The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Benning's boldest offseason gets bolder

So unlikely as this would be, if GMJB did something like this, it would be one of the biggest offseasons in the history of the franchise.

TRANSACTION #1

This all hinges on one major thing happening:  Offer Sheet Mitch Marner at $12M per season where the Leafs don't match.  Unlikely?  Yes... but this whole scenario is unlikely, so just read on for fun lol.  Assuming Marner signs it, and the Leafs don't match, we now have Marner.

To VAN:  Marner

CAP HIT:  +12M

TRANSACTION #2

To EDM:

Sutter

To VAN:

Kassian

We know Edmonton could use a 3rd line centre to play the heavy defensive minutes. 

Canucks get some more size and grit back to add to the size movement while dumping cap.  Kassian is still decent, especially if he were in a 4th line role.

CAP HIT:  -$3M

TRANSACTION #3

To Any Team with Cap Space:

Eriksson

Boeser

To VAN:

1st round pick

Moving LE will need a sweetener.  Attaching him to Boeser would surely make LE a lot more desirable. 

CAP HIT:  -$6M

Net result:

IN:  Marner, Kassian, 1st round pick

OUT:  Boeser, Sutter, LE, 4x 1st round picks

CAP HIT:  +$3M which leaves about $2M in cap space to start the season

New Lines:

Ferland-Petey-Miller (Line 1A) - Petey is the setup guy on this line

Pearson-Bo-Marner (Line 1B) - Marner is the setup guy on this line

Baertshi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Kassian-Beagle-Leivo/Motte

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

1 minute ago, ItsMillerTime said:

We can't get Marner because we don't have our 2020/2021 1st pick. I don't think Edmonton would want a another bad contract. Also that's such a bad return for Boeser only getting a 1st rounder. 

We only need 4 out of the next 5 first round picks to get Marner.

We could likely afford to retain 1M on Sutter.  That makes Sutter a much better deal.  EDM would likely need to add then.  Kassian as return isn't enough.

You can't look at it as Boeser for a 1st.  You need to look at it as the cost of clearing $6M in cap space to be able to sign one of the most talented forwards in the league.  Marner is much more multi-dimensional than Boeser. 

• Upvote 1

Marner is a good player. Is he worth 12 Million? No.

I'm also not keen on moving Boeser. Once he's healthy I really believe 40+ goals a year is possible.

As much as I'd like to dig my 2 Kassian jerseys out of the Mothballs in the Man Cave closet, I'll pass on this idea.

Thanks for the read though.

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

We only need 4 out of the next 5 first round picks to get Marner.

We could likely afford to retain 1M on Sutter.  That makes Sutter a much better deal.  EDM would likely need to add then.  Kassian as return isn't enough.

You can't look at it as Boeser for a 1st.  You need to look at it as the cost of clearing $6M in cap space to be able to sign one of the most talented forwards in the league.  Marner is much more multi-dimensional than Boeser. 

The trade is basically Boeser Eriksson 4 1sts for Marner and a 1st and his 12 million dollar contract. I like Marner but that's so much of the future to give up for him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ItsMillerTime said:

We can't get Marner because we don't have our 2020/2021 1st pick. I don't think Edmonton would want a another bad contract. Also that's such a bad return for Boeser only getting a 1st rounder. 

I agree it's a bad return, however, I recall hearing that it is just 4 1st round picks, and not necessarily 4 successive 1st round picks in consecutive years, so Canucks can technically try to offer-sheet Marner at $12M+......

Would consider moving Boeser in a Loui package if we're getting a young promising RHD and an unprotected 1st from a cap-floor type team - in other words, a likely non-playoff team.

Would also be ok signing the kid to a long-term deal as well.  

• Upvote 2

Nope....nope nope nope, ......nope!  I like your gambling attitude, but as soon as you tossed Boesser in as the sweetener with Eriksson, you lost me.  Plus we don't have the picks to make the offer sheet. :)  You could tweak it a little bit, and try to shine Goldobin and Chatfield to go with Eriksson somewhere.  But as for Marner, you aren't getting him in the this proposal.  Dream big, and don't stop... 

8 hours ago, ItsMillerTime said:

for what is worth, it's 4 of the next 5 first rounders.. 

The second trade I was like "hmm, maybe, but why would Edmonton do that?"

The third trade I was like "No. Just no. Don't do a Hughmungus....."

Also, I don't think we can offer sheet due to the trade we made with Tampa and not having all of our 1st round picks? Not 100% sure on that though.

Edited by The Lock

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

So unlikely as this would be, if GMJB did something like this, it would be one of the biggest offseasons in the history of the franchise.

TRANSACTION #1

This all hinges on one major thing happening:  Offer Sheet Mitch Marner at $12M per season where the Leafs don't match.  Unlikely?  Yes... but this whole scenario is unlikely, so just read on for fun lol.  Assuming Marner signs it, and the Leafs don't match, we now have Marner.

To VAN:  Marner

CAP HIT:  +12M

TRANSACTION #2

To EDM:

Sutter

To VAN:

Kassian

We know Edmonton could use a 3rd line centre to play the heavy defensive minutes. 

Canucks get some more size and grit back to add to the size movement while dumping cap.  Kassian is still decent, especially if he were in a 4th line role.

CAP HIT:  -$3M

TRANSACTION #3

To Any Team with Cap Space:

Eriksson

Boeser

To VAN:

1st round pick

Moving LE will need a sweetener.  Attaching him to Boeser would surely make LE a lot more desirable. 

CAP HIT:  -$6M

Net result:

IN:  Marner, Kassian, 1st round pick

OUT:  Boeser, Sutter, LE, 4x 1st round picks

CAP HIT:  +$3M which leaves about $2M in cap space to start the season

New Lines:

Ferland-Petey-Miller (Line 1A) - Petey is the setup guy on this line

Pearson-Bo-Marner (Line 1B) - Marner is the setup guy on this line

Baertshi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Kassian-Beagle-Leivo/Motte

And how do we sign petey & quinn in 2 years? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 5:24 AM, Fanuck said:

Would consider moving Boeser in a Loui package if we're getting a young promising RHD and an unprotected 1st from a cap-floor type team - in other words, a likely non-playoff team.

Would also be ok signing the kid to a long-term deal as well.  

Thomas Chabot comes to mind, but would the Sens be willing to move him?

I would have considered moving Brock for a young RHD a few months back,  I don’t think I’d do that now.

To improve  our depth on RD (which still needs to improve in my opinion), I would definitely consider moving Gaudette and/or Madden.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

On 7/10/2019 at 5:17 PM, TheCammer said:

Marner is a good player. Is he worth 12 Million? No.

I'm also not keen on moving Boeser. Once he's healthy I really believe 40+ goals a year is possible.

As much as I'd like to dig my 2 Kassian jerseys out of the Mothballs in the Man Cave closet, I'll pass on this idea.

Thanks for the read though.

We would have to qualify him at above 12M the following year and then the year after go into negotiations with EP when we have a soft winger making over $12M.

Can't see any problem with this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

We would have to qualify him at above 12M the following year and then the year after go into negotiations with EP when we have a soft winger making over $12M.

Can't see any problem with this.

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Thomas Chabot comes to mind, but would the Sens be willing to move him?

I would have considered moving Brock for a young RHD a few months back,  I don’t think I’d do that now.

To improve  our depth on RD (which still needs to improve in my opinion), I would definitely consider moving Gaudette and/or Madden.

The only player on the Canucks that brings back Chabot is Pettersson. And thats without adding Ericksson’s boat anchor contract.