The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THE REBUILD IS OVER

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

4 hours ago, Bubble Man said:

I just clicked on that link and it took me to some LaBamba guys profile. Who is this guy? 

Jarret Stoll's local in Yorkton?

Bamba was a ''unique'' poster here on CDC. From what I can gather, an Oil rig worker twice or thrice banned for lving a good CDC debate... 

• Cheers 1

I hope the rebuild is over.

When I talked about all the strange decisions by Green people here said it was because of the rebuild. So, great, it will will be nice to see Green outsmart the outer coaches.

The rebuild is over... Long live the reuild.

20 hours ago, appleboy said:

We don't have anyone close to the 100 point range. So not sure why you would say our front line is one of the best? We have some good young talent but they are a ways from being classed as one of the best.

Our bottom six is anemic.  Our bottom six is close to being the worst in the league.

Your hilarious.  I said we had one of the best top nines, and as in top three lines in the division...but whatever applesauce keep spreading your dislike for the team.   How many guys in our division scored 100 points last year again .... ?  Can’t have a good line first line without them? And the league for that matter..three was  it, out of 24 players...Personally I think the EP we saw at the beginning is closer to the one we will get then the one who we saw the last couple months.  That guy is a 100 point player, maybe not next year but sometime soon.  Maybe go cheer for the Oilers they had two.

There’s  more then points when tabulating a teams players, although it’s important.  Don’t think we are going to have much of any problems from ours, when you have enough to start making three scoring lines your fourth line ends up pretty good too BTW.   Beagle is a very good 4th line Center, and where’s LE going to end up?  Fourth line now?  Two guys get bumped out of last years top six, it’s going to trickle down right out of the lineup, and last year Bear hardly played (doesn’t mean he will for long, but if he does that’s like three guys we didn’t have last year).   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, appleboy said:

Our bottom six is anemic.  Our bottom six is close to being the worst in the league.

I don't think this is fair. The added depth up front is going to push guys like Leivo, Baertschi and Virtanen down the lineup, which should give our bottom two lines a much needed offensive boost. Also, I think your analysis of our bottom six is based on the fact that both Sutter and Beagle we're out for a significant amount of time. I'm not Sutter's biggest fan in the world, but even I can see that when he's on his game and not battling injury, he's an effective 3C. 

If someone like Leivo or Virtanen is a 4th liner on this team, we're not in bad shape.

• Upvote 2

On 7/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, Alflives said:

I wonder if signing Ferland for 4 years is saying the team isn’t so high on Gadjovich? 

That gives Gadjovich a marker: that is the standard he has to meet to make the big time. It’s always valuable to know what you have to do to get a three and a half million dollar payday.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, IBatch said:

If everyone is injured as often as they were the last few years, which I fully expect, the difference is this year we have the depth to support it.   Then add Miller, Myers, Benn, Ferland and subtract all the guys they replaced.  This team is nothing like the one we iced last year, bigger, tougher, more skilled and deeper.   Yes it’s possible they miss the playoffs, if they do it won’t be by much...the best version is still three years out.  We have one of the best top nines in the division now, and one of the best bottom six too.   And a much better defense then we iced last year too...

Well there are 7 teams in the division which is by the the crappiest division in the NHL.

Without any arguement Calgary and Vegas have a better top 9. Not sure on SJ without Little Joe. As horrible and laughable as Edmonton is McDavid and Leon alone are exceptional. 

Realistically we are third or fourth as far as top 9 in the worst division.

Big improvements for sure....best is a stretch I believe.

Don't get me wrong Benn is an awesome addition but he's glass and out. He's not a stud.

Edited by Chris12345

12 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I hope the rebuild is over.

When I talked about all the strange decisions by Green people here said it was because of the rebuild. So, great, it will will be nice to see Green outsmart the outer coaches.

The rebuild is over... Long live the reuild.

There rebuild is still in prebuild phase, we have key building blocks - a couple of strong young centres with divergent styles -one high scoring winger, it looks like we may have scored a high end offensive defenceman, and may have a young up and coming number one goalie. We have an intriguing right winger that still may turn into a power forward. That we appear to have. In development we have what might be a stellar talented winger in Podkolzin, a potential highly skilled high energy forward in Hollander, we have a potential number 2/3 defenceman in Juolevi, intriguing defensive prospects in Tryamkin, Woo, Rathbone, and Rafferty. Intriguing prospects in Gaudette, McEwan, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Madden, and Lockwood in various stages of development - and more in the current draft I haven’t seen enough of to characterize. We now have some interesting vets going forward in Markstrom, Edler, Pearson, Baertschi, Miller, Ferland, Rousel,, Benn, and Myers, and some pieces we have to transition out of Sutter, Eriksson and Tanev - two, sadly limited by injury and one who thinks moving out of Boston amounts to retirement.

There are still too many places that need to be effectively filled to call the rebuild finished, rather that the foundation has been layer and a couple of the cornerstones placed - but there is still a ways to go and the test will be if Benning can develop his prospects and still find us a couple of key pieces in future drafts. At least now he has something to work with compared to the crew that Gillis bequeathed him. I’m not putting Gillis down for that great run into the final - it’s just that afterwards we were left with a collection of damaged pieces, many of whom would never be the same: Kesler, Bieksa, Salo, Hamhuis, Burrows, Luongo, Ehrhoff,  Malhotra, and the Sedins were greatly diminished. Boston retooled from that while we tried to hang on to the past - hence Boston once again made the finals with the chance for glory and we did not. Boston was ruthless in its rebuild, and we were not. Now it’s our turn and there are players we must leave behind - thanks for your service.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

Your hilarious.  I said we had one of the best top nines, and as in top three lines in the division...but whatever applesauce keep spreading your dislike for the team.   How many guys in our division scored 100 points last year again .... ?  Can’t have a good line first line without them? And the league for that matter..three was  it, out of 24 players...Personally I think the EP we saw at the beginning is closer to the one we will get then the one who we saw the last couple months.  That guy is a 100 point player, maybe not next year but sometime soon.  Maybe go cheer for the Oilers they had two.

There’s  more then points when tabulating a teams players, although it’s important.  Don’t think we are going to have much of any problems from ours, when you have enough to start making three scoring lines your fourth line ends up pretty good too BTW.   Beagle is a very good 4th line Center, and where’s LE going to end up?  Fourth line now?  Two guys get bumped out of last years top six, it’s going to trickle down right out of the lineup, and last year Bear hardly played (doesn’t mean he will for long, but if he does that’s like three guys we didn’t have last year).   

Just to repeat.  We don't have a top line. 

So not sure why you would say we have one of the best top nine. We had three young players last year who did well but..... No one is a 100 point player until they put up the numbers . After the 3 young studs it got very bad. 

We will see how this year goes and how they fit in.

None of us know how this year will play out. 

Beagle is replacement level, nothing more. 3 mil for three more years.

At the end of this coming season and the stats show that we have one of the best top 9 in the league. Then I will gladly admit it. Right now I look at last years numbers and just chuckle.

Last year everyone was saying how Beagle , Rousell and Schaller were going to make us so much better. 

• Cheers 1

The core rebuild is over.

And the band aid has been applied that is the supporting cast.

if the core 4/5 are all stars we are done.  Can we afford to sign them with the anchor  contracts we have?  Hopefully.   I guess we are testing the theory that u can’t build a team through FA

anchor contracts: 13 million for basically nothing.   Imagine the team of these anchors were never signed?  Maybe we would have PK Subban on the team, and could be a true competitor.

erik

sutter

beagle

but that’s what FA is all about.   U get a player for a few years and then are screwed for a few years.... that’s why it’s hard to build through FA.

The team has to get way way way more creative than they have been of they can pull it off.

will be interesting!  Really if the core 4/5 are all stars we are OK.  If they are just stars we are screwed

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, Alflives said:

I wonder if signing Ferland for 4 years is saying the team isn’t so high on Gadjovich? 

nah i don't think that is the plan for this team

look at the contracts of these newly acquired players

they are all moveable (well myers does have a 1 year nmc)

if young prospects overtake these guys.. that is good for the team

but there are not going to be any positions gifted on this roster

if guadette improves more he can push out sutter or beagle, otherwise he is on the bubble

gad can prove his worth and try to bump roussel or perhaps ferland

same goes for the other prospects

other then a bit of weak depth in the d grouping

the team no longer has any real holes

18 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

The core rebuild is over.

And the band aid has been applied that is the supporting cast.

if the core 4/5 are all stars we are done.  Can we afford to sign them with the anchor  contracts we have?  Hopefully.   I guess we are testing the theory that u can’t build a team through FA

anchor contracts: 13 million for basically nothing.   Imagine the team of these anchors were never signed?  Maybe we would have PK Subban on the team, and could be a true competitor.

erik

sutter

beagle

but that’s what FA is all about.   U get a player for a few years and then are screwed for a few years.... that’s why it’s hard to build through FA.

The team has to get way way way more creative than they have been of they can pull it off.

will be interesting!  Really if the core 4/5 are all stars we are OK.  If they are just stars we are screwed

i'm not really worried about that issue

it is a forced savings plan to some extent

those funds will be freed up when we need the money the most

to deal with new contracts for hughes and ep40

not sure how you think that could be done if subban's huge contract was added this off season ?

3 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i'm not really worried about that issue

it is a forced savings plan to some extent

those funds will be freed up when we need the money the most

to deal with new contracts for hughes and ep40

not sure how you think that could be done if subban's huge contract was added this off season ?

Just saying in retrospect there are better ways to have spent that money.  Wouldn’t you rather have subban than those players?  

Not or saying that spending the money was a bad idea - just the return.   The team will be tight when signing the core - but every team is.  It all comes down to:  does it matter?  If the core is good enough to dominate it won’t matter if we have to lose some deals to keep them together.  Hope so!  We will see

44 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Just saying in retrospect there are better ways to have spent that money.  Wouldn’t you rather have subban than those players?  

Not or saying that spending the money was a bad idea - just the return.   The team will be tight when signing the core - but every team is.  It all comes down to:  does it matter?  If the core is good enough to dominate it won’t matter if we have to lose some deals to keep them together.  Hope so!  We will see

well i guess fans like to think it is their money that is being spent

i don't, so it really does not matter to me

i'm more concerned about seeing a steady progression or development of the core players

which appears to be on track

and that the team avoids cap hell that some teams are now facing due flawed planning

so i think the chances of avoiding early overspending

is somewhat inhibited by having cap space at this stage of the team building tied up

as it increases greatly the chances it will be properly assigned to the key players

since it will only become available when they expect significant contracts

suggesting acquiring subban at this stage of team building

is appealing

but his contract term and aav will in fact most likely create

the same salary cap hell we see in other teams this off season

so your appetite for him only confirms my comfort with the present salary cap situation

making him unaffordable to the team

Edited by coastal.view

5 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There rebuild is still in prebuild phase, we have key building blocks - a couple of strong young centres with divergent styles -one high scoring winger, it looks like we may have scored a high end offensive defenceman, and may have a young up and coming number one goalie. We have an intriguing right winger that still may turn into a power forward. That we appear to have. In development we have what might be a stellar talented winger in Podkolzin, a potential highly skilled high energy forward in Hollander, we have a potential number 2/3 defenceman in Juolevi, intriguing defensive prospects in Tryamkin, Woo, Rathbone, and Rafferty. Intriguing prospects in Gaudette, McEwan, Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek, Madden, and Lockwood in various stages of development - and more in the current draft I haven’t seen enough of to characterize. We now have some interesting vets going forward in Markstrom, Edler, Pearson, Baertschi, Miller, Ferland, Rousel,, Benn, and Myers, and some pieces we have to transition out of Sutter, Eriksson and Tanev - two, sadly limited by injury and one who thinks moving out of Boston amounts to retirement.

There are still too many places that need to be effectively filled to call the rebuild finished, rather that the foundation has been layer and a couple of the cornerstones placed - but there is still a ways to go and the test will be if Benning can develop his prospects and still find us a couple of key pieces in future drafts. At least now he has something to work with compared to the crew that Gillis bequeathed him. I’m not putting Gillis down for that great run into the final - it’s just that afterwards we were left with a collection of damaged pieces, many of whom would never be the same: Kesler, Bieksa, Salo, Hamhuis, Burrows, Luongo, Ehrhoff,  Malhotra, and the Sedins were greatly diminished. Boston retooled from that while we tried to hang on to the past - hence Boston once again made the finals with the chance for glory and we did not. Boston was ruthless in its rebuild, and we were not. Now it’s our turn and there are players we must leave behind - thanks for your service.

I only hope that Green/Benning let the team win as much as they can.

We have the pieces in place for a play off spot. We need the experience a play off give.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

Just to repeat.  We don't have a top line. 

So not sure why you would say we have one of the best top nine. We had three young players last year who did well but..... No one is a 100 point player until they put up the numbers . After the 3 young studs it got very bad. 

We will see how this year goes and how they fit in.

None of us know how this year will play out. 

Beagle is replacement level, nothing more. 3 mil for three more years.

At the end of this coming season and the stats show that we have one of the best top 9 in the league. Then I will gladly admit it. Right now I look at last years numbers and just chuckle.

Last year everyone was saying how Beagle , Rousell and Schaller were going to make us so much better. 

We actually DO have a top line, for the first time in a while.  As in a first line.   Sure EDM and CAL were better last year, that’s why I said we have a top nine that is as good as any in our division not a top LINE.  And we all saw how great both CALs small line did and TBs too for that matter come playoff time (although I’m not so sure about them, bad luck?)

FYI there were six guys last year that scored 100 points, the most in quite some time and two were from our division, both in EDM.   Who was worse then us and hasn’t done squat this off season to make their team better.    Five of the top 30 were also in our division which isn’t very many overall.  Yes I definitely think we can compete with these guys, we have a glut of middle six players that could easily have 20 plus goals given some PP or top six duties, Pearson, Ferland, JV, Rousell (well at least be on pace for 20), Bear and maybe even LE etc...last year Rousell scored at a higher rate 5 x 5 per 60 minutes then Boeser did.   Horvat will also have two decent options for an entire season now, which makes me happy for him. 

When LE and Beagle are your fourth line your doing ok..statiscally LE was one of the best PKers in the entire league last year (advanced stats)...read a nice article on it yesterday, so your earlier comments about that make me chuckle too (was it we had one of the worst fourth lines, something like that anyway, most expensive no doubt).   Someone else pointed out St Louis and how many points their guys got so I won’t go there but again, our top nine looks  be one of the best in our division this year, we certainly have the guns for it.

edit:  SJ lost two of their top producers this off season...CAL and Vegas top nines will probably be better then ours, unless EP catches fire and produces at the 1.3 PPG he did until Jan last year.   I’m expecting both him and Boeser to have over 70 if they play a full season.  The sky’s the limit for them.   Horvat could too depending on PP time and if he remains on the first unit.  Having a more balanced defense will help with this, a full year of Hughes, and Myers too to a certain degree will give the entire offense a boost.   Maybe I’m more bullish then some when it comes to this but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well things turn out. 

There is a big difference in the quality of players we brought in this time, gritty vets are one thing (whom are also placeholders in a way until the some of the second tiered support players start trickling in) Swiss Army knife guys Ferland, Pearson and Miller are another level. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

NO.  Subban is overrated and wouldn’t surprise me if one of Hughes, Myers or even Edler outscore him.  In NSH he was used against a much lower level of competition then Weber sees in MTL (the best) and could still barely manage 40 points.   Much rather have Benn and Myers, who are  at least as good defensively.  At that price he should be doing it all and still be a Norris quality guy (which I don’t ever think he was, he robbed EK of a Norris)....Josi was their top guy.    Maybe he has a bounce back year but I think he won’t and NJ will come to regret this move.