The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Justin Bailey

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's plenty of those to make things plenty uncomfortable for both management and player.

Out of proportion or otherwise, he was already un-liked here for his lack of production vs salary. The more sensible among us would rightly point out that yes, while the contract is certainly poor, at least he's sound defensively, can PK, etc. Hence the 'Little Things' meme around him. 

But his comments in the media were the proverbial straw. Can't see them bringing back an already un-liked player who then 'whined'. Rightly or wrongly. Our garbage media and the more fanatic element of the fan base will ensure it. His agents comments about it perhaps being better for all parties if there was a change of scenery have only fueled it further.

It's a P.R. nightmare waiting to happen. And it's not like his play has warranted management keeping him over the impending P.R. nightmare. The roster doesn't need him.

IMO, he's done here and it's best for all involved.

If we can certainly move him without much damage to our team, then I'm not opposed to it. But I don't think we as fans/supporters need to make the situation worse for the team. Why force the drama? Leave that to the garbage media.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

If we can certainly move him without much damage to our team, then I'm not opposed to it. But I don't think we as fans/supporters need to make the situation worse for the team. Why force the drama? Leave that to the garbage media.

The 'drama's' going to happen regardless, fed by that media. You or I aren't going to stop the inevitable. You think getting booed as much as Kesler or Marchand at EVERY home game will be good for anyone? He's DONE here.

By all means if Benning/Eriksson's agent can come up with a deal that doesn't force Benning to give up major futures...by all means that's the preferable route for both player and team. But failing that...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The 'drama's' going to happen regardless, fed by that media. You or I aren't going to stop the inevitable. You think getting booed as much as Kesler or Marchand at EVERY home game will be good for anyone? He's DONE here.

By all means if Benning/Eriksson's agent can come up with a deal that doesn't force Benning to give up major futures...by all means that's the preferable route for both player and team. But failing that...

This is where I disagree. It doesn't have to happen and doesn't need to happen. I personally cannot stop anything from happening, but I'm going to continue to reiterate what has actually happened rather than blowing things out of proportion unnecessarily which negatively affects the team.

• Upvote 2

He's already (supposedly according to the local media) moved his family to Dallas, so I'm thinking that Eriksson has made a decision ahead of Benning attempting to speak with him. He's not a Canuck by puck drop this fall.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is where I disagree. It doesn't have to happen and doesn't need to happen. I personally cannot stop anything from happening, but I'm going to continue to reiterate what has actually happened rather than blowing things out of proportion unnecessarily which negatively affects the team.

Sure, your prerogative.

I think that's just denial of the reality of the situation though. There was already a pretty sizable portion of the fan base/media who wanted him gone, with at least some hostility/animosity. His comments and subsequent agent comments haven't helped that. That everyone can see we can ice a perfectly competent, even improved, roster over last year without him on it isn't helping it either.

People will all to vocally voice their displeasure if the team attempts to round hole that square peg. I think that's a situation best avoided, not rubbed in people's faces. The team doesn't need the distraction.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure, your prerogative.

I think that's just denial of the reality of the situation though. There was already a pretty sizable portion of the fan base/media who wanted him gone, with at least some hostility/animosity. His comments and subsequent agent comments haven't helped that. That everyone can see we can ice a perfectly competent, even improved, roster over last year without him on it isn't helping it either.

People will all to vocally voice their displeasure if the team attempts to round hole that square peg. I think that's a situation best avoided, not rubbed in people's faces. The team doesn't need the distraction.

This is exactly the reason why this is going where it is. If BB or EP said the exact same thing, I'm sure people will see it in a similar way as what I've set forth (or blamed someone else rather than the player eg the coach) because they will actually support the player. So these comments have just spurred the people that have wanted him gone already which doesn't mean it's how it's being portrayed. No one is pointing out that LE has said he's still having fun playing and he will continue to "fight on", but only remember whatever negative they can pinpoint. The agent may have made a point that he's open to being moved as he does have a full NTC, perhaps to let other teams know if they're interested, but has reiterated that he's not demanding a move. He didn't answer his calls? He's not obliged to and Benning has been in touch with his agent. He supposedly moved his family? We've heard stories of players buying homes in certain places but it never really happened. Why would Eriksson move his family back to Dallas not knowing where he may even end up? Maybe they just so happen to have a summer home there, who knows?

Who knows what will happen in the next couple months. Perhaps he will be traded or waived and sent to the AHL and that's fine too, I'll support that. I just don't think we need to continue dragging LE through the mud with over-dramatization and certainly don't believe in booing a player in a Canuck uniform unless for far worse circumstances. I will laugh and be ashamed if he does indeed get booed at this point unless we do hear more real facts that suggest he's as bad as people are seemingly making him out to be. If we don't want the distraction, then why magnify it even more only to make it even worse for everyone involved? I didn't hear anyone boo Gagner when he was called back up to the Canucks after he made some comments about management. I trust Benning and crew are doing what they can at this point to do what's best for the team and if starting him on the Canucks this year is what they decide, then so be it.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2019 at 2:13 PM, iceman64 said:

That's depends on who JT or Ferland is deployed with.. I'd say JT has a bit more skill and Ferland is a bit tougher as in fighting wise.. 

It looks like you got your wish. lol

29 minutes ago, The Lock said:

It looks like you got your wish. lol

I know right? My eyes lit up when i saw that! I thought it was just wishful thinking and it'd NEVER happen.. 

Easily in the playoff's now but wishing it'd happened years ago with the sedin punching bags.. ok ratface marchand, let's see you try and do your $&!#t now! 

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/former-sabres-prospect-justin-bailey-happy-to-land-with-canucks/

Bailey7.jpgThe Sabres traded Justin Bailey last season. ©2019, Hickling Images

Former Sabres prospect Justin Bailey happy to land with Canucks

Justin Bailey figured he fit in the Flyers’ plans. After arriving via a trade from the Buffalo Sabres organization in January, the Williamsville native shuttled between Philadelphia and the minors, playing 11 NHL games.

“Chuck Fletcher just traded for me in January,” Bailey told the Times Herald. “I got my games, I thought I showcased myself to the best of my ability with the opportunity that was given to me.”

But Fletcher, who took over as general manager in December, has kept putting his mark on the Flyers this offseason. While he liked Bailey, he wanted to be fair to him.

So last month, Fletcher passed on giving Bailey a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, granting him free agency.

“He was almost doing me a solid by not qualifying me,” said Bailey, who signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday.

The way Fletcher, a veteran GM, handled the situation impressed Bailey.

“He said it wouldn’t be fair to qualify me when it didn’t look great for next season,” he said of his earning a spot in Philadelphia. “There was an outside chance that I’d be making the Flyers, but the trades they made, he liked the group that they were going with.

“So he did a good thing by giving me some time before July 1 to speak to other teams. My agents and I kind of looked around, heard from Vancouver.”

Bailey, 24, said he chose the Canucks organization because they’re looking for young, speedy players.

“I thought the opportunity was right there,”the former second-round pick said.

Bailey’s new deal will pay him $700,000 in the NHL and $165,000 in the AHL, according to capfriendly.com. Last season, he earned $70,000 in the minors.

If Bailey returns to the AHL, he would play for the Utica Comets, a team he knows well from the four seasons he spent with the Rochester Americans.

Bailey was one of Buffalo’s top prospects a few years ago. He scored 20 or more goals twice with the Amerks and was an AHL All-Star in 2016-17.

He played 52 games with the Sabres over his first three seasons. But he cleared waivers last year and was a healthy scratch with Rochester in October, strong signs his time in the organization would be ending.

On Jan. 17, the Sabres dealt him to the Flyers for forward Taylor Leier.

“Toward the end, it was very difficult with my time in Rochester with the minutes,” Bailey said. “I guess I saw myself as something and, I think, as an organization, they must’ve thought something else.”

The fresh start in the Flyers organization – he also played 17 games with the Leigh Valley Phantoms – helped reignite Bailey’s career.

“(Fletcher) told me he thinks I’m right there,” Bailey said, “right on the cusp of breaking into the NHL.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Protector of the youngins in Utica.

I don't think that is Bailey's style of game.

He is big but primarily plays with speed and leverages his body to get pucks to the net, but nastiness and fighting are not in his repertoire  He has only 2 fights as a pro hockey player...dated back to 3 years ago.

His stats also show he doesn't really play a bruising style kind of game.  He averages maybe 1 hit per game in the NHL.   I don't know his AHL stats, but I would think he is more like a Jake Virtanen who uses speed over his brute physicality.  

• 6 months later...
On 7/9/2019 at 9:56 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Is this the Justin Bailey thread or the Loui Eriksson thread? :lol:

Speaking of which....

I realize LE has been performing better of late and this isn't necessarily the best time to press-box him in favour of a recall....but....the Bailey signing is looking better with age.

One interesting dynamic might be that LE's fit on the Horvat line made a lot of sense in the context of that line being forced into a lot of matchup.

But now that Sutter and Beagle are back however, it gives Green a lot more options.

And one of those could be to recall a Utica RW to give them a ride on the Pearson Horvat opposing wing.

Bailey:

22 goals and 35 pts in Utica - great pwf toolbox - with size, speed, and the ability to put the puck in the net.  That would be a heavy line to handle.

Lind:

12 goals and 37 pts - great vision, playmaking, transition game, good emerging two-way game and a bit of edge to his game as well.

Either of these guys could make for an interesting insertion into the lineup, particularly for a Horvat line that might see a bit more offensive situational use now that the lineup is healthy.

Not sure I'd bet on that happening (not trying to kick LE at the one point things are looking up for him) - but the one spot in the lineup that was in question before (with both Ferland and Leivo unavailable) - might have a couple interesting young options within the franchise (in addition to LE).

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Speaking of which....

I realize LE has been performing better of late and this isn't necessarily the best time to press-box him in favour of a recall....but....the Bailey signing is looking better with age.

One interesting dynamic might be that LE's fit on the Horvat line made a lot of sense in the context of that line being forced into a lot of matchup.

But now that Sutter and Beagle are back however, it gives Green a lot more options.

And one of those could be to recall a Utica RW to give them a ride on the Pearson Horvat opposing wing.

Bailey:

22 goals and 35 pts in Utica - great pwf toolbox - with size, speed, and the ability to put the puck in the net.  That would be a heavy line to handle.

Lind:

12 goals and 37 pts - great vision, playmaking, transition game, good emerging two-way game and a bit of edge to his game as well.

Either of these guys could make for an interesting insertion into the lineup, particularly for a Horvat line that might see a bit more offensive situational use now that the lineup is healthy.

Not sure I'd bet on that happening (not trying to kick LE at the one point things are looking up for him) - but the one spot in the lineup that was in question before (with both Ferland and Leivo unavailable) - might have a couple interesting young options within the franchise (in addition to LE).

Virtanen

7 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Virtanen

same difference.  take Virtanen off a Petey or Gaudette line, and you create an opening there.  three options of scoring and secondary scoring lines, two RW - Boeser and Virtanen - to fill them.  the point was an alternative to Eriksson.