The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck the Crow MIA

nucklehead

Canuck the Crow, the Vancouver bird known for his lack of fear of humans, has gone missing.Shawn Bergman, who calls himself Canuck’s human friend, says the crow has not been seen since Friday, which is unusual for him.

Bergman put out an emotional plea on social media asking for everyone to be on the lookout for his feathery friend.

“I want my buddy to come home, and if there is anybody out there who has taken him, please let him go,” he said.

“Please help me bring Canuck home safe.”In July,

Canuck became a federally protected bird and has been wearing a numbered band that identifies him as a wild bird and not a pet.

Canuck has made headlines for riding the SkyTrain and working a charity gig at the PNE and is known to frequent various East Vancouver McDonald’s locations in search of snacks.

Perhaps his best-known caper involves disrupting a crime scene.

More recently, Canuck and his partner Cassiar have become parents — with chicks born earlier this spring.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5846223/canuck-the-crow-missing-vancouver/

Especially sad as he just became a dad :(

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Great horned owls eat them.

I cleaned out over 100 pairs of clipped wings from my gutters like 15 years ago.

That was ONE year's worth.

The owls shear them off and eat the rest.

I took this  a couple months ago.

I could have touched him, really low in a 15 ft tree. 

Its surprising that Owls show up DT. This pic was taken close to the the intersection of Davie and Pacific. 

IMG_20181129_185954.thumb.jpg.b2dfcdf916eb654b34d0ceaed0228945.jpg

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm all for protecting animals, but this is getting ridiculous. Where's the outrage for all the squashed crows I see on roadways? Oh the humanity!

I wan't to tag another Crow in that area with a leg strap so he looks like 'Canuck'. Then tell people that the fame had gotten to much for him. After a brief stint in a Hollywood church for the stars he has decided to live a life of seclusion. You might see him hopping around in the area but he won't be the same, don't approach him, he doesn't want the fast life anymore. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I wan't to tag another Crow in that area with a leg strap so he looks like 'Canuck'. Then tell people that the fame had gotten to much for him. After a brief stint in a Hollywood church for the stars he has decided to live a life of seclusion. You might see him hopping around in the area but he won't be the same, don't approach him, he doesn't want the fast life anymore. 

Latest footage of Canuck is worrisome. He's clearly been drinking.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

I never knew this became a big thing in Vancouver.... I do remember watching the News and seeing that guy on the bike and the crow trying to ride his backpack in the past, but didn't know it was because this crow was some idol to Vancouver.... But when I saw the video of it in the McDonald's that was disgusting, people go to a place to eat and they have to deal with a crow flying around and hopping around on their tables and everyone thinks it's funny.... I'm just shocked that a crow has gotten this much attention :picard:

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I never knew this became a big thing in Vancouver.... I do remember watching the News and seeing that guy on the bike and the crow trying to ride his backpack in the past, but didn't know it was because this crow was some idol to Vancouver.... But when I saw the video of it in the McDonald's that was disgusting, people go to a place to eat and they have to deal with a crow flying around and hopping around on their tables and everyone thinks it's funny.... I'm just shocked that a crow has gotten this much attention :picard:

Thing is, some get it some don't.

As an animal lover, I've followed this story closely as I've been a fan for some time.

The crow is federally protected and has become quite a deal here in Vancouver.  

Crows are super intelligent...I "had" one at work and we had floor to ceiling windows...he'd "knock" on the window with his beak to get my attention.  People at work couldn't believe it.  I had a coworker who was a real ass...he was giving us all grief as he was failing to adequately do his job and it was falling onto others to clean up his messes.  The crow was in the parking lot one day as Tarek the turd was leaving and we were having a discussion that carried on out the door....it was getting heated, as he was trying to slither away (from his responsibilities) and I needed some answers from him.  He got in his truck and took off.

Next time he was in, what unfolded was quite amazing.  As he left, my crow was on the overhang over the front door and dropped a rock on his head.  It was awesome.  If others hadn't witnessed it they'd likely never believe me.

They have great facial recognition and can also perform tasks beyond one dimensional thinking stuff.  Like making a tool out of a coat hanger to retrieve food out of a tube.

Shawn (his friend who's missing him) has developed a connection with this bird (his mate and his babies TOO) over time.  It's refreshing to see some empathy and compassion in this rat race of a world where people don't care about other people at times, let alone animals.  I find it great.  Sometimes I prefer animals over people so I totally get it.

If you don't understand...that's ok too.  But it's simply a matter of opinion.   If you have a dog/cat/whatever it's just a matter of having gotten used to those animals as "pets/friends".  Some people eat dogs and think it's weird to have them as pets.  It's about how we are programmed to think about animals...why do we value some over others?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I think he first got famous for stealing a knife from a crime scene.

Crows are super smart and this one likes to mess with the humans.

• Upvote 1