The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-season Poll #1

-SN-

Should the Canucks retire Luongo's number?   

346 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I voted No. He never even played half his NHL career in VAN and wanted to leave to go back to FLA. He was great when he was here, but I think the RoH would be better.   

agreed.  I  think this needs to be reserved for guys that spent all or nearly all of their careers here. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I voted No. He never even played half his NHL career in VAN and wanted to leave to go back to FLA. He was great when he was here, but I think the RoH would be better.   

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

agreed.  I  think this needs to be reserved for guys that spent all or nearly all of their careers here. 

I'm on the fence. Originally I thought this way, but then what about Bure? He played 7 years here and 5 elsewhere, but likely would've been more elsewhere had his career not been cut short due to injuries. Bure did change the landscape here during his time here, but Luongo is arguably the best goaltender we've ever had to date (at least the records suggest so).

I generally agree with what you're both saying about careers, but the Bure thing is throwing me off. Do you think someone like Edler should have his number retired after likely playing his entire career here? I think this might be far more polarizing than the idea of Luongo getting his number retired here. Luongo has a leg up in that while he didn't win a Cup here (no one has so far), he did win an Olympic Gold on home ice here which doesn't reflect on the Canucks, but it was done in Rogers, so curious if that would have any bearing on the decision too.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm on the fence. Originally I thought this way, but then what about Bure? He played 7 years here and 5 elsewhere, but likely would've been more elsewhere had his career not been cut short due to injuries. Bure did change the landscape here during his time here, but Luongo is arguably the best goaltender we've ever had to date (at least the records suggest so).

I generally agree with what you're both saying about careers, but the Bure thing is throwing me off. Do you think someone like Edler should have his number retired after likely playing his entire career here? I think this might be far more polarizing than the idea of Luongo getting his number retired here. Luongo has a leg up in that while he didn't win a Cup here (no one has so far), he did win an Olympic Gold on home ice here which doesn't reflect on the Canucks, but it was done in Rogers, so curious if that would have any bearing on the decision too.

Bure was our 1st HoF player tho, so thats a unique spot to hold. 

Lu was great here, but spent more time elsewhere and also is committed to a different team and city more than he is here. RoH for sure, but I can't make the leap to jersey retirement. 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Bure was our 1st HoF player tho, so thats a unique spot to hold. 

Lu was great here, but spent more time elsewhere and also is committed to a different team and city more than he is here. RoH for sure, but I can't make the leap to jersey retirement. 

And what if Luongo finds his way into the HoF at some point as well? Do we retire his number further down the road should this happen?

Roberto Luongo may have played most of his career in Florida but he played his best years in Vancouver. He's a former captain of this team, a HoF worthy player, and was an important part of the best Canucks team in franchise history. Luongo is also the Canucks all time leader in Wins and Shutouts, holds the second best GAA (behind Cory Schneider), and has played the second most minutes of any Canucks goalie besides Kirk McLean.

Yes, it's true he wanted out of Vancouver but can you blame him due to the circumstances? The team was entering a grueling rebuild, he was butting heads with John Tortorella, and there was the whole goal-tending controversy.

I am for retiring Luongo's number. Behind the Sedins, he was the third best player on the best Canucks team of all time, and he's going to the Hall of Fame... would be weird to snub him like that. I do think his number should be retired *AFTER* the Sedins. I think his career accomplishments warrant something bigger than the Ring of Honor.

Also, it would be really cool for him to get his number retired in the arena he won an Olympic gold medal too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Too common a number for goalies, plus it doesn't feel right to bypass McLean, who is rightfully in the ROH.

Why not? 

Luongo is on another level compared to McLean. 

Lu was an elite goalie throughout most of his career and in his prime a top 5 goaltender in the NHL.

He smashed a 32 year old record and is without a doubt the greatest goalie in canucks history. 

He should absolutely be ahead of McLean imo. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Why not? 

Luongo is on another level compared to McLean. 

Lu was an elite goalie throughout most of his career and in his prime a top 5 goaltender in the NHL.

He smashed a 32 year old record and is without a doubt the greatest goalie in canucks history. 

He should absolutely be ahead of McLean imo. 

You're underestimating how good McLean was for us.

• Upvote 1

He shattered most of the Canucks goaltending records.

I'd say yes, but probably not right away.  Could be a while before we retire his #1. 

He will probably get inducted to the HoF first then we retire his #. Kind of like how we did it we Bure.

Edited by Strombone

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, he's not going in as a Canuck. 

Lou sees himself as a Panther.  His number is retired there, and that’s a good thing.  He deserves it, and he deserves getting into the HHOF.  IMO, I don’t think Loui should have his number retired here, or be put into the ring of honour.  Yes, he’s clearly the best goalie we ever had, but he spent more years as a player in Florida than he did for us.  His honours should be with them.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Strombone said:

He shattered most of the Canucks goaltending records.

Linden is the only Canuck whose number is retired that hasn't or isn't going to the Hall of Fame.

I'd say yes, but probably not right away.  Could be a while before we retire his #1. 

He will probably get inducted to the HoF first then we retire his #. Kind of like how we did it we Bure.

The only number we’ve retired, that will be in the HHOF is Pavel’s #10.  Lou was great fir us, but he’s more a Panther than a Canuck.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The only number we’ve retired, that will be in the HHOF is Pavel’s #10.  Lou was great fir us, but he’s more a Panther than a Canuck.  

Oh yeah you're right. The information I got was wrong.

I'd argue that Luongo is at the top of almost all of the Canucks goaltending records and will be there for a long time. It could be at least decade or so before any other goalie comes close.

If we can retire Bure at 7 years with the team, then I think it should be okay to retire Luongo with also 7 years.

We had the worst streak of many different goaltenders, aka the goalie graveyard, then boom we got the best goalie in the world.

Just because he's more of a Panther doesn't mean he's any less of a Canuck. He did more in his 8 seasons with us than he did in his 11 seasons in Florida.

• Upvote 1