The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calder Trophy - Hughes or Hughes?

Rate this topic

Battlemonger

There could be a pair of brothers both vying for the Calder this upcoming season - The Hughes brothers. I don't know if there has ever been a similar situation before, but what an interesting one, for sure. What would it take for Quinn to win over Jack? Perhaps 30-40 pts and plenty of wows?

I could see either of them winning it, but there are also plenty of other strong candidates like Kaako, Steel, Comtois, Makar, Texier, and Brannstrom. My bet is probably on Jack Hughes or Kaako this year though. My guess is the Quinn finishes top 5 though. If he finishes top 3, the Canucks would be the first team in around 40 years to have Calder finalists in three consecutive years I think (PITB was reporting on this).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm going to give it to Kaako. If a dman is going to take it then it's Makar. If Quinn gets in the running, he has to be running our PP, so we will see how he's utilized.

Not that sold on Jack Hughes and their team really likes Nico Hischier. I expect Zajac to take some minutes from his too and Jack will be in a more sheltered role. He'll have some tough competition to surpass on his own team to get minutes, but if he does, then I'll be more optimistic towards him getting the Calder nomination.

• Like 1

I think Makar will take it, Pettersson showed what a difference an extra year of development can do for a player at that age.

Makar is battle tested in the playoffs and will likely be quarterbacking one of the best powerplays in the league. Not to mention being entirely reliable in his own zone, Hughes will likely need to be sheltered with a defensively sound partner.

• Cheers 4

I can see Quinn racking up points this coming season and taking a run at the Calder for two reasons.

No.1 a *HEALTHY Canuck team will be able to compete with an offense other teams are not prepared for (catching them off guard).

No. 2  we don't have the ridiculous schedule from last year's WJC interfering....this young man will be better rested than what EP had to endure.

Hugh betch ya!

2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I think Makar will take it, Pettersson showed what a difference an extra year of development can do for a player at that age.

Makar is battle tested in the playoffs and will likely be quarterbacking one of the best powerplays in the league. Not to mention being entirely reliable in his own zone, Hughes will likely need to be sheltered with a defensively sound partner.

Not only that, but look at who Makar gets to play with. That Avalanche team is going to be a monster in a couple years. 

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I'm going to give it to Kaako. If a dman is going to take it then it's Makar. If Quinn gets in the running, he has to be running our PP, so we will see how he's utilized.

Not that sold on Jack Hughes and their team really likes Nico Hischier. I expect Zajac to take some minutes from his too and Jack will be in a more sheltered role. He'll have some tough competition to surpass on his own team to get minutes, but if he does, then I'll be more optimistic towards him getting the Calder nomination.

Could you give some insight on why you think Makar is leaps and bounds better than Hughes?

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Could you give some insight on why you think Makar is leaps and bounds better than Hughes?

I don't think what I said would indicate that I'm suggesting Makar is "leaps and bounds" better than Hughes. I do think he's ahead of Hughes though hence if a dman takes it, it's more likely him.

Makar is a year older and played in a more intense situation and didn't look out of place. Colorado recently traded Barrie (maybe because Makar made them feel confident enough to do so) which opens up more ice time for Makar to step into. They have one of the hottest lines in the league (similar to our WCE) days that he will be feeding to on a nightly basis to pad his stats (let's face it, offensive stats generally are what takes the cake for the Calder).

So I'm not suggesting that Makar is the "better" player, but I do think he will be put in a better position to win the Calder. Now I've also added that it'll depend if Hughes will be running our PP which could help him out offensively and would be an added bonus that he's capable of doing so. He's going to have to surpass Edler (and to an extent Myers) and it'll depend on if we go back to a two dman unit.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Makar led UMass to it’s first ever frozen four appearance. Named Hockey East’s  player of the year, and beat Hughes in the Hobey Baker voting. 

Albeit, he’s a year older.

• Upvote 1