The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I hate to say it but he may need a change of scenery, has gotten way to comfortable playing close to home. Its such a big year for him.  

He's progressed every year and had a solid year last season, in a primarily defensive role.

• Upvote 1

Still the biggest backer of JV.

I didn't see the actual videos.  I do know that the likelihood of every player on the teaming ready to go and killing first day camp is minimal.  Obviously every player felt it today, obviously there's a ton of players that take it off season training more seriously than others.

I won't put much stock in to it but if you're not slightly apprehensive about the reports coming out about his current state than you're not paying attention.

The pre-season will really be the tell we need to see.  I don't expect Green to go easy on anyone this year especially with the amount of actual skilled bodies we have all of a sudden.  if JV is not ready to go he's not ready to go and if he hasn't figured it out by now than the saddest thing is that our first homegrown and drafted talent in forever is basically just taking up a roster spot.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Ok... but a lot of us here were saying we thought they were fitness related.... based on evidence that we had gathered from the media presser, and Green's quote about JV being in group C. Again, not speculation. You can call it making an assumption based on very strong evidence if you would like. Looks like it was a correct assumption. 

No, a lot of you said TG directly said they were fitness related, which he did not.  Speculate all you want (and I don't disagree it could very likely be fitness related), but don't state it as fact.

There's enough chicken little here without disinformation.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No, a lot of you said TG directly said they were fitness related, which he did not.  Speculate all you want (and I don't disagree it could very likely be fitness related), but don't state it as fact.

Why do you care so much? People are going to speculate, that's half the fun of sports, movies, tv shows etc..

Oh, and it's obviously fitness related.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not once did I state it as a fact. 

I provided evidence, and explained why that evidence led ME to believe it was fitness related. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

So, my thoughts on Virtanen after watching the full session.

He clearly is not in as good a shape as say Beagle, Miller, Horvat or some of the others.

He was definately gassed after every drill, and was consistently behind the pack in the bag skate, while starting in the lead. 

In the first two sessions,  I rarely saw a player take a knee during the practice.  Jake was consistantly on his knee, or bent over.

The problem I think, is that he just doesn't seem to take it seriously.  For instance, Stetcher screws up a drill or doesn't execute well enough and he takes it out on the glass.  Benn and Beagle are battling each other hard. Not a lot of smiles in the first 2 groups.  Jake on the other hand can be seen talking with the trainers or coaching staff, often times all smiles or a couple chuckles.  Granted the chatter could be relative to what they are doing, but I didn't see any of the other Canuck regulars doing that.  They were all business, Jake seemed like it was a day in the clubhouse.  He then completely blows a drill, and then on his way back to the group he is smiling and chuckling about it.  I didn't see many players blow a drill.  Execute poorly, fall down..

sure, but Jake's mistake was like he was running a different drill then everyone else and then sloughs it off.

Idk, I feel his conditioning likely isn't far off, the real problem I think is his attitude and general aloofness or perhaps immaturity.

Anyways, my thoughts and observations for what it's worth.

Image result for how disappointing gif

i take it all as green challenging jake to work harder and maybe improve his attitude. the fact that he didn’t want anyone to read more into it than that. green wants to get the most out of each player.  he knows what works with jake. lets watch his progress, instead of sending him to utica or elsewhere yet. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

Camp was a ton of fun today, can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

Noteable Observations:

Beagle - so damn impressive, his conditioning was unmatched by anyone and never seemed gassed, even in the bag skate.

Stetcher-looks like he is ready to go and all business.

Marky-moving well, seemed like he hadn't missed a beat.

Gaudette-looked solid, seems improved and a little bigger or maybe thicker.

Miller-worked hard, kept pace with Bo, no problem, steong on the puck

Pearson-another player in great shape, seemed a little confused with his partner in some of the drills, but some other drills were real fluid

Jordie Benn-can't wait to see this guy in game action, big time intensity on the ice, quicker than I thoight he was too.

Biega-what can you say, he always brings it

Horvat-didn't really standout, was just solid all thw qay through.

Joulevi-liked him, just like I liked him years ago at prospecr camp in Shawnigan.  Just clearly needs some practice and game time to get up to speed.

Goldobin-doesn't look like much hs changed

Tanev and Edler-stable vets, no worries

Petterson-looked a little wobbly and unbalanced sometimes, got called out by Green and picked it up roght away.

That's all that really comes to mind, if you have a specific inquiry, let me know and I will try to recall from today or watch tomorrow.

Ferkland?

20 minutes ago, J-P said:

If you haven't seen the video, what Green actually said about Jake was:

- Jake was in group C since he didn't meet off-season goals

- he refused to dig into what those goals were, between him and Jake

- he didn't want people reading more into it than it was

- he sees Jake as a big part of the team's future

So no, there are no info on fitness goals etc.

On the other hand - the whole thing about group C and not wanting people to read "more into it" sounds fishy to me, but then I'm just speculating of course :)

Yes - package him up with a pick for Honka or Puljujarvi

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Ferkland?

Honestly didn't notice him too much, neither good or bad.  He was skating mostly with Petterson, so hopefully we start to see them click a little more in the coming days.  Tomorrow and Sunday offers some scrimmages, so that should be fun.

Edited by Knucklehd