's going on.  Do you know his role?

Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they don't understand, either. :P

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You do understand that his job is not scoring

Well, every player's job should be scoring. But if you're not going to score that much, you need to be better defensively than Motte is.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

and that analytics does not properly represent nor quantify the valuations of defensive and role players?

There are lots of different things out there that quantify defensive performance. Just the matter of you wanting to put any credence in them or not.

Another thing I like about Motte is he stole his job last year from someone and gave the Canucks no choice but to put him on the opening roster. To those of us who have played the game we know the value of Energizer Bunnies like Motte. They can lift a team in a shift or lift a players spirit just by watching his compete. Every team needs players like this and I'm glad he's re signed. 

• Upvote 3

He has a unique skill set and good teams, even great teams, have value players in a bottom six role just like this guy. 

He has a little Kirk Maltby / Chris Draper thing going (I still think of those two as one player). 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah I don't know why this is overlooked, as the cap hit only includes your current roster.  Right now it's counting 13 forwards and 10D.  I guess Capfriendly doesn't want to presume who makes it, but the roster number has to be looked at before determining actual capspace available.

I believe that the site places players based on where they were at the time of a trade or at the end of the previous season (for UFA signings). Fantenberg was with the Flames so he is shown as being on the Canucks. Graovac was in the AHL so the site shows him being in Utica. I suppose it's a sorting issue for their program.

This does make working out the cap a bit of a challenge (for us). 

regards,  G.

I was hoping for a multi-year deal but overall I'm glad he's back on the team. The guy basically had 10 goals while playing 4th line minutes and 72% defensive zone starts. I think he's perfect for Beagle's wing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldnews said:

At least he'll still be an RFA.

Probably get a better deal next time.

After I posted that I considered the fact maybe he only wanted to sign one year. This could be a 'show me' deal. Now he can show he is worth more $ and more term.

2 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

If Gaudette gets sent down.. that can only mean one thing: still stuck with Sutter!! Ohhhhhhhhhh crap!

No - it doesnt mean that.  It would mean he did not earn a spot.

He has a better chance competing for a winger role than he does at center. 
He's not ready to take a Sutter or Beagle role.

But he could play on a wing - in either a more offensive role, or apprentice winger on one of those guys lines.

However, the competition for a bottom six winger spot will be tight.

Even with Granlund gone - Virtanen, Motte, Leivo, Roussel (when healthy), Schalller, and potentially LE could all be competing for four spots.

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

After I posted that I considered the fact maybe he only wanted to sign one year. This could be a 'show me' deal. Now he can show he is worth more $ and more term.

True -  could also be that the team also prefered him to take a one year deal with slightly less cap, and then re-up longer term next year.    It gives them a bit more cap, and time to create space moving out LE, Schaller expires, one or both of Goldy or Baer might not be here...

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

At least he'll still be an RFA.

Probably get a better deal next time.

I see a multiple deal next contract. He played nearly a full season and remained consistently effective. If he delivers another solid season I would be shocked to not see a multi year contract.  He has the potential to become elite as a penalty killer. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

Good a solid bottom six and at bottom six money.

leaves 7.7 for boeser leivo Rafferty goldobin Teves. 

No, it doesn't.

7.7 is a bogus calculation from Capfriendly - that includes all signed D - 10 of them, including Sautner, Brisebois and Fantenberg - nnd it includes 13 forwards already, 2 of whom will have to make way for Boeser and Leivo,, with Goldobin on the edge competing for a spot.

In other words - add about 4 million of cap space to account for the players already  included in that calculation that will not be on the roster.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Found the problem.

He's probably one of the same guys who was moaning about the Beagle contract as well.  Some people may don't appreciate the guys who excel at the things besides scoring that help teams win.  I'll take the eye test over analytics any day.  

Analytics have taken a lot of the enjoyment of a hockey debate away for me.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1