The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The one forward spot that is coveted above all - who will be anointed?

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

First line  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The fact the top six can be put in a blender speaks volumes to where we are at today.

My choice is the new Sheriff in town, law and order will be restored.

Or arenas will be spilling with......

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Why not - 

Ferland - Petey - Miller 

Baer - Bo - Brock 

This way we get intensity from the top 6, and we also don’t need to worry about our stars getting hurt. Boeser goes back to what seemed to work better (at least by the eye test) and Petey now gets 2 guys who’ll pass him the puck more often, but can shoot well too. 

Ferland on the top line if Boeser stays there though. We need a police officer and he could get pretty good offence there as well.  

I put the same top six out there a couple weeks back.

After I thought about it a bit I didn't feel like Petey was getting the winger he deserves. 

It might be a good option on the road though. The killer b's are a fun line to watch, lots of complimentary skill there, but Petey's genius needs a bona fide sniper AND Petey has to use that to his advantage a be a bit more greedy.

The twins were both pass first players, I've always felt they'd have been better players if they were a bit more selfish.

Edit - given the poll options I went with Ferland. Baer-Bo-Miller would be a great line.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, nzan said:

Ferland Bo Miller would be a badass second line!

Size, grit, speed

Something the Canucks have lacked in recent years. Really happy with what GMJB has done in the last calendar year.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I put the same top six out there a couple weeks back.

After I thought about it a bit I didn't feel like Petey was getting the winger he deserves. 

It might be a good option on the road though. The killer b's are a fun line to watch, lots of complimentary skill there, but Petey's genius needs a bona fide sniper AND Petey has to use that to his advantage a be a bit more greedy. The twins were both pass first players, I've always felt they'd have been better players if they were a bit more selfish.

I know it seems weird, but I wonder if Petey is the type of player who needs to have worse wingers to play well, at least at the start of his career. We saw how dominant he was in the SHL when he was by far and away the best player, and while it’s not the best comparison wise, maybe he needs a similar situation to become more selfish?

4 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I know it seems weird, but I wonder if Petey is the type of player who needs to have worse wingers to play well, at least at the start of his career. We saw how dominant he was in the SHL when he was by far and away the best player, and while it’s not the best comparison wise, maybe he needs a similar situation to become more selfish?

I can't argue that philosophy at all. It's exciting to think about all the possibilities now. 

Green as his bum assistants better get their plan together and find a way to execute.

JB has given them the talent and depth, it's go time for the staff. Do or die. I'm a little surprised we didn't see a D coaching shake up like the Clouts / Clark thing last summer. Still time though. 

I'd like to see someone from outside of the org though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Gaudette between Goldy and Louie will be an awesome Utica first line.

Here, I like Petey between Ferland and Miller - as other posters have said, he might then be more selfish and generate 40 to 50 goals on his own.  But realistically, can we produce 2 lines which each generate 100 goals? That would need something like a 25 - 50 - 25 from Ferland - Petey - Miller, and a 30 - 40 - 40 from Baer - Bo - Boss.  Doable?

52 minutes ago, 6string said:

The fact the top six can be put in a blender speaks volumes to where we are at today.

Said better than I was going to. I picked Ferland but only as an experiment to see if he can offset his lesser talent by using the abilities he was brought here for. Miller is the more talented player but I really want that snarl with Petey.

We have so many talented forwards that one or two guys are going to be pushed to a 3rd line role when they really deserve to be top 6. Thats a good problem to have - especially with our injury history.

And this all doesn't consider guys like Virtanen, Leivo, Goldobin and some may argue Rousell who all COULD fill in a top 6 role and may even get to that level permanently if we are super lucky.

While I do still think we could use another star winger, I -really- like the combination of skill, size, and tenacity of our forward group.

Pretty much same could be said of our D as well.

Haven't had this much anticipation for a season in a long time.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

I want Ferland out there with Petey, even though I believe JT would produce better. Ferland is a little tougher, more aggressive on the forecheck and better known for standing up for team mates. I kinda like the idea of splitting up EP and Brock too. Put EP between Miller and Ferland and let Bo and Boeser run with either Bearcheese or Pearson and you have two pretty difficult lines to match up with. 

It is so nice to have actual depth to think about instead of wondering if Chaput or Megna should be in the top six...

:sick:

I just died a little inside reading this....

I guess what we can take from this is that we have many potential options.

I have Miller to start with EP and Boeser to start. Miller will stand up for his teammates and has more offensive potential to click. Having Ferland out there only really adds immediately retribution should something go down. Ferland throwing a big hit might spark scrums and such and allows teams to take liberties on guys like EP and BB as well. But Ferland has played on lines with Aho and Gaudreau, so no reason to think he can't fit alongside them.

A wildcard with the added size acquired could be Goldobin. He's probably one of the most skilled guys on the team. He might be interesting to try on a line with Pearson/Miller and Horvat who are defensively responsible and will crash the net while Goldy dishes passes to them or has them forecheck and dig the puck out to Goldy who seems to have an underrated shot.

I’m with Spook and others on this one, TG has options for the first time since he arrived and can move guys around until the right fit presents itself.  Doesn’t make sense to not start with Pearson on Horvats wing to start, other then they there is no wrong choices.  I suspect Ferland will get some time on EPs wing just to make a statement to the rest of the league, Miller would be nice on either line too.  And stoked that Horvat will get some decent options again.

• Cheers 1

To further my earlier post about Goldy being a wildcard, maybe try Ferland-EP-Goldobin.

Goldobin has the skill to go with EP and Ferland can police them.

Then that leaves Miller with Horvat and Boeser.

Pearson and Baertschi can duke it out for the 3rd line spot, but I feel like there's another trade (or two) that will happen this offseason.

Either way, I'm kinda rooting for Goldy to succeed and I hope he finds another level this season. If not, we have the depth to still fill out a decent top 6 this year.

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

To further my earlier post about Goldy being a wildcard, maybe try Ferland-EP-Goldobin.

Goldobin has the skill to go with EP and Ferland can police them.

Then that leaves Miller with Horvat and Boeser.

Pearson and Baertschi can duke it out for the 3rd line spot, but I feel like there's another trade (or two) that will happen this offseason.

Either way, I'm kinda rooting for Goldy to succeed and I hope he finds another level this season. If not, we have the depth to still fill out a decent top 6 this year.

Personally, I see them walking away from Goldy........or sign and trade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1