The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

Not getting it by the simple fact that he has top 6 talent but doesn’t want to “earn it”. Just because he did great in a bottom 6 role (and I’d say “better” as he was inconsistent and I do like him), doesn’t mean that’s “enough”. He was a 6th overall pick who has 25 goal ability and a lot to offer. The lack of professionalism he’s shown by not giving the effort in the offseason now 3 out of 4 years does suggest he’s not getting it. We didn’t draft him to be a 3rd/4th line winger. Now if that’s where he ends up because that’s his ceiling so be it, but you have to be your best to know where your ceiling is. He isn’t giving his best. Do you think if he came to camp in great shape (like Bo and Petey have), showing he was really committed this offseason people or the coaches would be on him? No, in fact he’d get a lot more rope because it would show he’s motivated and cares. His actions suggest the opposite.

I'm curious.  What did he do in the off season?  Got pics?  I'd love to see them.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm curious.  What did he do in the off season?  Got pics?  I'd love to see them.

How would I have pics? 

Must be the ol suicide chicken wing eating offseason goal Jake failed! Yep that’s it!

Green set a goal for Jake to be able to eat 45 suicide wings in one sitting. Sadly, right after fitness testing Jake informed Green that he only could manage 41 in one sitting, and as such, barely missed his goal. 

He was very disappointed as he missed his goal by 4 wings, and its expected of all pro athletes in the offseason to learn to manage 45 suicide wings. This is an imperative part of being a professional hockey player, fitness doesn’t matter really, wings do! 

As such, Green wanted to send him a message about his offseason goals. He must reach them and exceed them if he wants to be an NHL player, as wings will determine how successful he is on the ice. Its just a coincidence that the issue arose after fitness testing as pro athletes offseason goals have nothing to actually do with fitness. 

Are you for real?

Edited by Freddy40

1 minute ago, gurn said:

The issue here is not Jake's conditioning.

The issue is people have stated that Green said it was conditioning and that Jake admitted it. Those statements are false.

While Jakes conditioning can be inferred to be what was the "goal not met" :

At no time did Jake or Green make the statement that people keep repeating.

Well I think all signs kinda point to it being some kind of physical goal that wasn't met. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's averaged 22-25 minutes per game over the last 5 years. You guys are cherry picking a year that Winnipeg was very deep defensively...

Morrow got to play 40 games last season because of injuries.  

21:40 over the past 5 years.  Over those years Trouba and Morrissey gradually earned more ice time.  They were deeper back then with Enstrom also in the mix.  Four season ago Morrissey was 6th playing under 16 minutes now Morissey plays over 22 minutes.

Edited by mll

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well I think all signs kinda point to it being some kind of physical goal that wasn't met. 

And I mostly agree, but I don't think Jake missed by much.

However

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

Not getting it by the simple fact that he has top 6 talent but doesn’t want to “earn it”. Just because he did great in a bottom 6 role (and I’d say “better” as he was inconsistent and I do like him), doesn’t mean that’s “enough”. He was a 6th overall pick who has 25 goal ability and a lot to offer. The lack of professionalism he’s shown by not giving the effort in the offseason now 3 out of 4 years does suggest he’s not getting it. We didn’t draft him to be a 3rd/4th line winger. Now if that’s where he ends up because that’s his ceiling so be it, but you have to be your best to know where your ceiling is. He isn’t giving his best. Do you think if he came to camp in great shape (like Bo and Petey have), showing he was really committed this offseason people or the coaches would be on him? No, in fact he’d get a lot more rope because it would show he’s motivated and cares. His actions suggest the opposite.

You do realize a lot of guys work their way up the lines right? The fact that Bertuzzi was almost given up on before he exploded into the nhl. 

Failing to meet lofty expectations from the club, Gillies once said of Bertuzzi, "If you're built like a freight train, you can't drive around like a Volkswagen."[

His future coach with the Vancouver CanucksMarc Crawford, passed on Bertuzzi during the draft while he was general manager of the Cornwall Royals; he has recalled not selecting him due to "maturity issues" and that he was "a big kid who hadn't grown into his body yet."[

Sound familiar? 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

You do realize a lot of guys work their way up the lines right? The fact that Bertuzzi was almost given up on before he exploded into the nhl. 

Failing to meet lofty expectations from the club, Gillies once said of Bertuzzi, "If you're built like a freight train, you can't drive around like a Volkswagen."[

His future coach with the Vancouver CanucksMarc Crawford, passed on Bertuzzi during the draft while he was general manager of the Cornwall Royals; he has recalled not selecting him due to "maturity issues" and that he was "a big kid who hadn't grown into his body yet."[

Sound familiar? 

I like Jake fan boi so settle down. It doesn’t mean the criticism of him 4 years into his career coming to camp again out of shape when he should have learned, is unwarranted. He’s a grown man now not an 18 yr old rookie who doesn’t know better or know what the expectations are. You can pretend it’s acceptable, I don’t agree, nor did Green apparently. 

PS he’s no Bertuzzi or Cam Neely. Doesn’t have the hands of Bert nor the hands and drive of Neely. Can he be a 25 goal player, sure but not by coming to camp out of shape. And his rope is getting to the point of being gone with this franchise soon if he doesn’t get it soon  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Awe but you were talking about his fitness.....I couldnt resist.....

I should grow up?....but you can run down a young man that is probably in better shape then most of us on cdc.....so maybe take a step back and let camp finish or atleast get to game time before you lynch the guy.....

He’s a pro athlete he should be in better shape than anyone in CDC, that’s what he’s paid for isn’t it?

Isn’t it his job to COME TO CAMP in shape? This isn’t the 70s when guys smoked in the dressing room and ate hot dogs between periods buddy. Expectations are different 

Edited by Freddy40

2 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

I like Jake fan boi so settle down. It doesn’t mean the criticism of him 4 years into his career coming to camp again out of shape when he should have learned, is unwarranted. He’s a grown man now not an 18 yr old rookie who doesn’t know better or know what the expectations are. You can pretend it’s acceptable, I don’t agree, nor did Green apparently. 

PS he’s no Bertuzzi or Cam Neely. Doesn’t have the hands of Bert nor the hands and drive of Neely. Can he be a 25 goal player, sure but not by coming to camp out of shape. And his rope is getting to the point of being gone with this franchise soon if he doesn’t get it soon  

You act like you know for a fact it's his fitness.....are you the water boy? Maybe you know something the rest of us don't.....

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

You act like you know for a fact it's his fitness.....are you the water boy? Maybe you know something the rest of us don't.....

Go read my post about chicken wings. That’s actually the goal he missed. Green expected him to be able to eat more chicken wings in one sitting as that’s a typical offseason goal for a pro hockey player 

laughable man, your denial is laughable 

are you related to him? Sure seems like it lol

Edited by Freddy40
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

He’s a pro athlete he should be in better shape than anyone in CDC, that’s what he’s paid for isn’t it?

Isn’t it his job to COME TO CAMP in shape? This isn’t the 70s when guys smoked in the dressing room and ate hot dogs between periods buddy. Expectations are different 

How you know his not in shape?geez no one has come out and say his out of shape....

also might add coaches have told Jake to add weight then realized oops that was the wrong way to go and then told him to slime down and he did and they are still playing with his widget trying to find that perfect size for him.....that takes time 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

And I mostly agree, but I don't think Jake missed by much.

However

Yeah that's true. Its the Canucks fan base people are going to overreact. I tend to believe Jake when he says he wasn't far off. But there has been concerns about Jake's maturity since his rookie season so I can understand where people can get fed up.

I mean a year or two ago I suggested in the Virtanen thread it might be time to look at what you can get for him as a former 6th overall pick, and I was never really a fan of the pick, so full disclosure I've been guilty of it too. At some point its kind of a shame to see such a physically gifted guy not really grab the bull by the horns.

But he's still fairly young & he's improved, I think he'll continue to be an NHL player for a number of years just based on his physical ability if nothing else. Its a big year for him I'm excited/curious to see what he can bring. 

6 minutes ago, Freddy40 said:

Go read my post about chicken wings. That’s actually the goal he missed. Green expected him to be able to eat more chicken wings in one sitting as that’s a typical offseason goal for a pro hockey player 

laughable man, your denial is laughable 

are you related to him? Sure seems like it lol

So sounds like they wanted him heavier.....if what you say is true

Edited by RowdyCanuck