The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, gameburn said:

But what if he is picked up by Edmonton?  To me Eriksson or Schaller are more obvious choices. 

My fear is that some weird idea about "clearly defined roles for lines" is what's going on here.  If you look at the 12 guys who are on relatively set lines -- according to the most recent practice -- the fourth line has Beagle, Motte and Schaller on it.  Basically the same line as last year that was pretty much incapable of scoring.  And because Baertschi is not in the lineup, I think the 3rd line suffers too.  I'm not convinced that Pearson is top 6 material or even top-9.  He has not been great for two seasons now. 

On the other hand, if Baertschi is still recovering from his injury,  this makes a lot of sense: sneak him through and build him back up in Utica, then bring him up later.  Because you are right: there will be no problem sending Motte or Eriksson or even Schaller down at any point.

Edmonton doesn't have the cap space, they would have to restructure to make it work. There are very few teams with the roster space and cap space to claim him.  I don't disagree with you about Pearson but they seem to have him locked in on the 2nd line.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Must be one of Eriksson or Schaller :P.

Kidding aside, Horvat is the by far the most likely but I could still see them going with Edler.

I wouldn't be upset if it were Edler but I can see it being Horvat.

7 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Must be one of Eriksson or Schaller :P.

Kidding aside, Horvat is the by far the most likely but I could still see them going with Edler.

Hopefully he doesn't get caught with his pants down in the next 24 hours or he'll lose the job like A.M. in Toronto :lol:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 131313 said:

Edmonton doesn't have the cap space, they would have to restructure to make it work. There are very few teams with the roster space and cap space to claim him.  I don't disagree with you about Pearson but they seem to have him locked in on the 2nd line.

I looked up the cap stuff on Capfriendly… lol you are right: Edmonton is as up the creek as we are.  How they can spend that money for that team is incredible.

If someone claims Baer, & when Schaller is done at end-season, there's 5.2 mill AAV space, up front.

With perhaps only Markstrom & AG to sign, next 2 yrs are cap-kosher. We only have ONE more season of Lu's recapture penalty, where JB has to limbo gracefully under the cap bar.

Finally adding size, & getting the books in order(key as the season brings trade-opportunities, & inevitable injuries). This lineup will be easier to adjust(if necc) at the fringes.

• Upvote 3