The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Media take stupid Pills?

Rate this topic

dpn1

10 hours ago, tas said:

it's not an article, and 'the canucks way' or whatever that website is called isn't canucks media (or media at all, for that matter). it's a blog post written by a blogger. 

if it isn't tsn/sportsnet/NHL.com/the athletic/a us network/the hockey news/postmedia, it's not an article written by a journalist, it's a meaningless opinion written by a nobody. 

I think you're giving the media too much credit here.  Very few sports media types are actual journalists.  Most are ex-sports people with no more qualifications than I have other than they may have played or coached in a major sports league and by osmosis have learned something about the game and the business of the game that they were involved with.  Others like Halford and Brough were bloggers.  They were in fact known as the Kurtenbloggers.  Although having listened to them off an on for 2 years, I don't think they know much but they sure try to be funny.  

13 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Found this article and can't believe what so called media print: unedited stories that just make them look stupid.

Vancouver Canucks where are they now: Markus Naslund

by Ben Steiner4 months ago Follow

This week on The Canuck Way’s “Where are they now?” series, we focus on former Vancouver Canucks captain and club legend Markus Naslund.

Markus Naslund played 16 NHL seasons, half of which were with the Vancouver Canucks. During his time on the West coast, he became an idol among fans, and played a crucial role in the once-dominant line of Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrisonand himself. That line led the Canucks for nearly five seasons, and earned the name the “West coast express” for their hard-hitting, determined style of play.

Naslund began his career in Sweden, playing for MODO hockey club as a junior before beginning his professional career with their SHL team. Interestingly, he is not the only Canucks legend to suit up for MODO, as only a few years later, the Sedins would grace the ice for the Swedish club.

From the town of Örnsköldsvik, Naslund was drafted 16th overall in the 1991 NHL entry draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins, but would not make his NHL debut until 1993; after a legal dispute between the NHL and Sweden Hockey.

He would play nearly three full seasons with the Penguins, before being traded to the Canucks where his career really took off. Vancouver gave up Russian Alek Stojanovfor Naslund, in what has gone down as one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history. Stojanvov only went on to score two NHL goals and retired at 29 after being dumped into the minor leagues.

Naslund went on to play for the Canucks until 2008, and led the blue and green to many playoff appearances. He was part of multiple cores as well, the first of which being made up of Messier, Bure and himself, the second being the aforementioned west coast express, and the third were the early days of the Sedins era. The Swedish superstar was known for his wicked wrist shot and stick handling during his playing days, where he scored 869 points through 1117 regular season appearances.

After nearly a decade with the Vancouver Canucks, he left as the clubs longest-tenured captain and points record holder. As a free agent, he signed a two year, eight million dollar deal with the New York Rangers to complete his North American hockey career. He retired after the 2009 season at age 35, and actually spent that season playing under future Canucks head coach John Tortorella. Naslund helped the Rangers to the 2009 eastern conference final, however, this was his last notable impact in the NHL.

Despite retiring from the North American scene, Naslund was not done playing just yet. He returned to where it all started in MODO and played alongside fellow Swedish legend Peter Forsberg for one more year, before finally hanging up his skates for good.

Other than his club hockey, he played many times for Sweden, winning two bronze medals and one silver medal at the world hockey championship, as well as a pair of world junior silver medals. He had one Olympic appearance which came in 2002, although the Swedes fell in the quarterfinals in that tournament.

After he finally ended his playing career, Naslund returned to Sweden and embarked into the world of philanthropy and hockey management. He founded a charity based out of his hometown which donated hockey opportunities and equipment to underprivileged children. He continues to run that organization today, and it has helped revitalize the hockey community in Örnsköldsvik.

During his time in Vancouver, Naslund got married and had three children. He expressed his desire to raise his children back in Sweden, and this led to some speculation that he may retire from the NHL early in order to have this happen. Of course, he did not return early, raising his kids early years in Vancouver. The family would return to Sweden in the offseason though, so the kids did get a very Swedish upbringing.

His son Alex Naslund, now 16 years old is playing for the MODO junior team and is looking to be drafted into the NHL in 2020. He has yet to play for the senior team, but this being his draft year, I would not be surprised if Alex Naslund sees the ice for MODO in the SHL.

Upon his playing retirement, Naslund remained very involved in hockey. He became the general manager of MODO and held that role for nearly three years. During that time, he returned to Vancouver on multiple occasions. One of which was very special.

Part way through the 2012 season he became the third of the Canucks players to have his number raised to the rafters. Later that year, seeing his success in his GM role in Sweden, there were rumours that Trevor Linden had approached him about a management job within Vancouver, however that never came to fruition.

One of the biggest challenges on returning to Sweden for the Naslund family was the transition from the big city of Vancouver, back to the Swedish small-town life. He said that technology has made the transition easier, although it was a bit of a shock for the kids to begin life in a small town. Since then the family has adjusted and has embraced life in the Swedish countryside.

In 2014 Naslund left his role at MODO  and began to really distance himself from hockey. Since 2014 the former Canucks star has entered the world of real estate development. This was and continues to be an effort to bring his town into the modernity of the 21st century Sweden. He has invested in multiple housing and apartment developments, as well as a nearby ski resort.

Naslund was a legend during his time as a Vancouver Canuck and is thought of as one of the most highly regarded players in franchise history. His goal scoring and game-changing skill encapsulated the west coast fanbase for nearly a decade. Besides being a dominant force on the ice, he was a great personality off the ice and is one of the most caring players ever to play for Vancouver.

I can't believe that a Canuck's media group could print that Alex Stojanov was a Russian Player when he is an Ontario Boy.

Smart like dump truck

• Haha 1

Regarding the stupid pills comment, sometimes they do indeed take these, other times it may be idiot pills, happy pills, grumpy pills, silly pills, ego pills and my personal favorite, sexy pills.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I've had a crappy day at work today, so I just want to point out that the only thing ironic going on here is your misuse of irony. 

noun. Dramatic or literary irony is defined as when an audience understands what's going on in a situation while the character is unaware of what is happening

Try again, Chuckles.  Try not to correct people when you are wrong.

Edited by Provost

5 hours ago, Provost said:

noun. Dramatic or literary irony is defined as when an audience understands what's going on in a situation while the character is unaware of what is happening

Try again, Chuckles.  Try not to correct people when you are wrong.

Sorry, but claiming dramatic irony is weak, at best. The site in question is considered media and also part of "the media":

"This is just some dumb blogging site that posts random stories... it isn’t “the media”."

The fact that you don't know this could be considered dramatic irony, although it would still be borderline.

Now, if you said anything about how the OP thought the site was a Canucks media group, when in fact it's a fairly well-known fan blog, well, then you're onto something. But you didn't and instead corrected his title and claimed it's not part of the media. Further, how your post reads is irony being used in place of saying the situation is funny, which is an all-too-common error for which Alanis Morissette is often blamed for having a large part in recent generations failing to know the difference.

Fwiw, you continuously correcting and being wrong is now drifting away from being ironic and into just plain hypocrisy, so I'd watch correcting people when you're incorrect; especially when it comes to irony, as the nuances are challenging and easily misunderstood and misused.

Keep trying, tho, if you wish. 

• Wat 1

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was there ever any integrity? Back in the day when there was just a daily paper, can't help wondering about the degree of corruption/manipulation & general bullsh*t spewed by the MSM.

Orwell wrote the classic "1984" in 1948(he reversed the digits), after having worked for the BBC for part of the WW2 yrs. Dude wasn't joking.

The thought police are scary no doubt...but not as scary as the “wrong nationality police” or the spelling police for that matter. 

Was still a fun read because it was about Naslund.   My favoure quote on how lopsided this trade was Naslund went on to get more first all star berths then Stajanov got goals.  Bad draft puck recovered with a top five all time trade.  Curiously we are the only team in the top  ten lopsided trades twice - for different reasons.   Neely the other one of course

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Was there ever any integrity? Back in the day when there was just a daily paper, can't help wondering about the degree of corruption/manipulation & general bullsh*t spewed by the MSM.

Orwell wrote the classic "1984" in 1948(he reversed the digits), after having worked for the BBC for part of the WW2 yrs. Dude wasn't joking.

The thought police are scary no doubt...but not as scary as the “wrong nationality police” or the spelling police for that matter. 

Was still a fun read because it was about Naslund.   My favoure quote on how lopsided this trade was Naslund went on to get more first all star berths then Stajanov got goals.  Bad draft pick recovered with a top five all time trade.  Curiously we are the only team in the top  ten lopsided trades twice - for different reasons.   Neely the other one of course

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Was still a fun read because it was about Naslund.   My favoure quote on how lopsided this trade was Naslund went on to get more first all star berths then Stajanov got goals.  Bad draft pick recovered with a top five all time trade.  Curiously we are the only team in the top  ten lopsided trades twice - for different reasons.   Neely the other one of course

Did you know Hitler's speech writer was a grammar Nazis? *Rim shot*

Sorry for the short thread derailment. 

I would imagine we'll see Nazzy this year at some point? I miss that guy.

• Haha 1

When I clicked on this, I was hoping it was about the Canucks shorting their chances at the cup by trying to get better now. Eastern media watching The leafs rebuild for 5 debacled decades has their numbers off.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Did you know Hitler's speech writer was a grammar Nazis? *Rim shot*

Sorry for the short thread derailment. 

I would imagine we'll see Nazzy this year at some point? I miss that guy.

This thread derailed as soon as the title was made...could have just been a walk down Naslund love thread instead - and was a little bit I still enjoyed the read.

Naslund has a Canuck record that will take long time to break - that is he’s actually had three first all-star team selections - not many players in history can say that - and his were also consecutive.   Missed out on an Art Ross by a point and close to a Hart trophy to go with his Lindsay award.     For some perspective Crosby who will go down as one of the best centers ever has four...and Ovi who will go down as the best L winger has 6 first teams.   Bure has one first team and two second team selections - all three of these guys deservedly are top 100 players all-time. 

For a while at least Naslund rose to the top in his position - and was a top three player league wide during that stretch too.  Only the Sedins can rival that as all-time Canucks and Crosby was out during their reign at the top or they might not have made it either (top players) - but didn’t do it for as long either - and didn’t do it in the heart of the dead puck era too.

I’m glad Zubov finally was recognized by the HHOF - 1000 points was doable in another era - he got 74 after the lock-out at 35.... if Naslund got 1000 points maybe the HHOF might have come calling too - definitely would playing today.  

Edit:  sign Boeser already - best shot I’ve seen since Naslund, and if he plays 15 years I bet he scores over 400 goals...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This thread derailed as soon as the title was made...could have just been a walk down Naslund love thread instead - and was a little bit I still enjoyed the read.

Naslund has a Canuck record that will take long time to break - that is he’s actually had three first all-star team selections - not many players in history can say that - and his were also consecutive.   Missed out on an Art Ross by a point and close to a Hart trophy to go with his Lindsay award.     For some perspective Crosby who will go down as one of the best centers ever has four...and Ovi who will go down as the best L winger has 6 first teams.   Bure has one first team and two second team selections - all three of these guys deservedly are top 100 players all-time. 

For a while at least Naslund rose to the top in his position - and was a top three player league wide during that stretch too.  Only the Sedins can rival that as all-time Canucks and Crosby was out during their reign at the top or they might not have made it either (top players) - but didn’t do it for as long either - and didn’t do it in the heart of the dead puck era too.

I’m glad Zubov finally was recognized by the HHOF - 1000 points was doable in another era - he got 74 after the lock-out at 35.... if Naslund got 1000 points maybe the HHOF might have come calling too - definitely would playing today.  

I didn't know about these stats, so thanks. Amazing. We're so lucky to have had him as our captain. Pure class, and incredibly exciting to watch. I bet we see him this year, and I can't wait to hear the cheers.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:28 AM, dpn1 said:

Found this article and can't believe what so called media print: unedited stories that just make them look stupid.

Vancouver gave up Russian Alek Stojanovfor Naslund, in what has gone down as one of the most lopsided trades in NHL history.

I can't believe that a Canuck's media group could print that Alex Stojanov was a Russian Player when he is an Ontario Boy.

Yes...the media do take stupid pills.

Its not like there is a thing called the "internet" to verify anything.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I didn't know about these stats, so thanks. Amazing. We're so lucky to have had him as our captain. Pure class, and incredibly exciting to watch. I bet we see him this year, and I can't wait to hear the cheers.

Me too.  I must confess at the time I didn’t like him for our Captain, it took awhile to get used to his dead fish media persona - after Linden it wasn’t easy to take (and won’t even get into the Messier thing).  But after this long I’ve come to realize he wasn’t that bad - always loved him as a player - but thought Jovo would have been a better C.

When Henrik got the C I was like here we go again - but he eventually won me over.  

Im glad we didn’t named an interim Captain.  It’s absolutely important that you get the right one and don’t just go for the low hanging fruit vet just for the sake of having one (that’s you Edler - or god forbid Sutter).   It’s wonderful that now we have some suitable candidates, optics have Horvat right at the front and I’d surprised if he’s not named H Sedins successor.  The timing is right.  Bet he gets the C the first home game of the season and the crowd goes wild.  It’s time the club goes back to its North American roots.   Swedish players will forever be part of our past thanks to greats like Naslund, the Sedins and now EP.....but the Captain of Captains will always be Linden until one of these guys wins a cup.  His leadership and playing career reverberates to this day (Markstrom that’s you - a Linden trade by-product).   Certainly feel good about Horvat making his own stamp on this club.   Naslund certainly did too.  Third best team we’ve ever had, and in 2002 only the Canucks were a roadblock to that stacked Detroit team .... 

32 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Yes...the media do take stupid pills.

Its not like there is a thing called the "internet" to verify anything.

Well when the person writing the story probably was in diapers back then stuff like this happens.  If you don’t know the teams history and the players on it yes the internet’s an easy source.   Agree that the media takes stupid pills - for most part it’s a recycled spin on whomever breaks the story first.  

Stajanov actually was a pretty touted pick at the time - a power forward that if we had the CDC back then we’d be stoked to have and be convincing ourselves he’s the next Keith woodchooper (can never spell his name right Tachuck the sound of a hatchet making kindling).  I’d bet some of us would have hated the deal for Naslund.   S Antoski was off to Philly too, after showing he could beat the crap out of just about anyone.   Two tough as nails first rounders gone before we got to see them turn into a Tochett or Wendel Clark?!  

Funny that the author didn’t touch into that .... back then we had high hopes for both these guys...instead it’s a nice story about Naslund.   Who was a great player.