The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Josh Leivo

37 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I just dont see Tanev capable of the underlined any more.

The more minutes he plays, the bigger an offensive target he becomes. Whether it’s being out because of injury for a portion of a period, a single game or weeks on end.. it upsets the balance and symmetry that s Coach tries to create in pairings.

We can “say” .. well it gives the prospects a chance to play when he is out,. But I would rather see a new prospect get the opportunity that Hutton has enjoyed.

Perhaps that’s Sautner, Brisboise, or Joulevi this year.

I'd be ok with giving Tanev 3rd pairing minutes to start the seasom and then go from there. He's still capable of playing top 4 minutes, but he's prone to a couple broken bones a year, so playing him 22 minutes a night is definitely playing with fire. But I do believe that when Tanev is healthy, he most definitely can handle 2nd pairing minutes and he'd be a huge asset to us tucked away on the 3rd pairing this year. More so than the diminished return we'd get IMO. Depth is key.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Fair point but this defense needs Tanev if we're going to make a playoff run. Swapping out Tanev for Myers and Hutton for Benn is not a significant enough upgrade. Plus it's unrealistic for us to expect this team to be healthy this year. Sure, we can hope for the best but we need to prepare for the worst and that means keeping as many D men capable of playing top 4 minutes as we can IMO.

Tanev and Hutton do not compare to what Myers and Benn bring in an all around game and more so.. physicality.

Hutton has been given enough opportunities here to be a 2nd line D. He is not.. he is a 6-7.

Biegga is better.

Tanev has tried to dazzle us with brilliance, but his game to me has been more about active feet than actually moving the puck out in the 30 or so games he plays a year.

You still have a comfort level with 2 players that are significantly holding back the good development of others, those 2 players can do, and do nothing to protect a prospect on D, they can barely protect themselves, which is one of the main reasons we were so weak on Defence.

Numbers don’t impress me much on D.. it s Defence after all.

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd be ok with giving Tanev 3rd pairing minutes to start the seasom and then go from there. He's still capable of playing top 4 minutes, but he's prone to a couple broken bones a year, so playing him 22 minutes a night is definitely playing with fire. But I do believe that when Tanev is healthy, he most definitely can handle 2nd pairing minutes and he'd be a huge asset to us tucked away on the 3rd pairing this year. More so than the diminished return we'd get IMO. Depth is key.

Tanev a third pairing D, .. against 4th line offence.

... hmmm .. yes, Mr Reaves, I will get the stretcher ready.

Depth is key when your developing it.. we are developing.

Sorry, but have to disagree and say that my love in with Tanev and Hutton is over,.. just for hindsight’s sake,. I wanted us to move Tanev for E Kane a couple of years back when we had that opportunity.. I felt he was skidding into the wood pile then.

45 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Good signing, but one has to wonder how we are going to move the dead weight?  If and when we sign Boeser, we'll be capped out and in order to unload salary we would have to add assets which we dont have and cant afford to give up.

It has been posted numerous times we WILL NOT be capped out after Boeser. Capfriendly has extra contracts included in their number. Some of those will not be included when players get sent down.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

9 million(ish) to sign Boeser and Goldy

Why re sign Goldy though?? Unless he takes a step forward this season I don't see why at this point the organization would re-sign him. For a guy that was scratched multiple times last season and in the dog house I don't think we should be taking about re-signing the guy.

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

Good signing, but one has to wonder how we are going to move the dead weight?  If and when we sign Boeser, we'll be capped out and in order to unload salary we would have to add assets which we dont have and cant afford to give up.

The thing is how do you move Eriksson and Sutter? with those contracts teams don't want them. If they were on reasonable contracts teams would maybe take a flier on them....but they are both grossly overpaid and expensive so I would imagine it's pretty tough to move them right now without retaining salary.