The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Loui Erickson trade

I really feel Montreal might be a decent fit for Loui. 

Im proposing: 

Van: Alzner 

Mon: Loui + mid range prospect or pick. 

You could argue alzner has lower value than loui. Loui still nearly put up 30 points. Alzner is a bc boy in a tough spot of his career, maybe he gets re-inspired being within his hometown organization. 

We save money and they get a more useful player for some additional money, but shed Alzner. 

5 hours ago, KKnight said:

I really feel Montreal might be a decent fit for Loui. 

Im proposing: 

Van: Alzner 

Mon: Loui + mid range prospect or pick. 

You could argue alzner has lower value than loui. Loui still nearly put up 30 points. Alzner is a bc boy in a tough spot of his career, maybe he gets re-inspired being within his hometown organization. 

We save money and they get a more useful player for some additional money, but shed Alzner. 

The thing is. Where does Eriksson fit into Montreal’s lineup? Certainly not the top 6. I’m not even sure he’d be top 9. Montreal is strong on left wing. (Drouin , Tatar, Byron, Lehkonen). Less so on the right.

Bergevin is in record saying you can never have too many defencemen. I think they’re content to have him sitting in the minors as insurance against injuries.  $3.5m against the cap with him in the minors is better than $6m against the cap for a 4th line player. 

Edited by qwijibo

For those that haven’t read the article NHL.com reports LE and Benning finally talked, two months after the remarks were made.   Both sides are looking for a  solution which could include a trade, but it would have to be for another player on a bad contract coming back the other way so the OPs and several other equally lopsided deals just won’t be happening.  They have/are looking at every team to see what could be done...Benning also said he thinks he’s got value for us as a two-way forward and PKer etc (which of course he’s going to say), I also don’t think he’d take on a worse contract given our cap space is tight so 6 million cap hit is about or less would have to be coming back, or take on a contract with longer term.   As it sits now he’s buried even further in the depth chart so don’t see how LE is going to get out of this without playing the best hockey he has since coming here.   Really don’t think they will find any takers ... it’s possible (Lucic is the most realistic proposal so far, but we’d be getting the worse contract and the worse player other then tougher).   

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

For those that haven’t read the article NHL.com reports LE and Benning finally talked, two months after the remarks were made.   Both sides are looking for a  solution which could include a trade, but it would have to be for another player on a bad contract coming back the other way so the OPs and several other equally lopsided deals just won’t be happening.  They have/are looking at every team to see what could be done...Benning also said he thinks he’s got value for us as a two-way forward and PKer etc (which of course he’s going to say), I also don’t think he’d take on a worse contract given our cap space is tight so 6 million cap hit is about or less would have to be coming back, or take on a contract with longer term.   As it sits now he’s buried even further in the depth chart so don’t see how LE is going to get out of this without playing the best hockey he has since coming here.   Really don’t think they will find any takers ... it’s possible (Lucic is the most realistic proposal so far, but we’d be getting the worse contract and the worse player other then tougher).   

Someone should get loui to check out this forum. Might persuade him to terminate his contract! ::D

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

I really see three alternatives, you’ve listed or implied two.

1. He stays and plays well, ups his value and someone in need of depth says ok once all teams know their cap situations. Any team who’s not trying to reach the cap floor will wait till their roster is set to make a deal for a guy with a 6 mil cap hit. 

2. A team that needs to hit the cap floor (ie Ottawa) and is happy to pay someone 3 mil to get 6 mil of cap hit. 

3. Take back equally bad cap hit but that doesn’t help us and in that case you may as well keep him as a depth guy, PKer, utility player. 

Realistically this is a cap dump and the only teams that have big cap space are:

Ottawa

New Jersey (will soon have big ELCs to replace)

Columbus

Philadelphia (not counting them because they've got a lot of new big contracts to dish out)

Colorado

Winnipeg

LA

Based on those teams, I'm sure we could just throw him to one of the many teams who need a 3rd or 4th liner for a late round pick. He still does have some value and isn't purely negative (ie. Cost us a pick and only get "future considerations"), I honestly think he might fetch us a 4th rounder.

New Jersey have cap space of almost $20m.

They have 11 forwards under contract and will likely add RFA Zacha to make it 12.

They have two plugs in Rooney and Hayden that are taking up roster spots and costing salary while contributing very little.

Ideally they could replace them with a bottom 6 veteran with strong PK skills, and a dynamic 2LW to play with Hischier.

To NJD:

Eriksson (25% retained and after 2019 signing bonus)

Baertschi (after 2019 signing bonus)

4th round 2020 pick

To VAN:

Rooney 

Hayden

Hall - Hughes - Palmieri

Baer - Hischier - Simmonds

Eriksson - Zajac - Coleman

Wood - Zacha - Anderson 

This adds $6.4m to NJD cap but a net salary cost of only $3m in 2019. Then $5.4m in 2020. In 2021 when Baer contract ends cap hit drops to $4.5m with only $3m in salary. Most importantly it improves their roster significantly.

VAN can waive or buyout Hayden + Rooney bringing total cap savings to about $7.5m.

Edited by BigTramFan

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

New Jersey have cap space of almost $20m.

They have 11 forwards under contract and will likely add RFA Zacha to make it 12.

They have two plugs in Rooney and Hayden that are taking up roster spots and costing salary while contributing very little.

Ideally they could replace them with a bottom 6 veteran with strong PK skills, and a dynamic 2LW to play with Hischier.

To NJD:

Eriksson (25% retained and after 2019 signing bonus)

Baertschi (after 2019 signing bonus)

4th round 2020 pick

To VAN:

Rooney 

Hayden

Hall - Hughes - Palmieri

Baer - Hischier - Simmonds

Eriksson - Zajac - Coleman

Wood - Zacha - Anderson 

This adds $6.4m to NJD cap but a net salary cost of only $3m in 2019. Then $5.4m in 2020. In 2021 when Baer contract ends cap hit drops to $4.5m with only $3m in salary. Most importantly it improves their roster significantly.

VAN can waive or buyout Hayden + Rooney bringing total cap savings to about $7.5m.

Per Jimmy Murphy NJD is talking with Boston about David Backes.  6M cap hit for 2 years and an average salary of 2.5M.  They are asking for a 1st round pick.

NJD will need the cap space in a year - Hischier and a few others like Vatanen, Blackwood contracts are up and they will do all their possible to keep Taylor Hall.   The NY Post even predicts a contract of over 12M for Hall.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

Canucks are better off NOT moving Eriksson this season:

Unless of course, they can move Eriksson without retention to another team, and not have to throw in a sweetener.  Unfortunately, I don’t think this will be possible.    Obviously, it wouldn’t be very good asset management if we moved Eriksson with a “sweetener” like Virtanen or Gaudette.

So here is what I suggest:

1) Hold onto Eriksson for this season and keep him on the main roster.  Give him a shot to increase his value.   Eriksson will likely be motivated AF as well since a failure to play with fire this year could likely make him Utica bound next season.

2)  Move Eriksson NEXT season after July 1st 2020.  Eriksson will still be difficult to move, but it will be a much easier task for the following reasons:   A). He will only be owed 5 million dollars in real money after this season. B-). He will only have two years left on his contract.

3) Move Baertschi this season:  Move Baertschi to the Devils for a 5th round pick.   The Devils are in the market for a LW’er if I understand correctly.  They want someone to rub balls so to speak with Hischier.   

4) Schaller to Ottawa for a 7th.   

End result = 5.2ish million cleared cap.   

46 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

1) Hold onto Eriksson for this season and keep him on the main roster.  Give him a shot to increase his value.   

He's had three full seasons to prove his value and has done squat.

What, realistically,  will motivate him any more this season than previously? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

He's had three full seasons to prove his value and has done squat.

What, realistically,  will motivate him any more this season than previously? 

True.

The only real difference in those other three seasons is that he likely didn’t feel much pressure (ie our team sucked and he couldn’t fathom the idea of him being sent down or even risk losing an NHL job).   He won’t have that same peace of mind this year however.   Our team is starting to get slightly competitive and we’d have absolutely no qualms or hesitations in scratching him or sending him down.   Maybe I’m wrong, but I think we could definitely see a more desperate Loui Eriksson this season.

If Eriksson plays well, he could increase his value and he could resume his career on another NHL club.   LE has personal incentive here.

To Dallas
Eriksson @ 50% retained
2nd round pick
4th round pick

To Vancouver
Comeau
3rd round pick 

- With third line expectations at 3 million per year he could be welcomed back with open arms (not too unlike how Linden was when we traded for him)
- Canucks get rid of the third year of Eriksson's contract 

- The reason this deal is expensive is because Comeau's contract is still relatively cheap and only for two years 

---
To Ottawa
Eriksson
6th round pick 

To Vancouver
Ryan $2.25M Retained

- Ottawa saves $5.25M cash
- Van saves 1 million per year cap space
- Change of scenery (same length contracts)

---
To Minnesota
Loui Eriksson
2nd round pick 

4th round pick

To Vancouver
Victor Rask
3rd round pick 

- Minnesota saves $3M cash
- Van saves $2M / year cap space
- Minnesota gets the more productive player, but Victor Rask is still young at 26 and could turn things around 
- Opens up Vancouver moving Sutter 
---

To Columbus
Loui Eriksson 
Brandon Sutter @50% retained
2nd round pick

To Vancouver
Alexander Wennberg

- Wennberg is earning 4.9M and came off of a two goal season
- In three years Canucks save $1.1M and likely have a useful player on the roster in Wennberg
- Wennberg's contract runs for four seasons - that fourth season is when Seth Jones becomes a free agent (Eriksson and Sutter off the books)

Edited by canucklehead44

15 hours ago, mll said:

Per Jimmy Murphy NJD is talking with Boston about David Backes.  6M cap hit for 2 years and an average salary of 2.5M.  They are asking for a 1st round pick.

NJD will need the cap space in a year - Hischier and a few others like Vatanen, Blackwood contracts are up and they will do all their possible to keep Taylor Hall.   The NY Post even predicts a contract of over 12M for Hall.  

All very good points. But...

NJD could make the proposed deal and improve their roster now.

And even if they take on Eriksson and Baer they are projected to have about $30m in cap space next season to resign Hall, Hischier, Vatanen and Blackwood.

I also think that improving their roster PRIOR to resigning Hall will help to convince him to stay with NJD when he reaches free agency.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which is exactly why Loui either retires, or suffers the embarrassment of playing in the minors.  He retires.  

I think he’d seriously consider retirement after July 1st 2020 (31 of 36 million will have been paid to him).   I don’t see it happening this year however.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I think he’d seriously consider retirement after July 1st 2020 (31 of 36 million will have been paid to him).   I don’t see it happening this year however.

I guess it depends on how much his reputation is worth to him.  He’s made a lot of money.  I don’t see Loui riding buses in the AHL.  He’ll retire before being waived.