The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

They are at $1.5mil of capspace with 23 contracts.  Gagner clearing only saves them another mil, so they're still ~$1.1 short.  Plus as mentioned, at 48 contracts.

They could certainly use him, as he'd easily make their top-6.

But Baer would supplant another of those 23 guys, saving a further $1m... I don't particularly care enough to do the actual math but I'm pretty sure they could get within a RCH of making work :lol:

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

It seems we are going to remain as one of the lowest goal scoring teams in the league.

I don't know of any team in the league that did more than us to improve scoring.  We added Miller, Ferland, Meyers, Hughes, how much more were you hoping for?

Our top 6 forwards and top 4 D units, as well as both Power play units are far better equipped to score goals this year than the past couple.  Our bottom 6 and bottom pairing are not there yet to provide scoring, we need a few more pieces before we have a top9.  Sven Baertschi and his 30 points are not really moving that needle.

Baertschi has scored 23 goals in the past 2 seasons combined, lets stop acting like we cut Ovechkin.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, J-23 said:

One of the lowest goal scoring teams in the league, but yeah let’s trade away the goal scorers and keep the 4th liners.

Which goal scorers?  Goldobin has 15 goals in 2 years, Baer has 23.  Neither produce enough for our top 6, or can play in the bottom 6, so they got cut.  They are not good enough to justify trying to make a 3rd scoring line either.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

But Baer would supplant another of those 23 guys, saving a further $1m... I don't particularly care enough to do the actual math but I'm pretty sure they could get within a RCH of making work :lol:

Baertschi simply takes Gagner's roster spot, but most of his cap hit stays.  Their bottom-five forwards don't even make the cap relief level to cover if they waive a couple other guys and bring up ELCs.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if they waive/demote someone they likely gain that +/-...just saying.

They have $1.75 IN CAP.  Demote, say, Gagner, and they get just over a mill, now $2.8 or $2.85 whatever it is.

Sven makes over $3 mill. Does not fit.

The math is simple...

Baertschi is younger, more skilled, produces more, has chemistry with some players. Yet, Eriksson is still with the team. I'm not sure there's any other reason, other than Eriksson  makes $6MM. Sending a player who makes that much to the minors makes upper management look inept at judging talent. Eriksson will keep getting the chances, because they've invested a lot in him. I agree with most that it was a terrible signing. Heck, I'd guess Benning also regrets that transaction, but it is what it is. Eriksson didn't live up to his side of the deal (30-goal scorer). They've tried to trade him, but he makes too much.

I'm hopeful that Eriksson had a bit of a wake up call over the off season, with playing and having success at the Worlds and then the comments. I'm giving him another chance, because he's not going anywhere (yet). Maybe they're going to give Loui a bunch of games to see what they have this year in him? If he sucks, maybe they waive him then and bring Baertschi back up? (assuming he clears) 

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Baertschi simply takes Gagner's roster spot, but most of his cap hit stays.  Their bottom-five forwards don't even make the cap relief level to cover if they waive a couple other guys and bring up ELCs.

Are they at 23 men with or without Gagner?

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

They have $1.75 IN CAP.  Demote, say, Gagner, and they get just over a mill, now $2.8 or $2.85 whatever it is.

Sven makes over $3 mill. Does not fit.

The math is simple...

How many men on roster after the demote Gagner?

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Baertschi is younger, more skilled, produces more, has chemistry with some players. Yet, Eriksson is still with the team. I'm not sure there's any other reason, other than Eriksson  makes $6MM. Sending a player who makes that much to the minors makes upper management look inept at judging talent. Eriksson will keep getting the chances, because they've invested a lot in him. I agree with most that it was a terrible signing. Heck, I'd guess Benning also regrets that transaction, but it is what it is. Eriksson didn't live up to his side of the deal (30-goal scorer). They've tried to trade him, but he makes too much.

I'm hopeful that Eriksson had a bit of a wake up call over the off season, with playing and having success at the Worlds and then the comments. I'm giving him another chance, because he's not going anywhere (yet). Maybe they're going to give Loui a bunch of games to see what they have this year in him? If he sucks, maybe they waive him then and bring Baertschi back up? (assuming he clears) 

Eriksson is not playing, at least to start the year. They thought Baer needed to get some games in to get back up to speed and didn't have him in the starting lineup.

Eriksson can sit in the press box, Baer needed to play. It makes more sense in sending Baer down in this case to get those games in rather than sitting.
I think Baer is going to end up clearing, getting some games in in Utica and will be back up here soon. 

If he's claimed? Well, it's too bad but it's not a huge loss.

We not only need a starting lineup, we need depth that we can call up.

By putting Baer on waivers while 60(?) other players are on waivers, we have a better chance of keeping him as depth than if we tried to send him down at a later/slower time.

If we lose him, we lose him; but we gain cap space and a roster spot if we do.

And Gaud can still be sent down and called back without worrying about waivers.

Like aGent's picture of Rouss showed (at least that's what I thought he meant), it is more like Baer was shoved down the lineup past 3rd LW.

Definitely not a 4th liner and now he is where he should be, as depth for a top 6 callup.

IMO, Rouss is an earlier callup to 2nd LW than Baer as he brings the grit as well as the get up and go.

So Baer was put on waivers now because he would most likely not clear later.

Actually, I was a bit surprised we didn't try and ram a couple others through on this busy day (e.g. Schaller, Fantenberg (can he be put on waivers while on concussion protocol?)

• Cheers 2