The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will You Marry Me?

Maginator

Hi all,

I dont use reddit or any other forum - so this is where I will ask!

I'm wanting to propose to my girlfriend of 2+ years. However, I'm not sure about the protocol on rings.

Obviously I will propose with a ring, but...

Should I also purchase a ring for myself?

Do I propose with a ring, then we go and find 2 more rings (for he & she)? Is the proposal ring only for that - a proposal?

Cheers!

GCG!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Hi all,

I'm wanting to propose to my girlfriend of 2+ years. However, I'm not sure about the protocol on rings.

Do I propose with a ring, then we go and find 2 more rings (for he & she)? Is the proposal ring only for that - a proposal?

Cheers!

GCG!

somehow find her ring size, buy a beautiful diamond ring and propose to her

@Justdean10pretty much summed it up

I kinda followed that.  I first bought the engagement ring (knowing it had a good band that would go with it, but didn't buy that at the time you can run the risk of that band getting discontinued come wedding day though).

Once wedding time neared we bought the bands together.  We found the band that matched her engagement ring, and I picked out a band that I liked (they were both white gold, so they kinda matched)

Edit:  AND GOOD LUCK!!!!:towel:

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Hi all,

Cheers!

GCG!

find a way to travel back in time to a point where proposing didn't have to be so complicated ask her in that time and come back to the present. that just seems easier.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

find a way to travel back in time to a point where proposing didn't have to be so complicated ask her in that time and come back to the present. that just seems easier.

Yeah

I kinda think the OP should wait a few years. 

OP- for how long have you lived together?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Buy an engagement ring to propose with, then buy wedding bands together after. She'll probably want to wear the engagement ring with the band, so you can try to match them after.

solid advice right here. 

it doesn't have to be something off the charts, a very simple gold band with maybe a tiny diamond setting is a nice choice. Pick a #7 if you can't find her actual size it will probably be close enough. It won't really matter she'll be so happy that you can't really get this wrong. 

oh and follow your heart, not the negative ninnies on here. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

Congrats! (hopefully she says yes)

I think traditionally, the man (or person #1) buys the woman (or person #2) an expensive diamond ring, finds the perfect moment, gets down on one knee and proposes. Once engaged, the couple buys wedding bands. 

Is this considered old fashioned? Things might be different today.

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Stay bf/gf. Half of marriages end in divorce and she'll take your possessions or even worse if you have kids. The court is not ever on your side here. 

Common law still gets half.....

Which is actually 2/3 after the lawyers take their cut. 

12 hours ago, Justdean10 said:

you propose with an engagement ring and then when it's time to get married you shop for wedding bands I guess.

or I think you can buy sets, so the Engagement ring and wedding ring match.

12 hours ago, StealthNuck said:

Buy an engagement ring to propose with, then buy wedding bands together after. She'll probably want to wear the engagement ring with the band, so you can try to match them after.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

@Justdean10pretty much summed it up

I kinda followed that.  I first bought the engagement ring (knowing it had a good band that would go with it, but didn't buy that at the time you can run the risk of that band getting discontinued come wedding day though).

Once wedding time neared we bought the bands together.  We found the band that matched her engagement ring, and I picked out a band that I liked (they were both white gold, so they kinda matched)

Edit:  AND GOOD LUCK!!!!:towel:

So,

The man typically wont be wearing a ring until we actually get married?

That is where my confusion is coming from...

Once engaged, do I wear a ring? Or no? I'm thinking "no" - judging by some of the responses. Wait till the wedding.

Thanks for the advice.

And oh, I dont care what people have to say lol. I've done the opposite of what people have told me my entire life.

Always thought I was against marriage till I met my woman :)

• Upvote 1

Believe it or not this is my wheelhouse 

Buy her the engagement ring.  But seriously do it on the sly.  You can actually have her pick her own ring out if you're sneaky about it.  With my wife we were walking through a mall one day and I said "oh I need to stop and see about one of those charm bracelet gifts for my nieces birthday" and while we were there she of course was looking at things.  A day later I went back on my own and got that ring that she had essentially hand picked.  I proposed 10 months later.

The wedding bands should be a partnered choice.  These are the tokens of love you both agree to wear for each other for life.  After the engagement is settled you deal with those.  Alternatively you can allow her to pick yours and you hers but that can be an issue especially with sizing.  Speaking of which, ensure you get her engagement band size while she's trying ti on.  You can even call the jewelry store in advance to ensure you get them to record her size.

When you propose.  try NOT to do it in a cliche manner where it is obvious.  This will be one of the most shockingly happy surprises of her life.  Avoid any showy things like doing it in front of her parents during an obvious visit, in a restaurant.  try to be sneaky do it on a random walk somewhere that holds a fair amount of sentimental value.  Like a walk you always take or a place that you remember being very special to you both but not in a way she would be completely alert to.  

Finally if you REALLY want to shine her on.  Hire a photographer to capture the actual engagement.  I do these; hiring for surprise engagements.  At no point in time over the 3+ dozen I've captured has it ever not been incredibly welcome as they make for amazing save the date cards and place settings on your tables during the reception.  If you do this ensure you met with your photographer in advance so they know the who the when and the where for you 

Finally; and this is important.  When you actually plan your wedding.  Do your best to ensure you're present for everything in the planning phase and keep your guest numbers essential.  Planning can spiral out of control very very quickly and this day belongs to you two, not siblings or families.

Congrats and good luck

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Maginator said:

So,

The man typically wont be wearing a ring until we actually get married?

That is where my confusion is coming from...

Once engaged, do I wear a ring? Or no? I'm thinking "no" - judging by some of the responses. Wait till the wedding.

Thanks for the advice.

And oh, I dont care what people have to say lol. I've done the opposite of what people have told me my entire life.

Always thought I was against marriage till I met my woman :)

No sir.  You will not traditionally in most cultures wear a ring.

Some european cultures have a man wearing a link or charm in tribute but no exclusively you will not wear an engagement ring.

• Upvote 1