The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toes gives Bo the nod on captaincy

Rate this topic

Canckelhead

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have to say I think people are making way too big a deal on a letter. 

I disagree, unless you mean Rush and his "worst thread if the year". 

A Canucks captain is not something to take lightly, and it has to be the right pick. Nothing against Nazzy, Lou, and Henrik, they were all great in their own right, but Bo as our captain will bring some serious heart and soul into our team for years to come, like Linden did. It's kinda a big deal, especially on our 50th.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I have to say I think people are making way too big a deal on a letter. 

That and no where in the article does Toews 'gives the nod' about the Bo and the captaincy - he just admires Bo's two-way game.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

What’s he supposed to say? 

"When asked if there was a younger player in the league whom he admires, the Chicago Blackhawks centre did not hesitate to come up for an answer."

It seems to me that he could've chosen anybody else...

Edited by Rubik
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Saw this at the end of the article and added to above, but some more high praise from Toews for a Canuck. 

- What does Toews think of Vancouver’s Pettersson? “He’s the next incarnation of (Pavel) Datsyuk. He’s just so tricky.”

Edited by 'NucK™

10 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Cause I know how much some of you hate links.. :)

Canucks' Horvat gets Toews nod as new Captain Serious

CHICAGO — Could there be a Captain Serious in Vancouver?

Jonathan Toews seems to thinks so. When asked if there was a younger player in the league whom he admires, the Chicago Blackhawks centre did not hesitate to come up for an answer.

“I always kind of recognize the guys who do have a ton of skill but are playing a two-way game and aren’t filling the net or getting the points every single night,” Toews said during Thursday’s Player Media Tour. “Bo Horvat is a guy who I like because of the way he works. If you go head-to-head with a centreman like that, you’re not going to have an easy night.”

It’s the kind of compliment that should make Horvat an easy choice to wear the ‘C’ with the Canucks this season.

“I think definitely it would be an unbelievable honour,” said Horvat, who scored a career-best 27 goals and 61 points last season.

The captaincy in Vancouver has been vacant ever since Henrik Sedin retired at the end of the 2017-18 season. Horvat, who is 24 years old, said there is no rush to anoint someone new. But with the team looking to take that step towards making the playoffs, having an official leader could come in handy.

“We added some good depth guys, some good core guys,” he said of the off-season moves that brought forwards J.T. Miller and Micheal Ferland, as well as defencemen Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn, to Vancouver. “It shows that (GM Jim Benning) wants to win and he wants to take that next step. For a young player going into Year 6 already, I want to take that next step too. I want to make the playoffs.”

CAPTAIN CRUSHING BURGERS

What did Horvat make of the Twitter pics that jokingly compared Elias Pettersson’s off-season physical transformation to that of Captain America?

“I was like ‘geezus.’ I wonder if I’m going to be able to still push him around,” said Horvat, laughing. “He does look beefier. Hopefully it’s good weight. Hopefully, he didn’t crush burgers all summer.”

Indeed, after leading the team with 28 goals and 66 points in just 71 games, a lot will be expected of Pettersson. But while the expectations are daunting, Horvat doesn’t believe his teammate will be affected.

“They always talk about the sophomore slump,” said Horvat. “I went through it. I’m not going to say it doesn’t exist. But some other players, it just doesn’t faze them at all. (Pettersson) knows what he needs to do. He’s smart that way. I don’t think it’s going to bother him.”

Thank you, Nuck.