The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

9 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

looked good to me also. Several steals along the boards and passes out front.

Opponents clearly know (I'm sure they scream from the bench) when Ferland is on the ice.  He hits like a truck (So does Jake) so he gets lots of guys giving up on pucks.  (Jake is the benefit of this type of intimidation too.)

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Opponents clearly know (I'm sure they scream from the bench) when Ferland is on the ice.  He hits like a truck (So does Jake) so he gets lots of guys giving up on pucks.  (Jake is the benefit of this type of intimidation too.)

need to jake to start hitting hard again

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve tried to explain this to people throughout last year but having watched ferland closely during his time in Calgary, you have to just accept he’s not a 82 game player. He’s the type that really only shows up for 40ish games at best and the rest of the time he’s invisible. when he’s on he can be a force, just don’t let that be the expectation. 

Very kassian esq. he’s constantly listed as day to day, or a game time decision due to some random sickness/cold or body ache. It became a running joke in flames radio of what he’d listed as next. Hang nail, throat felt scratchy, stubbed a toe.  He typically shows up and play games just a lot of question marks on if he is ever 100%, there’s always something with him. 

I’m sure he did lose weight and was sick and maybe that is affecting him. But as soon as I heard the report I thought to myself, so it begins. it’s been three games of him being not noticeable so he’s due for a good game.  

Load management???

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised at Ferland play.  He has scored 21 goals once in his career.  That doesn't mean he is a 20 goal scorer.  Realistically he is a 15 to 17 goal player: which is fine but if a guy only scores 21 once that doesn't mean he will do it again.  Guys like Ferland, Jake and the other more physical players can't play at crazy pace up every game, it is impossible.  Time people for some realism about Bottom 9 production.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I don't understand why everyone is so surprised at Ferland play.  He has scored 21 goals once in his career.  That doesn't mean he is a 20 goal scorer.  Realistically he is a 15 to 17 goal player: which is fine but if a guy only scores 21 once that doesn't mean he will do it again.  Guys like Ferland, Jake and the other more physical players can't play at crazy pace up every game, it is impossible.  Time people for some realism about Bottom 9 production.

Totally agree.  If Shotgun and Ferly combine for 30-40 that’s good.  We need them to make it difficult for the other team by using their size to play heavy.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Agreed, he's never been a top 6 player really--just a third line guy who was able to mesh with top players. If he doesn't mesh with the top players, which so far he isn't in Vancouver, he's only going to produce at a third line level, which would be about 30-35 points.

• Cheers 2

He has looked far more engaged physically each game he has played.

In St Louis you saw his best when Pietrangelo went after him, it awakened his game.  He began hitting hard, getting on the forecheck, and making smart plays.

Needs to keep it up and earn Green's trust because right now after the game against NYR, it has been his lowest TOI this season at 7:15.

• Like 1

I think Jake's time on ice was affected by the amount of penalties called in this game.  He is not on special teams so it makes sense that his numbers would be lower today.  Loved his hit on Staal. and his discipline to draw a penalty.  Thought he was good on the line with Bo and I would like to see that tried a few more times.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agreed, he's never been a top 6 player really--just a third line guy who was able to mesh with top players. If he doesn't mesh with the top players, which so far he isn't in Vancouver, he's only going to produce at a third line level, which would be about 30-35 points.

And that all he's being paid for as well.

I don't get it, Ferland has been playing better each game and Green only played him 7:15. it is almost like green is wanting Ferland to fail. not right imo.  sometimes Green is so quiet about handling players, fans need to know what is going on!!!

46 minutes ago, bree2 said:

I don't get it, Ferland has been playing better each game and Green only played him 7:15. it is almost like green is wanting Ferland to fail. not right imo.  sometimes Green is so quiet about handling players, fans need to know what is going on!!!

I think Green tight3ned it up in the 3 espescially.

Ferlands game is coming around, albeit, slowly..  but he is getting chances of quality when he plays,.  I’d love to see him get back to roughly .5 pts per game.

i think this is a player whose full game play gets better when  he is contributing at a pace like that.

Still a great playoff player, one who can chip away the tendencies of same opponent night after night.

i don’t think Green will ever give up on this guy.. he knows the capabilities of MF.. 

our 4th line was on fire today..  sometimes you gotta go with what’s firing hotter.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Ferland was real sick recently and his body is just on the path to recovery now. He was probably feeling pretty drained after back to back early games. Not really a big deal at all and certainly not anything that needs to be addressed to the fans.

• Upvote 1

Good to see Ferland playing better and more physically engaged. Think he's got a lot to offer to Virtanen about teaching him to be more aggressive offensively, but also a little bit more engaged offensively. 

5 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Ferland was real sick recently and his body is just on the path to recovery now. He was probably feeling pretty drained after back to back early games. Not really a big deal at all and certainly not anything that needs to be addressed to the fans.

I don't think the sick excuse works anymore.  Its been a few weeks now and he is a professional athlete for Pete's sake.  Also the coaches are being smart by not making the injury or wellness issues known publicly because you don't want to advertise your weaknesses.  Straight out of the Art of War (every coach should read it) :ph34r:..

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I don't think the sick excuse works anymore.  Its been a few weeks now and he is a professional athlete for Pete's sake.  Also the coaches are being smart by not making the injury or wellness issues known publicly because you don't want to advertise your weaknesses.  Straight out of the Art of War (every coach should read it) :ph34r:..

We have all had illness that has left us feeling drained, tired and sore for weeks, sometimes months. These guys are finely tuned machines designed to play hockey. If you loose the 10-20 pounds that was reported Ferland lost during his sickness then it will 100% effective your strength and stamina for at least a few weeks, if not more. So I respectfully disagree. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

We have all had illness that has left us feeling drained, tired and sore for weeks, sometimes months. These guys are finely tuned machines designed to play hockey. If you loose the 10-20 pounds that was reported Ferland lost during his sickness then it will 100% effective your strength and stamina for at least a few weeks, if not more. So I respectfully disagree. 

I get what you are saying and I agree, I just thought the last few games he was starting to play a lot better.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

He lost 10 pounds but by now he should be fine.  If he is still that sick then maybe they should sit him out until his delicate constitution has recovered.  He had the flu.  I had the flu just last week and granted I am not a finely tuned hockey machine but I lost 7 lb and threw up all week and I suspect I should be back to normal by the end of the week.  I think people have these grandiose plans for Ferland based on one playoff series back in 2015.  He and other players like him can't be "That Guy" every game for the whole season.  No one could keep that pace up.  Don't get me wrong I like Ferland and I am happy that they signed him.  But I think people need to temper their expectations of him. He is not a 25 goal scorer like many had predicted for him.