The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Tyler Motte

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

If this was the old school NHL then I'd agree with you.

However, times have changed over the past 20 years and I don't think size has anything to do with what's the perfect 4th liner anymore. It's the same with the prototypical stay at home defensemen being ditched for more mobile defensemen. It's all about mobility and the willingness to grind now more than it is size.

As far as Motte goes, I'm not going to say he's perfect, but there are a lot  6 foot 5 players aren't perfect 4th line players either.

Hey, I mean, I think I’m funny at least. I was just having some fun, but hurt some small people’s feeling I guess. Everybody like Motte. I think that’s pretty much a given. 

Perfect.

I don’t disagree with any of your post, but be honest, if Brad Marchand is heading into the boards with the puck, do you want the diminutive Motte chasing after him or a big boy, all things being equal?

I’m cheering for a horrific ending, not for a good effort. 5’ f-all will never be my preference for a checking winger, which was the point. Wing span alone is enough reason to agree, in principle, without referencing the size of the fight in the dog and other stuff. 

I wonder how far this new-aged 5’10 Dman trend-pendulum will swing before it comes back with a vengeance?

I also wonder if the messaging and branding of the game in this direction has much to do with increasing liability of physical risk. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Stop it.

Get some help.

If he was “the perfect 4th line player” he’d be 6’5, fast and played the same brand. 

Not 5 foot 10 and 192 lbs at weigh-in... in September, not April. 

The creed-bar of low expectations is a cult phenomenon here. 

Having got that ditty out there, awesome, good signing. Glad to have him back and on a 2-way to boot. 

yeah cause 6'5 speedy 4th liners are out there doing work ufa or on the market, he is a good a good signing, honestly dont no if your being sarcastic or not. with that post.

• Wat 1

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good contract for a hard working guy.

NHL contracts are weird. Schaller gets 1.9 million last year and showed nothing.

Motte is a pitbull and never takes a shift off and gets 900k.  Great value for this contract.

Absolutely.  Probably the most disproportionate to actual production business I can think of other then government work.  In the construction world guys more or less make what they produce and guys get paid accordingly.  Maybe the bottom labour makes 30-40% less then the top guys in a crew but that’s it.   In the NHL guys make up to 25 times more then the bottom guys...just frigged.  Or 4%.   It is what it is but it certainly isn’t a fair system.   Said it before but I think the NHLPA needs to look hard in the mirror and realize that the power in the group vote wise is the group that is getting boned the most to make up for the upper class elites lavish lifestyles.  Shortened careers and cheaper contracts are the result of blue chip guys overpaid UFA contracts, and now the elite are getting second contracts that they used to have to wait for as RFAs.   Love to be a fly on the wall during the next CBA, but in the NHLPAs side mostly.   All it would take is some backbone by a few vets that know their days are limited to get the majority working towards a solution.  And RFA cap would go a long ways towards this.  Maybe offer up that idea and make the max term five years which would keep it somewhat fair for stars as they would get to free agency and their money deals faster.   I’d set it at 8 million.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Hey, I mean, I think I’m funny at least. I was just having some fun, but hurt some small people’s feeling I guess. Everybody like Motte. I think that’s pretty much a given. 

Perfect.

I don’t disagree with any of your post, but be honest, if Brad Marchand is heading into the boards with the puck, do you want the diminutive Motte chasing after him or a big boy, all things being equal?

I’m cheering for a horrific ending, not for a good effort. 5’ f-all will never be my preference for a checking winger, which was the point. Wing span alone is enough reason to agree, in principle, without referencing the size of the fight in the dog and other stuff. 

I wonder how far this new-aged 5’10 Dman trend-pendulum will swing before it comes back with a vengeance?

I also wonder if the messaging and branding of the game in this direction has much to do with increasing liability of physical risk. 

All it will take is a few injuries and more cups being won by teams like WSH and St. Louis for the trend to come to a grinding halt.  There is always room for elite skill no matter the size but you can’t make a lineup out of smurfs either.  A balance is fine....and it’s hard to see one of these smaller elite D’s ever winning a Norris, there’s some things they simply can’t do as well as their bigger brethren, defensively.   Teams always follow recent winners, it’s possible the trend has peaked already.  I do like how fast the game is now, but the flip side is when guys do make contact it can be really devastating.  Injuries keep piling up..blocking shots no matter what doesn’t help either, especially low percentage ones the goalies going to stop every time anyways .wonder when they will wise up?

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i like motte’s moxy. a heart and soul type player. certainly, there is still room for guys like that in the nhl. 

Absolutely.  Energy guys are great momentum changers, especially ones that chip in offensively and their value goes up come playoff time...when hitting goes up and the whistle’s are put away..

6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah cause 6'5 speedy 4th liners are out there doing work ufa or on the market, he is a good a good signing, honestly dont no if your being sarcastic or not. with that post.

Not the point, was it.

Perfect means, well, perfect,

Last time I define words in a fan site. 

10 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Perfect.

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I noticed a pretty significant trend in the NHL though last year especially.

Pettersson getting wrestled down behind the net without any retaliation wasn't exactly uncommon around the league. The same thing happened with McDavid and others. I think what's happening nowadays is that coaches are more encouraging teams to retaliate through winning instead of through fights. I don't know if that's what the coaches are actually trying to do or not, but it sure seemed like it.

That being said, maybe it was also because there was a lack of sandpaper on the teams affected, but given how many times it seemed to happen over the season, I find it harder and harder to believe that. Hopefully, we don't have to find this out next season, sandpaper or not.

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I can totally understand where you are coming from. I noticed a pretty significant trend in the NHL though last year especially.

Pettersson getting wrestled down behind the net without any retaliation wasn't exactly uncommon around the league. The same thing happened with McDavid and others. I think what's happening nowadays is that coaches are more encouraging teams to retaliate through winning instead of through fights. I don't know if that's what the coaches are actually trying to do or not, but it sure seemed like it.

That being said, maybe it was also because there was a lack of sandpaper on the teams affected, but given how many times it seemed to happen over the season, I find it harder and harder to believe that. Hopefully, we don't have to find this out next season, sandpaper or not.

Part of the problem now is guys know they can get away with it.  Not hard to take a team out by targeting a star.  Glad SJ scored their way into another series because of yet another head shot even if it wasn’t warranted.  Accidentally on purpose is the new game, and the players know they can get away with it.  Hope Seattle decides to goon it up, or another team, just to start the arms race up again.  Miss hockey with enforcers. Not the staged crap but the actual guys that could play, intimidate and fight.  Funny how they leave and injuries go way up....but isn’t that what all the old gaurd has being proclaiming for years? Yes it is.    

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

The same thing happened with McDavid and others.

That being said, maybe it was also because there was a lack of sandpaper on the teams affected

The one thing EDM hasn't lacked the last couple years is 'sandpaper'. Yet McD still gets mugged on occasion. CDC should note that the next time someone gets a little too frisky with our prized Swedish stallion.

42 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I hope Motte doesn't read CDC.  He might take offense at his thread not being pinned, especially given Graovac, McIntyre, and Fantenberg threads that were.

:P

I've already taken offense!   @-Vintage Canuck- 

Edited by Guest

Love this resigning. Lead our team in hits despite only getting 4th line minutes. Got 9 goals last year--two shorthanded--which is pretty good. 
The Vanek trade is looking good for us right now.

50 minutes ago, BCNate said:

He played well last year and deserves the 1 way deal.   I still think he has a ton of untapped potential offensively.

I could definitely see him being the alex burrows type of grinding role player on an offensive line. 

• Like 1