The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordie Benn | #8 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yeah he was pretty stable and dependable alongside Oscar Fantenberg.  Probably the best d pairing tonight.

ok. so it doesn't sound like it was our defense that let us down, but our forward group. 

with the character of them forwards - Bo, Brock, Petey, Miller, etc. They'll bounce back tomorrow and push the Blues to elimination. 

Let's go Canucks! 

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

ok. so it doesn't sound like it was our defense that let us down, but our forward group. 

with the character of them forwards - Bo, Brock, Petey, Miller, etc. They'll bounce back tomorrow and push the Blues to elimination. 

Let's go Canucks! 

Actually the top four defensemen were actually the issue tonight along with the forwards.  Lots of bad passes and unable to clear the puck led to the Blues spending a lot of time in our own zone.  

Stecher and Edler were the worst of the pairings.  But yes, quick reset, focused for a W tomorrow night.

14 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Actually the top four defensemen were actually the issue tonight along with the forwards.  Lots of bad passes and unable to clear the puck led to the Blues spending a lot of time in our own zone.  

Stecher and Edler were the worst of the pairings.  But yes, quick reset, focused for a W tomorrow night.

Edler and Tanev gotta be making better breakout passes to the forwards, but maybe it was one of those games where the team overall just wasn't very good. Though, thanks to Markström, the team almost won even when they were just about at their worst. 

• 4 weeks later...

2M is a lot to pay someone on the bench most nights. I think with Fantenberg out-playing him, JB has a decision to make with Benn. He's only got a year left but could be traded for a late pick, especially if we can sneak Juolevi and/or Rafferty into our top-6 for the same price. His physicality is something we really lack though (although Fanta played brilliantly physically) and would be nice to have for the big matchups during the season.

Tricky one for JB, I wonder if he's going to try and get rid of one of Stecher/Benn, or both. That depth on defence is going to be what decides the next season with so many likely back-to-backs though. Whatever he does, he loses some quality. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 12:05 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Yeah he was pretty stable and dependable alongside Oscar Fantenberg.  Probably the best d pairing tonight.

He looks far more poised and comfortable on his off side.

I came here to ask this. I haven’t looked at stats or anything, more the eye test, but did anyone else think Benn looked much better once he was put in the right side? I thought he played pretty solid once he was moved to his off side...

wondering if he could pull off the 3rd pairing right side along side Juolevi the way Schenn first did for Hughes?

6 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I came here to ask this. I haven’t looked at stats or anything, more the eye test, but did anyone else think Benn looked much better once he was put in the right side? I thought he played pretty solid once he was moved to his off side...

wondering if he could pull off the 3rd pairing right side along side Juolevi the way Schenn first did for Hughes?

I'd prefer to see if we can move him and replace him with a cheaper contract for Fanta but moving him may be difficult and what you propose is certainly possible.

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

When Schenn left..I was lil upset..he had grit and could do clean hits.

Yeah, I was mildly upset when he left as well.  We needed a big hitter like Schenn, and still do.  The problem however is that's all he could do.  We need someone who can make a hit and make a play.  One dimensional players are difficult to keep in the lineup in this new NHL.  I think that the Canucks were hoping for more hitting and better all around play from Benn.  Maybe it's still there, maybe not.  He is rather expensive for a 7th D, but at the same time in my opinion we need more than 6 NHL caliber defencemen to keep up with the inevitable injuries and still rack up wins.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, Fred65 said:

Every player in the NHL new don't mess with Schenn

Really? I'm not so sure about that. Sure the guy is built like a tank and could lay a clean hit, but he's not that fearsome of a player outside of that. As a fighter, he's fairly subpar.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:16 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Really? I'm not so sure about that. Sure the guy is built like a tank and could lay a clean hit, but he's not that fearsome of a player outside of that. As a fighter, he's fairly subpar.

What I recall was when Pettersson got into a fray Schenn was right there and here's the important part, every one backed off. Reputation avoids a lot of fights. He was a tough guy in TO and his name has a certain history.

FYG he went with Matt Martin, Tom Wilson, Chris Thorburn, amongst others

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

If the Canucks can't move Benn, then I would like to see the coaching staff give Benn a try on the right side.  I know it's not idea for the coaching staff's planning, but basically everyone always points out that Benn really played his best while on the right side with MTL.

I get that Benn hasn't played as well as we would have hoped, but if he's really better on the right side, then wouldn't it make sense to put him in a position to succeed?

On 10/29/2020 at 4:25 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks can't move Benn, then I would like to see the coaching staff give Benn a try on the right side.  I know it's not idea for the coaching staff's planning, but basically everyone always points out that Benn really played his best while on the right side with MTL.

I get that Benn hasn't played as well as we would have hoped, but if he's really better on the right side, then wouldn't it make sense to put him in a position to succeed?

With the left a pretty likely lock with Hughes, Edler, and Fanta, playing Benn on the right could make some sense.

2 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Fanta signed in the KHL. We're probably looking at a mix of Benn/Juolevi/Rafferty/Rathbone for the third pairing.

Oops. Don't know where Fanta came from - he's long gone. And if he wasn't, I'd be calling for an upgrade. I 100% meant Juolevi. Rathbone is a possibility, but I really expect Juolevi for his defensive game.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, kloubek said:

Oops. Don't know where Fanta came from - he's long gone. And if he wasn't, I'd be calling for an upgrade. I 100% meant Juolevi. Rathbone is a possibility, but I really expect Juolevi for his defensive game.

I think Benning feels that we have the guys in house, who can replace Fanta as well as Stecher. If Juolevi or Rathbone (don't rule out Brisebois or Rafferty), can outplay Stecher, with Schmidt in to replace Tanev, on defense, we look as good or better than last year. 

I also think that Benning is hedging that we are going to have more guys staying with the team, even if they don't count, as its really unlikely that we'll be able to function with Utica this season on sending down and recalling.

• Cheers 3

• 1 month later...